Detane's NANOWAVE 9 project

detane

I just got a NANOWAVE 9 and did some Upgrades:
Hey whats up everybody, Happy Reefing.
Im new here, but have been a reefer for about 8 years. I wanted this nanowave 9 for my office, and since it comes with almost everything you need to reef, i bought it.
I did a lot of research and found that heat is a major flaw with this system do to the lack of air flow in the hood. Even though I bought a chiller, I dont want my light bill shooting through the roof, so I did a few mods. First I picked up my Rotozip and got to work on the vents, made them bigger. Next I separated the wiring from the moonlight and from the PC lights so I could install a timer. A timer is a great idea if you dont have a chiller and you want to keep the heat low. Having the heater on only at night, along with the skimmer, can really help reduce the heat. But since I did buy a chiller, I plan on leaving the heater on all the time, and only having the skimmer and moonlights activate at the night cycle.
I made a custom acrylic overflow surface skimmer using a 3/8" thick acrylick sheet. I also plan on venting out the rear lid allow better air flow.
My nano wave is still not running do to all the mods I'm making. I picked up this NANOWAVE-9 two days ago.lol
I already picked out and paid for a show piece rock full different coral, very colorful.
Pics of all my progress will be up very soon. Thanks everybody

detane

I set the tank up at my office today and I will be posting the pix of it tonight when I get back from work. Thanks for stopping by.

detane

This is the first day. I used live sand and rock from my larger tank to aid in the cycling process. The water got real cloudy when I added the sand (3pm). But so far the water has cleared up a bit and all the filtration has been running smoothly (6PM). The temp on the tank started at 68F, But has now on the chiller and external probe remaind steady at 78-79 F (6PM). The (Surface skimmer / Overflow I made) is also working, but I took it down a few times to help get all the small debrees through the filters faster.
I cant wait to see the tank tomorrow , YEAH!!!

detane

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2921638
Could you make them smaller?
lol.
I will put up some larger ones tonight. I'm still getting used to this forums image size constraints. but in the meantime here are some better size ones.lol

detane

Day 2 of the NANOWAVE 9 gallon tank.
Water has cleared up and the levels are on point (NITRATE, NITRITE, AMAONIA, CALCIUM, etc....). Water temp is also on point, 78-79 F. All I had to do today was clean out the sponges a couple of times to get rid of all the debrees in the water. Lucky for me this tank came with two sponge filters, so While I remove and clean one filter, I can replace it with the spare filter. Tomorrow I will add the Show Piece Rock

detane

Just a very large 10 pound show Piece Rock. And possibly some more smaller rock I will use as a base to suppor the larger rock, as well as provide some nice hiding places. By next week I will add a HIGH FIN GOBY and PISTOL SHRIMP.

detane

Yes. Everything in this nano tank that I am adding is coming out of my Larger 6 year established tank. The smaller rock is coming out of the refugium and it is full of tiger pods and other pods. The NANOWAVE-9 Refugium I filled with some chaeto macro algae.
The show piece rock I bought from my LFS about 2 weeks ago. It has been in their system for about 1 month. I am picking it up today and adding it to the NANOWAVE-9. Then by next week I will add the Yasha Goby/Pistol Shrimp so I dont overload the aquatic bio load.
I may even add a small fish just to make my guests happy.lol