Dinosaurs and the Bible

m0nk

rainmkr07 - You sound like a perfect candidate for Buddhism. You want to believe in God and Jesus, but you have so many lingering doubts that it makes belief difficult. I was the same way for a long time, and being scared of the thought of no afterlife was the only thing that kept me "believing". However, there is an alternate "path"; put yourself in the moment and stay there. It's an awakening, when you realize that what happened before and what will happen after your life should have no bearing on the moment. Be a good person, follow certain moral guidelines, and be awakened to what's happening around you right now.
This is also the basis for meditation. It's basically bringing yourself into the moment. You don't have to meditate. You also don't have to disbelieve in God or Jesus; the Buddha never confirmed or denied any belief in God, just admitted that it didn't matter if you lived a good life. Karma is what keeps you honest; do good deeds and you'll have good Karma. There's also Nirvana and Reincarnation, if you're still worried about the dying thing.

Here's a link to more info if you'd like to know more:
http://buddhism.about.com/od/introdu...budbeliefs.htm
I'm not trying to make waves, just thought this might help the OP.

pontius

I think the whole co-existence of dinosaurs and man is pretty silly. did man exist over 65 million years ago, or did dinosaurs exist within the past 15,000 years that man has existed? even if man was using -s-p-e-a-r-s (??) and arrows at that point, I think they wouldn't be very helpful considering T-Rex was somewhat small compared to other members of the Tyrannosaurus family.
I just think:
1. dinosaurs weren't known to man at the time the Bible was written, and even if they had been, there was probably not the proper language to describe such a thing to make the readers of that time understand it.
2. God put dinosaurs on the earth and then killed them, so they are unimportant and really don't matter in the scheme of things.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by rainmkr07
http:///forum/post/2506109
Hello everyone. I had a question I wanted to pose to you all. First off, I guess I consider myself an Atheist, but one that really wants to be a Christian and believe in Jesus, God, and the Bible. The idea of death without an afterlife, quite honestly, scares the crap out of me. Anyway, my problems with the Bible are many, and include things as Evolution, a virgin having a child, the earth being created in only a few days, and so on. Anyway, the point of this post has to do with another problem I have with the Bible, and I wanted to know if anyone else thought this way too, or if any of you religious types actually had a response to this question I present. The question is this, why was their no mention of dinosaurs in the Bible? I feel like, people at the time, had no knowledge of dinosaurs (through fossils), and therefore they didn't include them when they "wrote the Bible." But how could a book that claims to explain, through God himself, the creation of the world, not include dinosaurs, when they roamed the earth for so many millions of years. The earth wasn't just created, and man placed on it... It's scientific fact that the earth was created, dinosaurs came long before man, and then came to be, on the earth. So doesn't the lack of dinosaur discussion in the Bible add to its lack of authenticitiy and reliability?
The word "dinasour" wasn't created till 19th or 18th century. They used the word "dragon" a little more often and I believe that word is in the Bible.

lexluethar

Although you may find it hard to swallow the fact that a virgin gave birth to the 'son of God' that goes along with the whole idea of faith. Because if you knew what what going to happen, or you knew there was a God because you've seen him(or her because in the original text the word was yawey sp* which had no denotion of male/female) it would be knowing, not believing. You won't ever know, you just have to have faith. Like what someone has already said, have you seen the end of the universe? Have you seen the core of our planet? or the creation of the milky way? no, you just have FAITH that it exists.

rainmkr07

Is there scientific evidence that man and dinosaurs roamed the earth together, only 5,000 years ago? I thought dinosaurs roamed the earth (through finding fossils deep in the earth, and carbon dating, millions of years ago?) I went to some of those links and they would have you believe man and dinosaur were both on earth at the same time, and dinosaurs were even aboard Noah's Ark, and that was less than 5,000 years ago?
Also - here is a new question, and I appreciate all of the many, very constructive replies to this thread already. Let's say there was Adam and Eve, or I guess more importantly, Noah and his family (since all other humans drowned except for Noah)...
How could 1 family, of 1 ethnicity, A. reproduce w/o serious inbreeding problems. and B. "become" black, asian, white, indian, latino? Evolution might support that... But w/o evolution, and assuming Noah was 1 ethnicity (white, black, doesn't matter), how could entirely seperate and distinct ethnicities form all around the world?

