meowzer

OK
TESTS:
ammonia, nitrate, nitrite....all 0
P.H. 8.3
Calcium 450
Alk 2.2 milli (?)
Phosphates....over 2...but not as high as 5
SOOOO I do not know if the phosphates would do this....I bed they are going up cause the hair is being taken care of
I am in the process of putting a phosphate pad in the sump tray, and I will add some phosguard to a filter bag, and hang in aquarium
any other suggestions????

nissan577

i really dont know what to tell you. maybe Henry can help you. I wish it doesnt die

how long have you had him?

spanko

Got the PM. Phosphates going up can certainly be a result of the hair algae being "taken care of". Maybe you are not doing enough as the hair algae is going away. As it dies it releases pent up nitrates and phosphates back into the tank. Are you removing it as it dies? Are you increaseing your water changes as it dies? A bag of phosgard would do better in an area of high flow, where the display water empties into the sump perhaps, forcing hte water through it. Water changes, Water changes, Water changes............it sometimes amazes me how much better coral will look after a good water change.

meowzer

I just did a 25G w/c Sunday...I will plan on another this weekend also....I remove the hair constantly..that is what is not being eaten by the seahare and sally's...
I put a phosphate pad in the sump, and a bag of the phosguard in front of flow...
Does that sound ok to you...do you think I should do more????

spanko

I would up the water changes, this is the 225 gallon right, to at least 20 percent or as high as 50 percent. Dilution is the solution to pollution, to quote some famous reefer whom I cannot remeber his name right now. I would not leave the phosguard in the display if that is where it is. Remember for the seahare, algae in, poop out. And lots of it. Containing the phoshates. I would skim wet for a while, a couple of weeks anyway. I would change out the filter floss, if that is what you are using, every day. You gotta get the water clean. The Cynarina does not look too bad. Clean water me thinks will do wonders for this coral. They are susceptible to infections. Hope yours does well here.

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3128121
I would up the water changes, this is the 225 gallon right, to at least 20 percent or as high as 50 percent. Dilution is the solution to pollution, to quote some famous reefer whom I cannot remeber his name right now. I would not leave the phosguard in the display if that is where it is. Remember for the seahare, algae in, poop out. And lots of it. Containing the phoshates. I would skim wet for a while, a couple of weeks anyway. I would change out the filter floss, if that is what you are using, every day. You gotta get the water clean. The Cynarina does not look too bad. Clean water me thinks will do wonders for this coral. They are susceptible to infections. Hope yours does well here.
Thanks Henry...The most I can do is 25G's...unless I get a bigger can...I think I will next week...I will do 25G again Saturday...it will take me that long to get it ready....I change the felt, and floss every other day...I can up that too....
P.S. the phosphate stuff in in the sump
The brain has always been so full and beautiful....I hope it gets better

flower

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3128128
Thanks Henry...The most I can do is 25G's...unless I get a bigger can...I think I will next week...I will do 25G again Saturday...it will take me that long to get it ready....I change the felt, and floss every other day...I can up that too....
P.S. the phosphate stuff in in the sump
The brain has always been so full and beautiful....I hope it gets better

...it was beautiful...hope it gets better.

spanko

Do 25 gallon changes every three days or so then. Keep testing the phosphates and watching the coral. You should see some improvement after a few changes. **********crosses fingers*********

meowzer

LOL...keep them crossed...i am going to get a 65G trash can next week....if it fits in my car....hey...LOL...Me and my husband will go to eat in his truck...I'll get dinner and a 65G trash can too YAYYY
I will do the 25G this weekend, and plan for a 40-50 on Wednesday...How does that sound???

spanko

Sounds okay to me, the real qualifier is the condition of the coral.
I just want to throw this out to those reading this thread. While we are taking care of any algae problem we need to remember that what the algae "consumes" is light and fertilizer. When it dies it releases the fertilizer back into the display. This is how growing and harvesting macro algae works, you let it grow, it uses up nitrates and phosphates and when you prune it out goes the bad stuff. If you just treat it by making it die all that stuff goes right back in the water and causes a big problem because it is there all at once. When you are treating an algae concern manual removal is a required part of the treatment along with water changes.

A

abeandlulu

I hope everything works out well. Its is a very pretty coral. Keep us posted.