Did I get ripped off?

drizcol

I ordered some Select Fiji Premium Live Rockfrom a reputable livestock website. I bought a 45lbs box. It says in the discription that the peices are 6" to 14" in size and they have 80-90% colraling coverage. Once it arived I was shocked to see that 1/3 of the box was live rock rubble. and the other 2/3 were large peices. Im not an expert but it looks to me like there is about 10-20% coraline coverage. I paid more for this because of the discription of size and coraline coverage. Is there any thing that I can do?
here are some pictures

R

reeffer

Originally Posted by DRIZCOL
I ordered some Select Fiji Premium Live Rockfrom a reputable livestock website. I bought a 45lbs box. It says in the discription that the peices are 6" to 14" in size and they have 80-90% colraling coverage. Once it arived I was shocked to see that 1/3 of the box was live rock rubble. and the other 2/3 were large peices. Im not an expert but it looks to me like there is about 10-20% coraline coverage. I paid more for this because of the discription of size and coraline coverage. Is there any thing that I can do?
here are some pictures

ouch...well some times that happens, i wouldnt buy from them again, i just ordered 88lbs a couple weeks ago and it was amazing. i would show you pics but thats just mean :scared:

dea_mt

contact the vendor they should work w/ you
and may i ask who you got it from? i'm planning on ordering rock soon and i wanted to steer clear

jon321

As far as sizes go, looks about the same as every box Ive ever gotten. 1-2 large peices, 4-5 medium peices, and lots of small peices and rubble. As far as quality goes, it looks pretty pathetic for premium quality rock.
Jon

R

reeffer

Originally Posted by Jon321
As far as sizes go, looks about the same as every box Ive ever gotten. 1-2 large peices, 4-5 medium peices, and lots of small peices and rubble. As far as quality goes, it looks pretty pathetic for premium quality rock.
Jon

i dont know where you get your rock from but im glad i dont live there
i have never got a box with more than 5lbs of ruble, i always go through my LFS i dont buy there pre'cured crap i have them order me a box and pick it up still in the box-they let me look at it before it goes home though..

drizcol

Again I am not an expert, but is this figi?
the picture on the website looks like this
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20040422212235/www.***********.com/images/products/large/p_90024.jpg
the stuff I got looks a lot different to me.

R

reeffer

i know where thats from, dont buy theres again my bad, you didnt say you bought it from them right

R

reeffer

Originally Posted by DRIZCOL
Yeah I thought that would help people figure that out
did you buy from them?

style23

i was looking for just the place to show off my new rock.....
i cant justify buying rock offline in bulk because you never know what your going to get, although you will probably pay almost 2x as much, you can hand pick pieces from a LFS...atleast thats how i feel right now, as im stocking a 20 gallon, we will see if i change my mind when i stock my 125.
sry, couldnt resist, this rock came in at a whopping 9lbs, we thought it was going to be atleast 12, it is about 12" in diamiter, somewhat flat, at like 4-5" thick, with a hole in the middle....

i go to this pet store alot, so instead of it being $80 like it was supposed to be, they charged me $50

unleashed

this is a prime example of why I pay LFS prices for all of fish supplies I know what I am getting before I pay for it .If by chance something is wrong with it I take it back and get a replacement free of charge.if i break they work with manufacterers to have it repaired or replaced.for this service im more than will to pay more.I know im covered at least with my LFS I am

mudplayerx

I have to see rock before I buy it. Nothing against online vendoring at all... but live rock is the very foundation of your tank.

fisherson

I bought about 50lbs off the major auction site and was very happy with what i got and it was only 2.10 a pound. i had to do some scrubbing but the peices were nice and i made a really nice setup with caves and everything.
Must be a hit or miss....

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The rubble situation is pretty bad. Did it break up in transit? Or did they just give you leftovers?

dadummy

IMO florida aquacultured rock is the way to go. fiji has not impressed me, plus too many horror stories. If you do a google search for floridaliverock something should turn up. A fellow named Dale helped me out. I bought a 30 lb mix of deco and coraline, looked just like the pictures, with all the hitchhikers and sponges included.rock was fresh, amonia levels rose slightly, no major spike. recieved better rock than I can get at LFS for cheaper.

reefiness

ive ordered Fiji rock from them and a little bit was rubble but not that much. but as far as the coralline goes give it time. thats exactly what mine looked like when i bought it but now some of them are about 90+% covered.
another rick i woudl suggest from that website is the carribean rock. although it has very little coralline the pieces came really nice and 2 of them were huge like 20lbs.
also if you buy this rock you should try to find a couple pieces of live rock with a lot of coralline on them because my carribean rocks are now also starting to show signs of purple and green coralline.
Also another thing i sisnt like about the carribean is that it was totally uncured so dont plan on curing it in your house becayse it smells but i think it was worth it!

S

scoobs

I just got a 45lb box off these same people last week. I had maybe.. 3 or 4 pounds of rubble rest was nice stuff.. Im happy with what i got so far i hope they will work with you on this. Keep us posted PLEASE!