DIY Skimmer build....help

keebler

The riser tube looks pretty long to me, but I can't say for sure because I don't know how well that pump will perform. Other than that, it looks pretty cool. We won't know until you try it out.

pumper

I couldn't wait on the goop to dry so I took the neck and collection cup off and sat it to the side. I put the remainder of the skimmer in a tub with polluted water from a previous change and dumped a cup of skimmate in as well. He is what it did..... I can't wait for the collection cup and neck to cure!!!!!

reefkprz

I would be hesitant to use metal strap clamps (unless they were titanium) just for long term corrosion problems.
cool build though I cant wait to see it in action.
*S* you posted a picture of it running while I was typing. looks like it cranks out the foam.

pumper

I went ahead and put the collection cup on and dumped in 3 days worth of skimmate from my sea clone 100... It pulled it all out in less than 6 minutes.... I got excited and forget to take a picture.... Its in my sump now.... I'll post a pic after it pulls some nice gunk out...

pumper

Originally Posted by Keebler
http:///forum/post/2778616
The riser tube looks pretty long to me, but I can't say for sure because I don't know how well that pump will perform. Other than that, it looks pretty cool. We won't know until you try it out.
Although the skimmer done well with the riser tube like it was, I took another 2.5'' off the inside with my dremel earlier. I think it will work better shorter like you mentioned. As of now the riser tube has been removed and sat aside to allow the marine goop to dry. Thanks for bringing the riser tube to my attention.

pumper

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2778631
I would be hesitant to use metal strap clamps (unless they were titanium) just for long term corrosion problems.
cool build though I cant wait to see it in action.
*S* you posted a picture of it running while I was typing. looks like it cranks out the foam.
Yes, from what I have heard the sedra 5000 is no joke. I was expecting it to be a bit smaller when I got it.... It's huge and pumps massive amounts. The dimensions of the reaction chamber and the entire build is similar to the asm g4 skimmer.... A 400.00+ skimmer rated for 350 gallons.... I don't think I will ever need another skimmer. The next tank I buy will be no more than 180 gallons....I removed the stainless collar.... The rubber gasket holds it all together just fine and it allows for easy removal of the collection cup.

pumper

I will itemize the cost.
Sedra 5000 needle wheel 113.00
Aqua clear 50 powerhead 0.00 (had lying around)
Acrylic tube 20.00
Misc pvc/fittings 15.00
3.25'' plumbing collar 5.00
Collection cup 7.00
Misc acrylic sheet 0.00 (lying around from previous builds)
nylon screws/washers 7.00
.50'' double thread bulkheads 20.00
gate valve 0.00 (had lying around)
riser tube 0.00 (harvested from useless sea clone skimmer)
Total 187.00
I think a total of 187.00 is a good price considering the model I used as a blueprint is over 400.00....
Oh, and thanks Coral keeper for the daps.

grubsnaek

i wanna build one bad as hell. santas coming. hahaha. l luv DIYers, and my tank would benefit greatly from this. and say $225.00 out of pocket i can get a skimmer to work that good for my tank...whhhaaaaatttt. thats sick.
only down fall here is, not actually seeing the build. im better with visually seeing the build, then i can replicate it better. guess im to shot out to visualize it.
i wanna make one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pumper

Originally Posted by grubsnaek
http:///forum/post/2781283
i wanna build one bad as hell. santas coming. hahaha. l luv DIYers, and my tank would benefit greatly from this. and say $225.00 out of pocket i can get a skimmer to work that good for my tank...whhhaaaaatttt. thats sick.
only down fall here is, not actually seeing the build. im better with visually seeing the build, then i can replicate it better. guess im to shot out to visualize it.
i wanna make one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude, it's easy. The only thing is having the right tools.... Router, drill, bits, glues, dremel, small hand tools.... My build is really basic, just remember this: You need a source of bubbles, a reaction chamber, and a riser tube and collection cup. My build would be much simpler if I would have done a non-recirculating design. Remember this one key thing- sedra needle wheel pumps..... They are awesome and worth the money.... If you need help building I can help you out... And have patience with acrylic because it's not very forgiving.... I think I may have overkilled my skimmer design because my system is around 100 gal and the asm model I replicated it from will handle 350 gal...O well, I guess your water can never be to clean right?

grubsnaek

im off 2marrow so ill sit and reread this thread, and think bout it. i know its a little overrated but i wudnt mind something rated at a 250-300g on my 125DT. right? i just dont think i can make it as tall as you did...

grubsnaek

any chance of you posting the dimensions of this thing. the final foot print. from the pic of it all done and on the table. looks pritty tall....

grubsnaek

mite have to be shorter partner, im gonna take some measurements in a bit...Scat Pump.....
im currently running a ETSS reef devil skimmer. i think it stands say 21-23" tall. so i would have to shorten it. but for the price, i want to make one, and use my ETSS on a smaller system....

pumper

Originally Posted by grubsnaek
http:///forum/post/2782181
mite have to be shorter partner, im gonna take some measurements in a bit...Scat Pump.....
im currently running a ETSS reef devil skimmer. i think it stands say 21-23" tall. so i would have to shorten it. but for the price, i want to make one, and use my ETSS on a smaller system....
If you were to make the reaction chamber and neck shorter you could probably go with the sedra 3500.... There are many different sizes of acrylic tube on sleaze bay... I used a 12x6.5'' piece for my reaction chamber and a 3.25'' piece for the neck.