dirty ray? plus other ?'s (pics)

adee

Here are some pictures I took today of our stingray.. is it just me or does it look "dirty" is it starting to get more adult/juvi colors? ive seen some other cortez rays that look nothing like ours (meaning more markings/colors/exc)

also, why is it stinger exposed? previously i had never seen it, perhaps hes getting ready to shed it?

and lastly, what are the markings on its disk? almost looks like it was bitten or rubbed.. i did see the eel put its mouth on the rays disk last night during feeding but didnt bite it, rather mistook it for food.

how often do you feed your ray? mine always seems hungry and were feeding it almost on a daily basis which i cant help but feel is way too often, its now greeting me at the front of the glass and follows me around the room its cute but is it appropriate?
comments?

crimzy

Originally Posted by ADEE
http:///forum/post/2974334
Here are some pictures I took today of our stingray.. is it just me or does it look "dirty" is it starting to get more adult/juvi colors? ive seen some other cortez rays that look nothing like ours (meaning more markings/colors/exc)

also, why is it stinger exposed? previously i had never seen it, perhaps hes getting ready to shed it?

and lastly, what are the markings on its disk? almost looks like it was bitten or rubbed.. i did see the eel put its mouth on the rays disk last night during feeding but didnt bite it, rather mistook it for food.

how often do you feed your ray? mine always seems hungry and were feeding it almost on a daily basis which i cant help but feel is way too often, its now greeting me at the front of the glass and follows me around the room its cute but is it appropriate?
comments?
Rays can change colors based on their moods and/or substrate. Nothing really to worry about.
Most, if not all stingrays do have their stingers visible to some degree. I doubt yours is shedding the stinger just based on its size. But it's nothing to worry about.
Hard to get a good look at the markings around the disk but if there are abrasions or marks then it is likely that there may be some aggression. Don't you have a puffer, or another aggressive fish with your ray?
You should feed the ray everyday.

adee

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2974440
Rays can change colors based on their moods and/or substrate. Nothing really to worry about.
Most, if not all stingrays do have their stingers visible to some degree. I doubt yours is shedding the stinger just based on its size. But it's nothing to worry about.
Hard to get a good look at the markings around the disk but if there are abrasions or marks then it is likely that there may be some aggression. Don't you have a puffer, or another aggressive fish with your ray?
You should feed the ray everyday.
thank you so much for answering all my questions!!
the only other fish in the tank is a yellow tang, firefish & pink/blue goby. otherwise i have a couple snails, butterfly got kicked out awhile ago (QT) we had a puffer at first but found out it wasnt compatible and we returned it the next day, the marking on its disk is new, but again i did see the eel put its mouth on the disk last night during feeding but i didnt think their disk was that delicate.. if your looking at the picture of it looking straight on and there is a blemish on the disk itself in the shape of an "L" turned on its side to the left of its right eye. glad to hear it needs to eat daily, thats what weve been doing.. how do you know if it is eating enough each day?

unleashed

http:///forum/post/2974334

comments?
when i had mine i fed it 3 times a day..he liked spectrum pellets so he got those twice a day and then some meaty foods at night before bed time.. as for gretting you at the front yep mine did that too they seam to know your the food source..
this was mine and his daily petting lol
http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ent=vid002.flv

meowzer

I feed mine once a day...one silverside, and one piece of medium raw shrimp (thinking of going to large though) I give it scallops as a snack sometimes too...I have noticed it seems hungrier lately, but it has also grown quite a bit (the reason I may switch to large shrimp) so I have been giving it a little squid too.

naclh2o nut

Cool, how big do they get? I want one
, but 90 gal, lots of rock and starting to fill up with corals and fish.
What is recommended tank size? etc.....

adee

I believe 180 or larger... our ray is tiny right now and were planning an upgrade in a couple years. we have very little rockwork in our tank (see ADEE's 125) thread in "share your aquarium" so the ray has more than enough room to swim around in. ive heard they grow fairly slow, i guess i personally will see soon enough. they certainly are really neat to have around, i love ours!!

meowzer

http:///forum/post/2976257
I believe 180 or larger... our ray is tiny right now and were planning an upgrade in a couple years. we have very little rockwork in our tank (see ADEE's 125) thread in "share your aquarium" so the ray has more than enough room to swim around in. ive heard they grow fairly slow, i guess i personally will see soon enough. they certainly are really neat to have around, i love ours!!
I don't know about the growing slow thing...Mine was 3" when I got her, and now after 6 months she is at least 7" (can't measure right now I'm at work LOL)
BUT I do agree with the tank size...I have a 225 and after experiencing first hand owning one, I wouldn't get anything smaller than that...

gasguzzler

Yeah, I agree a 180 is pretty narrow for adults. Something larger is definately recommended, as far as Im concerned, as a minimum.

naclh2o nut

http:///forum/post/2976257
Thanks, I will try to get DW to want one. Then I can upgrade
. Until then I will just have to watch others. So any one that has one post some pics and VIDEOS!!!

auroradrvr

Many wholesalers, importers, distributors, etc. will clip the ray's barb to prevent it from puncturing the bag. What you are seeing is that it is finally growing back.