Diamond Goby + Eggcrate = ?

arvins

Hey all, we have a 55 gallon tank with a pair of clowns, clown wrasse and tomini tang in it. Wanted to add a diamond goby to the mix IF the eggcrate will keep it on the inside of the tank that is.
1 1/2 - 2 inch sand bed but we do have an additional 20lb bag of live sand that we intend to add as soon as we do the next water change so that we can use the discard water to kind of rinse the sand a bit.
So anyone have experience with this fish and eggcrate?? Would love to know if you guys thing the eggcrate will keep him in or if we should just look for a different ground dwelling fish instead. Thanks for the help.

kaingers

Many will tell you that eggcrate aka lighting diffuser will not keep a goby from jumping. I had a diamond goby in a 10g tank with the diffuser covering the tank for over 2 months, and the day I forgot to put it back over the tank after feeding he jumped.

arvins

We always put the eggcrate back on but I can see something coming up and forgetting to do it.
Hmm any other ground dwelling, sand cleaning, reef safe fish you might advise?

flower

I have had a diamond goby and a golden headed sleeper goby, I have never covered the tank, and have never had one jump at all. They stay on the bottom of the tank and hide in the rocks.
I did however have a purple fire fish (a year before it jumped and died) and an $80.00 purple tile fish jump (3 days, 2nd jump it died). The purple fire fish goes right through egg crate, so now I use a mesh covering the egg crate.
I know people say diamonds jump...My tank is a 90g so it is much deeper than a 10g, perhaps that is the difference, but I think a 10g is too small for a diamond goby to start with. {This last part is just my opinion, I don't really know what a minimum size for one would be).

arvins

Thank you flower. We picked up the screen mesh and the goby tonight, so far he has gone nowhere near the top of the tank hes just spending his time on the sand.
Also on both good and not so good news...the missing green clown goby that we saw being eaten the other morning, well it turns out the green thing being eaten was a emerald leg hermit molt as within five minutes of adding the diamond goby "kermit" popped out of a rock and sat on the powerhead
Hopefully they get along and hopefully we don't overload our system now....ah well have to watch the levels and if it goes wonky we'll pull the new guy and take him back I guess.
Thanks again for the advise all!