Do I have too much lighting?

I recently acquired a 90 gal bowfront and it came with some great lighting i thought, but it may be too much. I has 4 HO T5 PC flourescents that are 55W each = 220W HO T5 about 12in" above the tank as well as a small MH. I noticed that my SPS are doing great as well as my zoos and mushrooms but i lost my torch coral and it seems as though my frogspawn is dying as well. All my water parameters are perfect as I know these questions will be asked but i'm thinking its more of a lighting issue, because my gsp are barely opening up as well.
Any suggestions.
Thanks
Big T

bang guy

How long have you had the LPS? What have you been feeding them? What are your water parameters?
I don't believe it's too much light.

1guydude

+1 not to much light... maybe more or less flow is needed.
plz post water parameters sg, temp, trates, trites, anmonia, and Ph....cal, mag, and alk help too.

sg is 1.028
temp = 77
trates=0.0
trites=0.0
amonia=0.0
phos =0.0
cal = 400ppm
i don't have a test kit for mag & alk but i can't imagine they are out of wack. well it looked like it turned into a brown mess and then when i woke up this morning the brown mess was gone as well as the torch itself and im just left with the white skeleton. whatever it is seems to be affecting my frogspawn. its turning really light in color and the tenticles are long and stringy instead of short and fat....maybe not enough lighting? should i place it higher in the tank?

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmaster78 http:///t/390902/do-i-have-too-much-lighting#post_3463962
sg is 1.028
temp = 77
trates=0.0
trites=0.0
amonia=0.0
phos =0.0
cal = 400ppm
i don't have a test kit for mag & alk but i can't imagine they are out of wack. well it looked like it turned into a brown mess and then when i woke up this morning the brown mess was gone as well as the torch itself and im just left with the white skeleton. whatever it is seems to be affecting my frogspawn. its turning really light in color and the tenticles are long and stringy instead of short and fat....maybe not enough lighting? should i place it higher in the tank?
Like I said in my previous post, LOOK UP BROWN JELLY DISEASE. It can spread to other corals.

yeah i've been looking it up. the only thing i can think of is that maybe my frogspawn stung it during the transition from my 45 hex to the 90 gal bowfront. i'll keep researching. thanks the heads up as i have not heard of brown jelly disease before.

bang guy

Usually Frogspawn and Torch can live peacefully side by side. Brown Jelly is tough to beat. Did the corals get physically injured?

yes the torch got stung pretty bad and three of the heads died. this was the last head and it finally just gave up i guess. the frogspawn fell into my large bubble coral and has recovered for the most part but since i added it to the new tank he seems to be not doing so well. then today while trying to glue it to some live rock it broke in half.

red tiger

yes the torch got stung pretty bad and three of the heads died.  this was the last head and it finally just gave up i guess.  the frogspawn fell into my large bubble coral and has recovered for the most part but since i added it to the new tank he seems to be not doing so well.  then today while trying to glue it to some live rock it broke in half.
Injured corals don't do very well in new systems, only hurts it. When I lost my torch/frogspawn to brown jelly, I panicked and put them in a bare 20 gal with proper parameters, but within 2 days they started to melt.

Yeah im not sure brown jelly is the case here, but who knows. everything else that i transferred over to the tank is doing great. it seems as though my frogspawn is doing much better. we'll see in the coming days.

1guydude

Wat is this brown jelly? Ive had corals melt and it looks brownish but im sure thats just the tissue melted or melting... imo ur salt at 1.028 was to high and it should be at 1.024-1.026 at the most.

bang guy

1.028 is great for most corals depending on the temperature.
Brown Jelly Disease is a bacterial infection. Think of it as gangrene for corals.