DLP v. LCD - another TV discussion

reefraff

Here are some links for ya
http://www.dlptvreview.com/
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/
I did a ton of research before buying my first Bigscreen and the home theater spot was really helpful. I got the Mits cause you can axcess the service more with the remote and do some serious tweaking. My TV's advanced convergence screen grid was a bit distorted towards the bottom and I found the info to fix it my self through service modes on the theater spot. I think the area showing the cool tweaks is for paid members only now but they have some guys on there that are licensed adjusters or whatever you call them so there is some good info.
From what I could dig up researching DLP Toshiba, Panasonic and Samsung were the major players. Mitsubishi hadn't come out with their set yet. Panasonic seems to be a real bargin, I saw the 50" with stand for under 2500 bucks on sale here in Missoula where everything is more expensive. Samsung, well you could put their TV on the set for Star Trek and it would look like it belonged there and the Toshiba just has a nice looking pic. I also like it's lamp shutdown feature. It keeps the TV in standby mode for a few minutes after you turn it off so if you accidentally hit the power button the lamp doesn't have to go through another cool down and warm up cycle. You can also select high power or low power for the lamp (even based on which input you are using) which will make the lamp last longer if you use the low power setting. The main reason I picked Toshiba was the review of the antiglare screen. This thing puts the Mitsubishi WS80755 I had to shame and the Mits was a pretty dam good set.

C

crm13

OH, I hate those anti-glare screens. I just take those things right off. Unless, of course, you have kids that tend to go crazy with crayons, or ink, or anything else they tend to get creative with, you definitely want to leave it on.

reefraff

My Mits had the "anti glare" screen in front of the real screen and that was miserable and most people recomended taking them off. I never did it but I could see the benefit. The Toshiba doesn't have the same thing at all. It just doesn't bounce light off it's screen, no second screen involved. Take a high powered flashlight with you when you look at TV's. It's a cinch the stores wont have any lights shinning anywhere near the projection TV's.