DIY 120 reef build......

grubsnaek

ut oh. pvc huh. yeah the juices are flowing now in the head i bet. only thing is as you keep getting things u want to keep it going. ur moving along nicely

ameno

I did a lot of pvc last weekend and I learned something about glueing pvc. If you spill the whole bottle of purple stuff on your linolium floor it will eat the plasctic right off the top, and make your whole house smell really bad

Lukely it's on the flooring were replacing or I would have really been in trouble.

turningtim

Well, I almost made a big mistake but I caught it. The plan is to plumb this thing and then bring it in. I put the tank on the stand but forgot to but the deck on the stand first, I also plan on using insulation on all the tanks so that should be even.
ameno, I looked at the OM squirt 2-way. Is that the one you are talking about? 1 issue is the same with the SCWD. Its only rated for a 1000 gph. I'm going to be pushing it. But the squirt looks pretty stout so I think I'm going with.
Or I could drill some more and get the 4-way! But thats like signing a death warrant!!! I'm trying to get this done while my wife is away.....
What do you think?
Doc, did you use magnets to hold the side panels. I see the cleat at the bottom. How did you rig it up?
grub, doing some drilling today, I'll take some pics for you.

grubsnaek

i will be drilling my 20L frag tank soon any pointers. i was told you a dremel on high speed. dont really push down as the bit will do its things. any tips, cant wait for pics though.

ameno

yea that's the two way I was talking about, they do have some type of bypass for over 1000gph, not sure what that is. I think you will be a lot happier with the OM. Go for the 4-way, you seem to have the hole drilling down pretty good, whats a few more holes
, me I'm running all of mine over the top, you could do that with two of the lines if you don't want to drill.
I'm still not 100% on what pump I want to buy, I want to get around 1800gph to get a good wave effect, But I haven't found any info on what type of head loss you get thru the OM, I'm thinking around the same as a tee in the line, I'm still leaning toward the snapper but not set on that yet.

wattsupdoc

The doors are all just pine stain grade panels from lowes. The rest of the outer "skin" are just 1x4's. Basicly if you took your frame and just ran 1/4's around the 2.x4's then that creates the outer "skin" and then use panels for the doors. I think it gives bigger openings to access that way. The bench is 1x12(wish it was deeper, but couldnt get it through the door otherwise).All edges are routed with roman olgee bit, not sure the size. I used a jigsaw and cut a small oval hand hole out on the removable doors, then 1/4 round bit. No knobs or anything and it looks clean that way..The end ones have a 3/4 cleat that just rests on the bottom of the opening. Glue and brad nailed on. Then a magnetic cabinet latch at the top. Might could use another, but it works pretty good. But I digress...
um yah magnets...

turningtim

Sorry guys! Wife out of town, Mother in town and kids on break! I have barely had a chance to breath! Also had to rebuild a OF I had made for someone that got damaged.
I did get the deck down under the stand for the sump/fuge but thats about all.
I also found a 75 that I may pick up for 60 bucks to replace my 55. The 55 decided to go postal on me with a viscous cyno outbreak. So I'm dealing with that too!
Anyway, I be back on track next week. Hopefully things will calm down!
Tim

turningtim

OK time for an update. Well a bit of a change in plan. Had to much time online and found a 80 gallon for $60 bucks so of course I had to buy it!
The 80 will replace the 55 I have now and will just make my life easier. Rather then moving the 55 I just have to transfer the livestock to the 80. Don't expect a cycle during the transfer and will add some base rock I have and some dry sand.
Heres a pic of the 80. I had to do a repair on the center brace b/c it was warped downward and had a crack in it. So a piece of cast acrylic, weld-on, nylon bolts did the job. Will be water testing today. Don't know if I will drill it b/c I still have to build a sump/fuge and a stand for it. The sump/fuge will be a cmoplete glass build from some 1/2" glass that I have.
Oh yeah I have to re-paint the 120 b/c I ruined the paint job. Better now then later!

ameno

Nice looking tank.
It will really look good once you get the holes drilled in it

You know you want too, so go for it, were behind you all the way

ameno

That's great, now lets get these puppies up and running.

Oh yea almost forgot, you got some holes to drill first

wattsupdoc

WoooHoooo
Way to go Tim. This hobby is like a Tumor isnt it? It just keeps growing and growing, until finally you bank account is eaten up by it.

mrinelfrlz

GREAT TANKS TIM!!
cant wait to see the finished project"S"
its going to be a very nice set up

you really know what your doing thats for sure
with out your help my project would have never came off the so called drawing board

thanks for all the help (even with my little OOPS!!!!)
but at least it didn't wind up being OOPS version 2.idiot

Thanks for my new found knowledge