Diving Great Barrier Reef

S

sexyshrimp101

Those pics are amazing! Gorgeous clams, how big were they? They look ginormous

fishzen

Thanks for the comments.
Yes, the picture looks like a tank, but if you look closer, at the fish, the tank would have to be huge, maybe I should start saying that it is my tank

Unfortunately the size to post is too small, but at the center top there is a fish that look like a lawnmower hard to confirm the species even with the original 3 gig picture.
That trip was back in October. I went diving out of Port Douglas and Cairns.
The clows, I saw tomato, marroon and sebae (I think?) hard to say the size (I'm pretty bad at that), they did not like me getting too close, and some of the pictures were done while snorkeling to a depth of 25-30 feet, but I'll say on average 4 inches, the smallest was the tomato and was at least 2 inches.
The clams were fantastic, huge and hundreds of them everywhere.
This is the closest I saw to game fish, don't even know the name of the fish, the dive masters started to feed them from the boat and was trully a feed frenzy, have not seen that since I did the shark feeding in Bahamas.

ameno

That has to be some great diving, we were all set to do a dive trip there this next summer with a one week live aboard, but when we saw the price for me and the wife was going to be over 12k decided to pass and just plan another cozamel trip. Hopefully we can go someday. Thanks for sharing the pics

B

bonita69

Originally Posted by Mach03InFront
SWEET thanks for sharing!

the second picture posted looks like an actual aquarium !!! with the back ground painted blue! hahah

We all wish our tanks looked this good....I just have to say wow! I want to dive someday.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by ameno
That has to be some great diving, we were all set to do a dive trip there this next summer with a one week live aboard, but when we saw the price for me and the wife was going to be over 12k decided to pass and just plan another cozamel trip. Hopefully we can go someday. Thanks for sharing the pics
Wow...
Book through australia.com... much better deals.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by fishzen
That trip was back in October. I went diving out of Port Douglas and Cairns.
I love Port Douglas. I take dive trips on the Aristocat every chance I get while I'm there. I didn't like the diving out of Cairns as much.

kanicky

8-|
Wow.
I have always, always wanted to dive the Great Barrier Reef.
It must be such an amazing experience... Maybe that's what I'll do on my honeymoon

Curious, did you see a lot of sharks? How long do you usually stay under?
I'd probably wish I could grow gills and fins and never emerge

Great pictures! Thank you so much for sharing them

ameno

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Wow...
Book through australia.com... much better deals.
Thanks I'll check it out, this was thru are dive group, he does not always find the best deal, but said the price in the last few years has almost doubled because of fuel and such. We'll see, would love to do this one time at least.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by ameno
Thanks I'll check it out, this was thru are dive group, he does not always find the best deal, but said the price in the last few years has almost doubled because of fuel and such. We'll see, would love to do this one time at least.
You can typically get airfare from LA to Sydney for less than $1000 per person. Airfare from Sydney to Cairns is cheap.
Diving in Port D. will run you close to $200 a day per person though
for daily trips (3 dives). I've never checked into live aboards that typically leave from there.The good thing is Port D. is settled right in an ancient rain forest and has an amazing beach. Plenty to do, great drives and hikes, countless national parks, etc.
The trip won't be cheap, no question.... but it can be done for a lot cheaper than $12,000

reefstar22

I've been to the reef. - You can get there from Omaha NE to LA to Sydney for around $950 if you put out enough notice. - If your certified to dive before you go, and you bring most of your equipment its even cheaper than listed above.
Bring your own stuff/find a local to take you out. - You can have a day trip for $100ish.
Best thing though is to bring your own stuff. - If you were glass's like I do its nice for the simple fact that your mask can be set up to your prescription. :)

fishzen

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
I love Port Douglas. I take dive trips on the Aristocat every chance I get while I'm there. I didn't like the diving out of Cairns as much.
I went with Silversonic and Silverswift. The trip from Sydney to Cairns went for around $300. I stayed at Cairns, definitely if you can stay at Port Douglas, much nicer, plenty of river rafting and rainforest stuff to do.
But watch out for the Drop Bears
google it

fishzen

Originally Posted by Reefstar22
I've been to the reef. - You can get there from Omaha NE to LA to Sydney for around $950 if you put out enough notice. - If your certified to dive before you go, and you bring most of your equipment its even cheaper than listed above.
Bring your own stuff/find a local to take you out. - You can have a day trip for $100ish.
Best thing though is to bring your own stuff. - If you were glass's like I do its nice for the simple fact that your mask can be set up to your prescription. :)
Definitely take your own mask, snorkel, fins, boots and wetsuit. The price difference for the dives renting the rest is not that big considering you have travel already plenty of miles to get there.

nycbob

wow awesome! i'd love to see the reef someday. hopefully the reef will still be here in the future.