DIY Skimmer build....help

pumper

Ok so I am going to build myself a new skimmer. I like diy, it gives me something to fill my time and I enjoy it. I plan to build something similar to the following but smaller: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28197
Is anyone familiar with the functionality of this skimmer? I understand how it works with the exception of one thing. How does it make bubbles? Does it use venturi injection? Or is the pump just recirculating water to create foam? I was planning on using a mag 5 pump to recirculate... Will this work the same?

pumper

Looks like I answered my own question through research. I'm going to post it for the sake of other DIY'rs. The pump in the plans is a Sedra 9000 needlewheel recirculating pump. Unlike the mag 5 I was going to use instead, the sedra needle wheel pumps are called "needle wheel" for a reason. The needle wheel is of special design as it creates a type of cavitation as it works. It also draws air in similar to a venturi design creating the bubbles it needs to fractionate the proteins from the water. I ordered the bulkheads today, going to the depot to get the water jug and currently selling unused pumps and what not on ---- to cover the cost of the pump. I will update with pictures of the build as I buy and customize the parts. This should be fun and a learning experience for all.

pumper

For those of you who are interested I am going to collect a bill of materials tonight.
1 Sedra 9000 needle wheel pump
1 powerhead of adequate power
1 5 gallon water jug
4 .50 double threaded bulkhead fittings 2 for recirculating pump, 1 for powerhead water input, and 1 for the water output.
3 male threaded pvc elbow
1 stick .50 sched 40 pvc
1 .50 pvc quick connects
2 .50 male threaded to glue
various .50 threaded pvc
1 .50 gate valve
1 .50 male threaded to 5/8 hose connection
I plan to add later my ideas for the collection cup as I do not like the way it is built in the aforementioned article. Also, please excuse my jargon used for pvc fittings as I am not a plumber. Any that wants to post corrections is more than welcomed.

calmplex2g

Please post whatever u make or find on this subject,im thinking of doing this but with a smaller jug,5 gallon is too big 4 my 30 gallon sump,i was thinking of using 2.5 gallon or even a 2 litter[soda bottle] is the skimmer getting the water pumped into it/and that powerhead with 2 hoses on it,is it recirculating or are they both outpusts,thanks in advance

pumper

There is one small powerhead/pump to feed water to the unit. The pump mounted on the side of the jug is a sedra pump designed specifically to create bubbles for a skimmer and yes it does recirculate. If you are going to build one out of a soda bottle I could just sell/trade you my seaclone 100 at a discount price when I get this build done. The seaclone is bashed online but this one pulls a ton of skimate with an airstone ran in to the unit. Pm me if interested.

pumper

There is one small powerhead/pump to feed water to the unit. The pump mounted on the side of the jug is a sedra pump designed specifically to create bubbles for a skimmer and yes it does recirculate. The output is controlled by a gate valve and gravity is used for flow. My sump is also too small for the one I have listed but I plan to build it out of 8'' pvc.

pumper

Some of my parts came in today. I have had some time to think on the skimmer design and what would be most beneficial to my system which is about 125 gallons all together. I am no longer going to build a skimmer out of a water battle as aforementioned. I plan to build a skimmer similar to an aqua c-ev180. The only difference my skimmer will have is the foaming action will be created by a sedra 5000 needle wheel pump (in a recirculating configuration) rather than than spray injection like the aqua c ev series. The reaction chamber will be built from acrylic and bonded with ips weld-on #3. The riser tube will be a 12''x6'' round acrylic tube purchased from sleaze bay. I will deconstruct my seaclone 100 and harvest the acrylic tube inside to make the collection cup riser tube. The remainder of the seaclone will be put aside for another project which I think everyone will like. If anyone has any input on the design and construction of my skimmer, please, feel free to post.

pumper

My Sedra 5000 needle wheel pump came today. I'm excited to start the build... I'm waiting on 2 1'' bulkheads I ordered and a 1.75'' holesaw. I have to go to the depot and Get a sheet of .25 acrylic and I can begin putting it together.

wattsupdoc

I would use something larger than the inner tubing from the seaclone for the neck. You would want something around 4+ inches. Especially if your going to mesh mod this. I cant remember if the seaclones outter tubing is 4" or not.
How do you plan on making the transition from reaction chamber the neck? How do you plan on making the collection cup? How will it be removed for dumping/cleaning?

pumper

The transition from the tube to collection cup will be cut from acrylic (2 pcs). One piece will be joined to the tube and the other will be bolted using nylon bolts and nuts with a gasket. It will be similar to: http://www.reefmania.net/ps8.php I will most likely end up using the outer tubing of the seaclone skimmer for a neck.... I have been looking at other diy skimmers and they use a quart or gallon rubbermaid storage container for collection cup. I will be going to wally world to check out what might work best.... Any ideas on a collection cup? I was thinking: http://www.reefworkshop.com/images/rubbermaid_jars.jpg I'll probably use a 1 quart model.

pumper

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2775993
I would use something larger than the inner tubing from the seaclone for the neck. You would want something around 4+ inches. Especially if your going to mesh mod this. I cant remember if the seaclones outter tubing is 4" or not.
How do you plan on making the transition from reaction chamber the neck? How do you plan on making the collection cup? How will it be removed for dumping/cleaning?
Please elaborate on "mesh mod."

pumper

Here is the top of the skimmer tube where I will connect the riser tube. I put a flange on the tube and made a top for it. It will be drilled, tapped, and fastened with nylon bolts and washers. The cap will be drilled for the riser tube later.

wattsupdoc

The mesh mod is probably the biggest improvement to skimmers today. Using a piece of Enkamat PF4 to attach layers of it to the impeller. This allows for more air to be drawn in(which is a great improvement), as well as further chopping of these bubbles to very small sizes. This increases the surface area greatly. So much smaller bubbles, and much more of them in the column, this results in greater skimmer efficiency. As the flow of water is slowed also through it. While your skimmer may work as well as any of those out there similar to it, the design could be much better. The Flat surface between the neck and the reaction chamber is not the most effective design. A Tapered connection is preferred. This allows the bubbles more contact time, less premature merging and bubble rupture. Thereby resulting in more DOC's removed.

pumper

Here is what I have so far. The input bulkhead and feed pump are installed as well as the output. Also the top where the neck will connect has been tapped, drilled, and nylon screws and washers installed.

keebler

How are you going to test it out? A lot of people set up a tank and put skimmate from another source in it and see how fast it is extracted.

pumper

Originally Posted by Keebler
http:///forum/post/2777468
How are you going to test it out? A lot of people set up a tank and put skimmate from another source in it and see how fast it is extracted.
I have a trashcan full of polluted water from where I cured 80lbs of live rock... I will use it.

wattsupdoc

Why inject the air so close to the neck? I don't believe that is a good location. There will be a lot of turbulence. Also, I thought you were using the sedra 5000? It looks like you have an aquaclear connected to it?

pumper

This skimmer is of recirculating design. The aqua clear is the water feed. The other bulkhead you see is the water return which is not completely plumbed in yet. Their are two more bulkheads to be installed to hold the sedra 5000. But those are good questions you have pointed out. I should have it plumbed up thursday afternoon and you will see what I'm talking about. By friday evening we should be in sea trials.

pumper

Here is the skimmer with the sedra 5000 attached partially. I had the change where the pump attaches due to a constraint concerning dimensions within my sump. The outtake is now the input from the sedra. I will now have to drill two more holes. One for the volume output and one for the intake of the sedra. See picture.