DIY question! It's a surprise for my husband!

jimmy40741

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but I don't see how this is going to work with the way you have it drawn out (if you plan on having the tank where the bottom is above your television). You state that your closet is 65 inches tall, and if the light switch is say 35 inches off the floor then that only leaves you 30 inches to play with. If you had a tank built that's only 18 inches tall then that only leaves you 12 inches above the tank, and that is definately not enough room to do maintanence on a 36 inch tank front to back.
If you can move your TV someplace else then you have a pretty nice set up to do an in the wall tank. I think that you will probably have to have the tank made since I don't think a 48x36 footprint tank is real common. But you could have a 48x36x24 built and that would be approximately 180 gallons (close to what you want). And I would think that would be enough room to have a sump under it (like a 40 breeder) and enough room above for your lights and to do maintanence.
If I were you, at this point I'd grab a tape measure and decide what size you want your tank to be allowing sufficient room above and below the tank. Then use an online aquarium size calculator to figure up the gallons and weight. Remember to add to the weight since your sand and live rock will weigh more than the amount of water it is displacing. Then have those figures handy when your contractor comes by so he'll know how much weight you are talking about.
If you and your contractor decide it's do-able, then your next step would be deciding what size you want everything to be and start looking at ordering what you need.

nw2salt08

Thanks....It's going to be an interesting project but it's something we've always wanted and what better way to surprise him than to come home to a livingroom with new furniture and a beautiful inwall tank to look at. Talk about relaxing. Besides, he deserves it for everything he does for us. The fun part will be trying to keep the kids out of the way while I'm doing this. Probably send over to grandma's for a little bit. lol Besides, if I can get this thing down to a science with measurements and pictures, it might help someone here to realize that this project isn't impossible to do. I'll keep everyone updated.
Have to remember though, I won't be able to start this project til late April after husband leaves. I asked him today what kind of tank he'd make it if we had an inwall tank. Looks like it's going to be an agressive tank. We know that an eel will be going in and some sort of puffer but that's the beginning of the list so far.

nw2salt08

Originally Posted by Jimmy40741
http:///forum/post/2921266
I don't mean to sound discouraging, but I don't see how this is going to work with the way you have it drawn out (if you plan on having the tank where the bottom is above your television). You state that your closet is 65 inches tall, and if the light switch is say 35 inches off the floor then that only leaves you 30 inches to play with. If you had a tank built that's only 18 inches tall then that only leaves you 12 inches above the tank, and that is definately not enough room to do maintanence on a 36 inch tank front to back.
If you can move your TV someplace else then you have a pretty nice set up to do an in the wall tank. I think that you will probably have to have the tank made since I don't think a 48x36 footprint tank is real common. But you could have a 48x36x24 built and that would be approximately 180 gallons (close to what you want). And I would think that would be enough room to have a sump under it (like a 40 breeder) and enough room above for your lights and to do maintanence.
If I were you, at this point I'd grab a tape measure and decide what size you want your tank to be allowing sufficient room above and below the tank. Then use an online aquarium size calculator to figure up the gallons and weight. Remember to add to the weight since your sand and live rock will weigh more than the amount of water it is displacing. Then have those figures handy when your contractor comes by so he'll know how much weight you are talking about.
If you and your contractor decide it's do-able, then your next step would be deciding what size you want everything to be and start looking at ordering what you need.

The tv is going to be moved elsewhere in the living room. That wall will be solely devoted to the tank. You're already listing what's been put on paper here at the house. lol The tank will be a custom acrylic tank. This is the absolute very beginning of the project. Have to be careful where I put my info though. Husband doesn't know and I want it to stay that way. lol He doesn't get on here so it's safe. I'm looking at about 6 30# bags of sand....That's 180lbs....Then 150lbs LR to start out. Total weight in LS and LR equaling 330lbs.

acrylic51

Honestly.....love the plan so far!!!!!!!
First question I would ask is how or where are you planning to maintenance the tank? Meaning from the front or from your bedroom side? With doing an inwall I think alot of people don't take that into account, and you should honestly leave yourself some type of opening in the front of the tank to access things......It will make it alot easier and alot of people that have done inwalls and skipped that will now tell you it would have been wise to do......
Have you thought about tank dimensions? I know you threw gallonage figures out there but going by the dimensions you drew it will be honestly tough getting a 200-225 gallon tank in that space.....I would suggest since your opting for acrylic
that you make the tank at least 36" front to back.....the depth you would be please with IMO.......the length and width you can play with, but to figure what you could honestly squeeze depends alot on how you plan to perform maintenance IMO, but to help you along a bit figure exact space you have and take LxHxW/231 and you be able to calculate your gallonage.......
I'll be tagging along for sure!!!!!!!!

nw2salt08

Contractor came this morning... looks like this project is over. He wouldn't reccommend me building right there. He wanted me to build on the wall opposite of the room but we can't do that because of the entrance to the attic on the other side....looks like I'm ordering a large tank with a stand. But, my husband's inwall tank dream isn't over....when we move we'll take the large tank I'm getting and make sure to build specifically for this tank. Sorry to let you guys down....I'm so bummed right now...

