DIY 120 reef build......

ameno

yep keeping you honest, have not seen anything on your thread in awhile, Just had to make sure your not slackin on us

One thing to keep in mind, if you go with the OM super squirt, they cause quit a bit of head loss. I used the snapper and I think ended up around 1600 gph. not near what I expected. so I'm looking at a stronger pump.

turningtim

Isn't that only good for around 1000gph? Or are you just pushing it so you can break it AGAIN!
I thought the mak4 would be pushing it. You like the snapper though?

ameno

no the OM super squirt is good for 2400 gph. And the way the drum outlets are it takes some wierd piping to get it to do a wave effect, so with all the Ell's and the OM it just pulls the flow rate down a lot, the snapper does not have the head pressure to work like I wanted it to. One of the guys in are club just set the super squirt up with a dart and so far works fine, I'm gona find out more about it in a few weeks, but I may upsize if that works, I just wasn't sure what would happen running 3600 gph thru a OM rated for 2400 gph. Either I'll go with that or find a pump close to 2400 gph with a better head pressure.

turningtim

Did you go 2way or 4? I'm only going with the 2-way for that reason. To much piping and I want to keep it as clean as possible. Is it loud?

ameno

I'm doing the 4 way, no noise at all, other then a little rattle on the snapper fan cage, the OM just uses a small 1 rpm motor, you can't even tell it's running. It was a piping nightmare to set the 4-way up, as you have probably seen from my pics, but the wave effect is great. I'm glad I went that route.
If I had left enough room in back of the tank to set the OM up by the top it would have worked out much cleaner. but thats what happens when you set up the tank before you get all the stuff for it.
If your going with a 2-way that may be only 1000gph.I think it is the same body as the 4-way though, just two outlets plugged.