Detroit Area LFS???

djminus1

Anybody from the Detroit area? I live in Troy, MI and I am looking for some places to buy fish. Locations in Oakland county preferred.
THANKS!

J

jrisgr8

I know of a few and can give you some run downs on them. It may be lengthly. If you want I can e-mail it to you. What are you looking for? Fish variety, tank knowledge? I know of a few places.

unleashed

ah another michigander I dont know too many places anymore in oakland co there used to be a place in waterford white lk area on M59 but i havent been there in yrs they used to be ok .but if you don't mind a little travel Im in wayne co.I use a place called fish dr in canton.there is another fish dr in mich different owners but my guy also speeks highly of them but im not sure where they are located.I only buy my fish from him never had any health problems from any of them.hes reasonably priced and knows what hes doing.and if he doesnt have what your looking for hes normally willing to order it for you.I drive 40 min out of my way just for his services.hes on lilly rd in canton from troy just up 94 west to 275 N
to mich ave w. north on lilly

djminus1

Thanks for the info guys. You can email me at djminus1@hotmail.com. I have been going to a place in the Utica area called Kees. The guy I talk to there is pretty knowledgable but I want a couple options of places to go. They really specialize in reef stuff so I guess I am looking for more fish.
Email me with what you got. I do appreciate it.
Thanks!

J

jrisgr8

One of the places i was going to recommend is Kees how funny. I do know of a few more. I will e-mail you.

yacobito

The other Fish Dr. is near me! It is located in Ypsilanti and I give it two thumbs up. They have best selection in my area, IMO. :jumping:

djminus1

Ypsilanti is probably about an hour from me. I might have to make a trek out there once though.
Thanks!

bseth90

I work in Troy and go to Atlantis on 14 mile road just east of crooks. The store is actually on the boarder of Clawson and Royal Oak. Small store, but the guy knows his stuff and is willing to deal or order you anything you want. Kees is nice as well, but the new store to "see" is on 15 and ryan north side....can't remember the name at the moment....Aquarium Shine is one of their names, but not the main one...you want to see some HUGE tanks go there. They have everything...little pricey though. You have to see the tank on the left as you go in...its huge. Then the back tank has some of the biggest corals I've ever seen.

J

jrisgr8

Yeah, I sent him that one. Aquatic Discoveries, Aquarium Shine is their aquarium dealer in there. HUGE tanks I agree. The 1 owner really knows his tank setups too (the shorter guy) he is really nice. I haven't been to the one at 14 and Crooks. I will have to stop in too since I am in the area as well.

bseth90

Yeah that's the name of the place. I was buying a 150 and checked them out 3 weeks ago. They were $87 more expensive than Atlantis was for the exact same tank. The guy I was talking with used to work at Aquanest - not sure if you ever went there- he was being an ass. Next time you're in there "Aquatic" look at the big tanks a little to your right when you first walk in there. I was in there with a builder friend of mine to look at their supports for their tanks, little research for mine" The tanks are held up by 2 drywall screws in the corners...total of eight screws...we couldn't believe it. We put a little pressure on one and it started to shake....they have three stacked up one above the other. We told the guy about it, but he just said that's the way they did it. We were shocked...what if kids tapped on them too hard, like they like to do, he just didn't care. But the tanks and everything looks nice....I just got a bad feeling that they didn't care...knew they were the biggest think they're the best. Again Atlantis is small, but he seems to have different types of fish - things I hadn't seen before. And I like the fact he'll deal with you....usually knocks 25.00 - 30.00 off my bill and his prices are already low. Talk to him and he'll get you anything you need within a week....sounds like a sales pitch, but I like him and trust him which is rare.

J

jrisgr8

I will have to check him out. I didn't even know there was a store over there. The one owner at aquatic (co-owner) is a real jerk. I'm pretty sure that is the one you were talking to. Was he kinda tall? Anyways...I will have to check out Atlantis for sure.

bseth90

Yeah kina tall with graying hair..he was an jerk at Aquanest as well. Atlantis is in a small strip mall north side of 14.

gatorsfan

Just FYI i live in the white lake area and the petshop on m-59 is all freshwater. i was there a week ago and not one thing for was for saltwater. But if ur interested in a parrot they have some nice ones:D

J

jrisgr8

Yeah kina tall with graying hair
Yep. that's him. The other guy (kinda short) actually worked at Kees for a while he said.
Just FYI i live in the white lake area and the petshop on m-59 is all freshwater. i was there a week ago and not one thing for was for saltwater. But if ur interested in a parrot they have some nice ones
At least I know where to go for a parrot :D

unleashed

ohh yeh i remember auqanest that place was discusting 20 yrs ago.I dont think I ever went back im shocked they still exist

unleashed

Originally posted by bseth90
Unleashed...They don't anymore...shut down about three years ago

ohh tg like i siad they were discusting

djminus1

By the way...went to Aquatic Discoveries today...friggin cool store. I agree, a little on the pricey side. Fun to look though.
:D