Do i REALLY need a skimmer? Please explain why

lazarus

My tank is FOWLR and a few mushrooms. Its 110gal with a fuge of about 15-20 g. My livestock is very healthy. I've lost one fish (a new one that just did not make the food), in about 2 years. I do water changes (15-20%) every other week. I use RO water. I dont have much of an algae problem and need to clean the glass about once a week. Its taken a long time to get this stable!
The skimmer cup never seems to collect anything. If I turn up the volume to force a trickle into the cup, inevitably, it overflows with clear water. I cannot seem to find the balance which "skims" what it should.
That skimmer is loud and I would love to just turn it off. In the past year I think its worked only a couple times, collecting very small amounts of yuk stuff.
Please tell me why I should continue to operate it. Maybe I am lucky and just need to be told.

bang guy

A skimmer is like a first aid kit. You usually don't need it and when you do it may still not be adequate. But sometimes it's the difference between a total tank crash and just having some irritated corals. At minimum it's providing some excellent gas exchange.
If your skimmer isn't collecting anything then maybe it's just not a good skimmer.