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by Nw2Salt08
http:///forum/post/2924117
Contractor came this morning... looks like this project is over. He wouldn't reccommend me building right there. He wanted me to build on the wall opposite of the room but we can't do that because of the entrance to the attic on the other side....looks like I'm ordering a large tank with a stand. But, my husband's inwall tank dream isn't over....when we move we'll take the large tank I'm getting and make sure to build specifically for this tank. Sorry to let you guys down....I'm so bummed right now...

What was his reasons for not putting it there?

veni vidi vici

http:///forum/post/2925059
He said the wall wouldn't be structurally sound for a tank that size.

Did it occur to him that that's what he is supposed to be able to do ?Make it structurally sound,sheesh.It can be done,if you have the know how.Dont give up,call a carpenter.

sjk2840

Nw2salt08-dont give up on your inwall tank idea. My husband and I decided to remodel our laundry room over Christmas break-we had always talked about putting a tank through the wall-well, to make a long story short, one saturday as he knocked a hole through the wall- he asked what size opening do I need for a fish tank-after a few phone calls to my LFS, I ended up with an 80 gallon tank for Christams. It was a lot or work doing it-we had to reinforce the wall, move electrical outlets and make a stand for the tank-the hardest part was getting the tank flush with the exterior wall, and making it fit throughthe opening .. We used a cabinet that was originally there for storage, he cut it in 1/2 and fit it around the tank stand-we put slate on the counter top around the fish tank-we had to completely redo the drywall on the wall the tank is in-we just finished painting the sides of the tank black and we left the back open- its a see through tank- we're still not done, Im in the process of buying a skimmer and a sump for it. I'll post pictures later. It was work but totally worth it!!

nw2salt08

I'm not giving up on it....just contemplating on putting it off til we move. Husband is talking about moving out to the country eventually and building an inwall then. I'd hate to do all the work on this house and then leave it. Most people don't know that much about saltwater and I wouldn't want to leave my fish behind. It'd just kill me. What I'll probably do for now is go ahead and get the tank and stand....get everything established and then when we decide to get a new house do the work for an inwall there and then move the system over.

scsinet

http:///forum/post/2926886
I'm not giving up on it....just contemplating on putting it off til we move. Husband is talking about moving out to the country eventually and building an inwall then. I'd hate to do all the work on this house and then leave it. Most people don't know that much about saltwater and I wouldn't want to leave my fish behind. It'd just kill me. What I'll probably do for now is go ahead and get the tank and stand....get everything established and then when we decide to get a new house do the work for an inwall there and then move the system over.

What is your timeframe for moving?
While I agree that the inwall tank idea is neat and you shouldn't just walk away, if you are thinking of moving any time in the near future, practicality sets in in my mind.
The thing to consider is that unless someone who wants to keep up with a complex setup happens to come check out your house, a setup like this might actually hurt the value of your home. Of course, I've also heard of homes selling where the buyer is like "I'll take it, but I want the whole setup too" then you get the fun of doing it all over again...
It's all sort of a craps shoot.
I can tell you that nothing is better than being able to build the house for the tank to begin with. You can plan rooms, run pipes through walls to a filter room, install floor drains... whatver you want. I'm dreaming of my next house where I can do this.
Anyway, food for thought.

nw2salt08

It's going to be a long while. We've only been in this house for 1 1/2 years and are no where near paying it off. Will be paying double payments when husband is overseas.... But I have not given up. We will definitely have our inwall but it'll be easier to do by then...most of the kids will be grown and out of the house. We'll be able to have more room and time to prepare for it when we do move. And hopefully we'll have a basement then.

scsinet

You've got a crawl space, right?
If you are gonna be in that house for a while, then go for it. I can't imagine what would make reinforcing the house for the tank impossible. Arguable, a crawl space makes for easier reinforcement, easier than say, a finished basement.
You may try asking around some LFSs for advice on a contractor. I bet they may have some experience with people doing this, and may be able to point to a contractor.
My guess is the contractor you are talking to is afraid of liability becuase he isn't sure how to do it with a fish tank. When you talk to him though, you may want to see if she can build it so it can be easily "built back" if it comes to that when moving day comes along.

nw2salt08

Yeah, got a crawl space. I think I'll talk to the people at my LFS and see what they say. They put in aquariums all the time. I'll be ordering most of my stuff from them anyway so they'll come and help me put it in if I want the m to. We discussed this when I went in the other day to find out how much a tank and stand would cost. I might just take them up on the offer. Like I said, it's not over....
The only dilemma after putting the tank in would be where to move the tv....lol

hopping

if you are still wanting an in wall there let me know. my husband and i just finished gutting and rebuilding our 3rd house. an in wall is something we have allways wanted but it doesn't make sence with our house. though we have 3 on stands. this is a project i would like to take a look at. i know it can be done. don't give up.

nw2salt08

It's definitely something we want...dunno about building it in the wall described....I do have a main wall though that has the garage on the other side...
It's a much larger wall. If this isn't a feesable project at the time then it'll have to wait til we move to another house..
It's not giving up...just putting on hold if I can't do it here. I don't want to compromise the structural soundness of my house for a tank if you know what I mean. But I definitely want an inwall.

hopping

just pm me if you would like us to take a look at it eather wall. by the way you sais some of your lps guys were willing to help. what store were you refuring to. just curious. and how long do you think you will be living there(befor you get a new house)