lexluethar

Now this is strictly from an educational standpoint - at my college i've taken a handful of religion classes. It is a state funded school, so they can't teach the writings, but they can look at it and teach it in a critical manner.
From the prospective of the flood, most of the findings that research has shown is that the flood didn't eraticate the entire earth, but rather really messed up the middle east. There was evidence that a flood occured all over the world, but not on the magnatidue of the bibles flood (b/c it was in the middle east). So although they though and felt that everything died, it was more of a "everything died around that area" - so native americans, africans, etc still lived.
On the topic of carbon dating, i haven't done a lot of research on it but apparently it is an inexact science - or that is what some believe. Just some of the stuff i remember from 8 years ago when i took those classes.

Not to go off the subject of dinosaurs. I have lost faith once in my life and thats when my 8 year old son passed away. I lost all beliefs. My friend told me something that made me think. She said, If I believe in God and it turns out that he is real then thats great but If I don't believe in him and he does
exist then I will regret it , so me believing in him I have nothing to loose. Now Im back on track and loving and praising him everyday.

rainmkr07

Originally Posted by gonefishcrazy
http:///forum/post/2506850
If I believe in God and it turns out that he is real then thats great but If I don't believe in him and he does
exist then I will regret it , so me believing in him I have nothing to loose.
Something seems wrong with this reasoning for believing in God?

phelpz

http:///forum/post/2506830
Is there scientific evidence that man and dinosaurs roamed the earth together, only 5,000 years ago? I thought dinosaurs roamed the earth (through finding fossils deep in the earth, and carbon dating, millions of years ago?) I went to some of those links and they would have you believe man and dinosaur were both on earth at the same time, and dinosaurs were even aboard Noah's Ark, and that was less than 5,000 years ago?
Also - here is a new question, and I appreciate all of the many, very constructive replies to this thread already. Let's say there was Adam and Eve, or I guess more importantly, Noah and his family (since all other humans drowned except for Noah)...
How could 1 family, of 1 ethnicity, A. reproduce w/o serious inbreeding problems. and B. "become" black, asian, white, indian, latino? Evolution might support that... But w/o evolution, and assuming Noah was 1 ethnicity (white, black, doesn't matter), how could entirely seperate and distinct ethnicities form all around the world?

You should really read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins if youre questioning all this. It talks about how its OK to be an Athiest, and I havent read the whole boke, it was kinda preachin to the choir, but it is a good book on the subject.
You can read the first chapter here, http://richarddawkins.net/firstChapter,1
I really dont understand why you would try to make yourself believe something you obviously dont.

I asked questions like this before and was told that the bible in times only focused on specific people and times. Who knows, at the time of Noah and his ark maybe in was only in one part of the world. You have to just believe in GOD and that he died on the cross for us.

phelpz

http:///forum/post/2506921
I asked questions like this before and was told that the bible in times only focused on specific people and times. Who knows, at the time of Noah and his ark maybe in was only in one part of the world. You have to just believe in GOD and that he died on the cross for us.
That was Jesus who died.

http:///forum/post/2506873
Something seems wrong with this reasoning for believing in God?
I was going through a rough time and that quote was taken out of two hours of conversation. I did not want to say the whole two hours of conversation but that those words made sense to me.You see, when I lost my son I wondered why he did not listen to my prayers to save my son and wondered if he exist then my son would not have died. Thats why me and my friend had conversations about believing.

1journeyman

Genetic weaknesses and negative traits occur in DNA mutations. The closer to the original DNA, the fewer mutations.
No one argues that all different ethnic groups are still from the same ancestors, whether you believe the Bible or not.

1journeyman

http:///forum/post/2506930
I was going through a rough time ...
That's human nature. When we go through difficult times we begin to look at the world through the "cup half empty" perspective.
Glad to hear you had good friends sticking with you.

lexluethar

He was a pretty cool cat from my understanding...
What does urk me off though is the interpretation that Jesus was a white man - kinda still on subject right?
I know in each part of the work Christians depict Jesus as their type of skin tone, but there are A TON of people out there that really do believe jesus was a white caucasian, living in the middle east...