DIY 120 reef build......

turningtim

Well after 18 months I'm finally to a point to show a couple of pics and the remaining process.

The tank itself is a 120 (60") that I picked up used. The only issue was the trim was cracked in a couple places and after a winter in my garage was completely shot. I bought a sheet of 1/4" cast acrylic and made my own trim. I know I could have just ordered it but I wanted the center brace to be clear and besides what fun would that be.
It is also drilled with a Weir damn OF 2@1" drains, 2@1" returns and a CL 1.5" in and 2@1" out. The CL will be split and jets will be placed in the front corners (pics later).
Stand is made to have a 50 gallon fuge and a 29 gal sump. Using an EV180 skimmer, but will be swapped out when I get to make one.
I'm thinking of using 2 Gen-x 40 pumps. 1 for return and 1 for the CL. Any input on some 1200 gph external pumps would be appreciated.
Lights I'm thinking either 3@ 175 MH (which I have) or The Ice Cap 60" T-5 retro's maybe 6-8 lamps.......
Heres a pic of the tank.

wattsupdoc

So I'm guessing here that you'll plumb the returns from the CL to front of the tank. I'll stay tuned to see that.

How did you make the brace? Heat bend and glue the corners I suppose? Or is it just silied in? How about the center brace? It looks like it has a raised area in it. Very professional job there Tim.

turningtim

Yup, the CL returns will be split in the tank. 2 to the front and 2 left in the back. Going to play with that today!
The trim is just sheet acrylic that I glued up. Basic box construction with some 3/4" pieces on top around the edge for reinforcement and then routed with a round over bit. The center brace is doubled up 1/4". The outside and 3/4" pieces are painted with black plastic paint. Then they were sili'd down in to place and backfilled will sili around the edges. So basically its a tray with reinforcing around the edge joints and center brace. the top I cut out the access holes. The bottom I just left solid which I think should strengthen/support the bottom glass.
I hate loc-line! But the Cl is probably going to have them on all four outputs. The return I'm thinking spray bar. Thats what I use on my 55 and like them.
Here are some more pics. Got the holes drilled for the 29 and 50. this will flow the water from the fuge to the sump. All of the plumbing isn't in place yet so bare with me.
Also a shot of the framed stand.
More Q's please! Its helping think this thing through!

ameno

Looking good

I'm in the process of building a 125, I'm leaning toward T5 versis MH.

turningtim

Originally Posted by ameno
Looking good

I'm in the process of building a 125, I'm leaning toward T5 versis MH.
I hear ya! 8@80w (60") over driven with IC 660's may be just to good to pass up. I'll use the 175 on a frag tank.
What pump/s are you using? I would love to go with Iwaki but man they're proud of those puppies.......

ameno

I was looking at the aquactinics constellation for lights, 14-39watt bulbs. Should be good without overdriving them from what I'm told. I just got the overflow cycling thru the fuge this weekend, I'm using a mag 12 for that, and I'm looking at the sequence snapper for the closed loop. Iwaki is a nice pump but your right they are a bit pricey. the snapper seems to be lower wattage then some of the others I've looked at, I'm wanting to keep that flow under 2400gph and use a OM to direct current on the closed loop. I ended up just drilling two holes for 1.5" bulkheads one for the closed loop and one for the overflow. Would like to have put in more holes for the return but drilling makes me a little nervious. I'm gona post some new pics of the progress this afternoon on my 125 build tread. It's finally coming together.

turningtim

Shot me the link for your thread if you would.
You think I'd blow up a SCWD on the CL with a gen-x 40x? The SCWD said it will take 4 psi @ 1400 gph. I think the pump will do about 6 psi and under 1200 gph.
Thats the thing when buying 2 pumps. I would be SHOT if I spent over 500 on pumps and then another several hundred on lights. I'm trying to keep my cash in the lights for this on.......

ameno

I don't thing you'll blow up your SCWD, but you'll be pushing it. You should just go with the ocean motion then no worries. And then you can put in a sequence snapper, there less then 200 bucks.

I know what your mean about being shoot, All I had to do was buy my wife the new bed she's been wanting and she doesn't mine near as much about all the money I'm having to spend on the tank. But now it's probably gona be another month before I can afford lights.

I'm not shure how to out in a link, But I'm about to update the tread here in a few minutes, it's in this section under (125gal tank project underway)

turningtim

Isn't the OM 4 way? I only want 2 way......
Just copy the browsers addy at the top of the page of the thread you want to link and then paste in the response box......

ameno

No they have a 2-way. From what I've heard the SCWD is noisy and restricts flow by about 30%. Don't know from experince just what I've heard.

microview

Two simple questions:
1) Why did you only paint one side of your tank (the left side as you look at it from the front)? (...because it is up against a wall??) and
2) Why the 'L' in your stand? (...same reason and it is required for the sump/fuge??)
The set-up looks great by the way...

turningtim

The tank will sit in a corner. the left side and back are up against walls. The stand is made for the tanks I had on hand to use for a sump. I'm constantly putting stuff on top of my lights, I just like the idea of the little shelf on the left side.....
So yes and yes...... you win!!LOL

grubsnaek

damn coming along nicely, also like the idea of people askin so you can plan better. i am the same way.

wattsupdoc

looking good Tim!
Hew if it were me, I'd be sure to make the doors on that removable. At least the two in the center near the L. i did that on my 125 on the ends and it makes life alot nicer when diggin around down there. Your gonna like having that shelf there. I've got a bench in the front of mine and its real handy.

turningtim

I remembered you did that. I was planning on doing the same thing but the whole side panel will be removed. it's hard to describe but I'm hoping the stand will look like a built in when its done.
Went and got a $100 bucks worth of PVC today.......