DIY Refugium??

9supratt4

I am looking to make a refugium for my 55G and I was wondering if anyone had any instructions or plans on how to do so. I have an empty 15G tank sitting around collecting dust if that helps, but I will use any materials.
Thanks!!

b bauer

there is a bunch of dyi plans here!go to the search in the blue bar and type dyi refugium and you see hang on back or a sump and fuge or just a fuge then pick 1 that you think best suits your needs.you can also pick a few and see what other people have tried

9supratt4

Maybe this will help a little more:
I have a 55G DT with external overflow that goes down into, what i've been told is about a 12 gallon sump (bought it used..seller wasn't sure on the size), which goes directly back up to the DT. If I were to use the 15G I have sitting in my basement or a rubbermaid container of some sort, would I be able to make it so the DT, drains to the sump, then over to the fuge and then back up to the DT??
I have done so much reading and so many searches, but I still can't figure out how I should do this.
Here is what I have:

9supratt4

What if I were to split my line from the DT to the sump? Then put in a T and a ball valve to split some of the water to my 15G refugium and the rest to my sump, but how would I get the water from my refugium into my sump for it to be returned to the DT?

tarball

Just food for thought, but you should be using sand in the fuge area with live rubble rock on top. Skip the foam & bio-balls in the center section. I use a tube sponge around the standpipe in the overflow box to catch large particles.
It might be a better idea to have the overflow box towards the end of tank & return flow towards the middle of the tank.
Just some ideas to consider..

Good luck

9supratt4

Originally Posted by Tarball
Just food for thought, but you should be using sand in the fuge area with live rubble rock on top. Skip the foam & bio-balls in the center section. I use a tube sponge around the standpipe in the overflow box to catch large particles.
It might be a better idea to have the overflow box towards the end of tank & return flow towards the middle of the tank.
Just some ideas to consider..

Good luck
I've already thought about the fuge.....I was thinking taking sand from my DT since I have 80 lbs of it in there and adding some LR and cheato. I was thinking of having the fuge completely seperate from the sump as shown in the picture. I just can't figure out how to get the water from the fuge into the sump to be pumped back up to the DT. I also fixed the picture.....I have the overflow in one corner and the return in the other.

tarball

I see what you are trying to do.
Have you considered replacing the sump with filter & bio-balls with a good canister filter.
Take a look at my thread when I set up my 55 gallon. Pictures in thread should tell you enough. No need to read threw it all.
My set up works great, but if I did it again, I would make 2 adjustment. Take a look & let me know what you think
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/271154/my-55g-i-are-newbies

9supratt4

I'm not sure if I understand what you did. It looks like you have the canister runnning seperately from the sump?? Or are you not using the sump at all??

tarball

Originally Posted by 9supratt4
I'm not sure if I understand what you did. It looks like you have the canister runnning seperately from the sump?? Or are you not using the sump at all??
I run the sump/refugium separate from the canister filter.
440 gallons per hr thru sump & 360 gallons per hr thru canister filter. I like the option of 2 filtration systems. That way if a shut one off for any reason I still have flow & filtration applied to DT.
If you want to use 2 tanks like you suggested. It might be wiser to operate them independently from each other. Each using their own overflow & return pump.

tarball

I've already thought about the fuge.....I was thinking taking sand from my DT since I have 80 lbs of it in there and adding some LR and cheato. I was thinking of having the fuge completely seperate from the sump as shown in the picture. I just can't figure out how to get the water from the fuge into the sump to be pumped back up to the DT. I also fixed the picture.....I have the overflow in one corner and the return in the other.

This idea will most likely not work. Depending on flow of pump, it will draw flow from the pipe closest to pump. Leaving other tank to slowly empty because of siphon.

9supratt4

Tarball - I'm not sure if I understand why this won't work. If I have the one pipe from the overflow with a T on the end and a ball valve on each branch (the branch going to the sump andc the one to the fuge), so that I can adjust the flow accordingly. Then have a small diamater U-Tube siphoning the water from the fuge to the sump....won't that work as long as the fuge level is higher than the sump level?

bobtail107

Put a bulkhead in the fuge above the waterline in the sump. Then when the water gets to a desired location in the fuge it will flow through the bulhed then plub it down to the sump. That way it eliminates the U-tube.

9supratt4

So here is what I am thinking.......
Instead of a 10 gallon tank, I am going to use a clear rubbermaid container that fits under the stand. I am going to drill out a hole for a bulkhead on the side facing the sump. I am going to make sure that it is above the water level in the sump and have that bulkhead skim the top of the water and empty into the sump.
The only other thing I am concerned about is flodding. Right now I have the sump set up so that when I lose power the water level goes up but not enough to flood. Should I be concerned of flooding once the fuge is running too??

tarball

Whats going to stop the higher tank from emptying itself into the lower tank?
Also if you split the water from the overflow to each tank. The tank with the return pump will pull more volume from its over flow pipe. Which will empty the other tank eventually.
I think you should have one overflow pipe going to the 10 gallon tank, Then let the return pump pull the flow thru both tanks.
Just my thoughts, Do some tests...

9supratt4

Originally Posted by Tarball
Whats going to stop the higher tank from emptying itself into the lower tank?
Also if you split the water from the overflow to each tank. The tank with the return pump will pull more volume from its over flow pipe. Which will empty the other tank eventually.
I think you should have one overflow pipe going to the 10 gallon tank, Then let the return pump pull the flow thru both tanks.
Just my thoughts, Do some tests...

I'll keep that in mind!! I'll let you know how I make out!!

9supratt4

Ok....one last picture before I start the project.
I purchased everything and I am ready to go. The only thing I was thinking was also adding a ball valve on the pipe from the fuge to the sump to restrict flow a little more (not pictured).
Take a look and see if this makes sense.
Thanks!!!

9supratt4

Ok so my original idea is not going to work.....there is just not enough room under the tank in order to drill the rubbermaid above the water level in the sump.
So.....another idea i've had is to buy a small pump and use that to pump the water back into the tank. But i've been told that the water should sit in the refugium for awhile. What size pump should I use?
Or does anyone have any other ideas?????

tarball

Ok so my original idea is not going to work.....there is just not enough room under the tank in order to drill the rubbermaid above the water level in the sump.
So.....another idea i've had is to buy a small pump and use that to pump the water back into the tank. But i've been told that the water should sit in the refugium for awhile. What size pump should I use?
Or does anyone have any other ideas?????

So you are going to skip the rubbermaid tank & just use the 15 gallon glass tank?
Whats the gph of overflow. That should suggest the return pump flow.

2cold2fish

Elevate the sump higher than the fuge instead
take pump out of sump and put the bulk heads here on the outside wall. the will flow into the fuge
put the pump in the far compartment of the fuge
no new lines overflows or nothing. flow will very very close to current