Do I really need a skimmer?

timo

It is not neccessary to have a skimmer on a saltwater tank.
To compensate for the buildup of proteins and maintain a healthy tank one should simply change the water.
Now, for increased water clarity, reduced nutrients, and well airated water, use a skimmer.
TimO

saltwater8

Originally Posted by TimO
It is not neccessary to have a skimmer on a saltwater tank.
To compensate for the buildup of proteins and maintain a healthy tank one should simply change the water.
No offense, but your opinion is in the extreme minority...
:happyfish

anthony17

ok i have a skimmer but dont know if something is wrong i dump it every week but its a straight brown liquid... isnt it supposed to be like mud???? its all bubbles coming up the tube but when i empty the cup its nothing but liquid poop

v-lioness

It is not neccessary to have a skimmer on a saltwater tank. To compensate for the buildup of proteins and maintain a healthy tank one should simply change the water.
I agree
Now, for increased water clarity, reduced nutrients, and well airated water, use a skimmer.
To help with Clarity - Use Carbon...... reduced nutrients - Export = Water Change......
IMO - One can run skimmer-less, keep a low Bio-Load, do your water changes & run carbon, if your tank has LR & LS than you have diversity. Do not under estimate the diversity in your tank, such as the food chains. It depends on the person & their experience, the stock they plan to keep and the time they can spend on their tank.
Can you run a tank with a Skimmer? Yes
Can you run a tank without one? Yes
Kaye

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by ANTHONY17
ok i have a skimmer but dont know if something is wrong i dump it every week but its a straight brown liquid... isnt it supposed to be like mud???? its all bubbles coming up the tube but when i empty the cup its nothing but liquid poop
You just need to make adjustments with your skimmer for different skimate. I personally like the liquid stuff, easier to clean.... :happyfish

timo

I just get tired of all the kids on this board that hear something and then profess it to others like they've actually learned something.
I also tire of the "you need this" and "go buy that" responses.
Kaye's response is well stated. The hobbiests choices, level of forethought, and other things can make a great difference on the success of one's tank.
Can tanks with skimmers fail? Most certainly.
There is no one road to success, nor is there a list of certain products that will ensure a trouble-free tank.
And Saltwater8, I'd hate for you to ever be a member of a jury. Minority opinions are the mainstay of this land.
I personally recommend aquariests to form their own opinions based on experience and method, rather than letting others do it for them, and please, if you don't have experience beyond reading the beginners forum, keep it to yourself.
TimO

celacanthr

Originally Posted by scu ba
I had my aquarium running a few years ago with a lion, snowflake, niger trigger, and wolf eel. We lived in the mountains and had a bad winter one year and the power went out when we were not home and there goes all our fish to fish heaven. Now i am set it back up and was wondering if i need a skimmer, which i never used one before. Im looking to get the same fish and also a Har. tusk fish and a proc. puffer. I bought one before and also some type of wrasse (i cant remember which kind) and they both didnt make it, which i always had the water tested and keep it up. Do you think a skimmer would solve the problem in the future? Thanks
No, skimmer's aren't at all necessary, but I would reccomend one in that tank.

celacanthr

I run a tank without a skimmer, and have had tons of success.
My succes though isn't in the traditional sense. My tank isn't very nice looking, but I have made some interesting accomplishments, such as:
-Bubble snails laying eggs, and several of the larvae surviving to adult hood
-Nassarius snails reproducing (not very impressive), and some of the larvae survivng into adulthood (much more uncommon)
-Medusa cucumbers reproducing, and the offspring surviving
-Mussels' reproducing and colonising the live rock (not that uncommon)
I am not sure wether or not my skimmer has to do with my success though.

saltwater8

Originally Posted by TimO
I just get tired of all the kids on this board that hear something and then profess it to others like they've actually learned something.
No need to throw insults and stoop to calling people who are ONLY here to try and help each other "kids..." If it bothers you so much - then don't bother to honor us with your presence...
I also tire of the "you need this" and "go buy that" responses.
I, for one, wish I had this forum when I started to have people tell me what I needed. Again, if it bothers you so much, don't bother to read the posts, much less respond.
I personally recommend aquariests to form their own opinions based on experience and method, rather than letting others do it for them, and please, if you don't have experience beyond reading the beginners forum, keep it to yourself.
TimO
Maybe you should read the heading of this forum entitled New Hobbyist

Like a very intelligent person once said, "If you don't have anything positive to add to the conversation, keep it to yourself."

celacanthr

Originally Posted by Saltwater8
No need to throw insults and stoop to calling people who are ONLY here to try and help each other "kids..." If it bothers you so much - then don't bother to honor us with your presence...
I, for one, wish I had this forum when I started to have people tell me what I needed. Again, if it bothers you so much, don't bother to read the posts, much less respond.
Maybe you should read the heading of this forum entitled New Hobbyist

Like a very intelligent person once said, "If you don't have anything positive to add to the conversation, keep it to yourself."

I don't think he was attacking you specifically. I think he was merely angered with the way many of us hobbyist's think that there is only one way to do something. The same way people that have had extreme success with CC are annoyed with hobbyists automatically saying that it is a nitrate factory, tank killer, etc. Or the same way that marine planted tank keepers are frustrated with the criticism that they recieve for dosing nitrate, and phosphate.

timo

"Like a very intelligent person once said, "If you don't have anything positive to add to the conversation, keep it to yourself.""
When I read that, I reflect on your first post to me...
"No offense, but your opinion is in the extreme minority..."
Think about that.
And yes, this is the new hobbiests forum, which is why I say to keep it to yourself if you're simply resounding other's opinions, not having the experience to see if they're true.
Again, think about that.
Sometimes it looks like a race to post. In this thread alone there are people with hundreds upon hundreds of posts, which I haven't taken the time to read, but if I did, I'd most likely see less substance in them than a cup of tap water.
TimO

timo

And yes, CELACANTHr , that is generally how I see it.
These "truths" are like rumor become true. And, to quote an intellegent person, Winston Churchill, a lie repeated enough times becomes truth. Not saying these hints given here are lies, but hopefully you get the drift.
To quote another, Zoroaster, Where one does not know one must be silent.
Lets start at the beginning. For those that suggest every successful tank is skimmed, have they the personal experience to know that? I postulate that no, they don't. They have simply read that here, but alas, it can be done. I do speak from experience. I ask you, saltwater8, do you?
TimO

timo

Originally Posted by Saltwater8
And don't martyr yourself. It's unbecoming.

S

sinner's girl

MO - One can run skimmer-less, keep a low Bio-Load, do your water changes & run carbon, if your tank has LR & LS than you have diversity. Do not under estimate the diversity in your tank, such as the food chains. It depends on the person & their experience, the stock they plan to keep and the time they can spend on their tank.
Ditto. Only I don't even have ls, and not sure what running carbon means. I think the filter has carbon, but that gets replaced like once a year....not sure if the filter on the 75gl has carbon or not.
water changes, good water movement, and low-bio load for me. And not so much on the water changes in the past...I'm better now, but I have more time (working fulltime and going to school fulltime left very little time for the tank, which is why I didn't add any fish. But I didn't lose my fish to high nitrates, a skimmer would not have prevented thier deaths (killer temp swings). Even with cc, nitrates are about 20 (currently closer to 40, but that's my doing, not because I'm not running a skimmer, though who knows, maybe a skimmer would have helped).
6 years or so, when I first came here, not everyone had skimmers, if you had a reef or a large tank yes, but now, it seem people say everyone must have a skimmer.
I bet if you put a skimmer on it, you would think differently...
Saltwater8, I would think differently about what? A low bio-load? Nope, the most I had were three fish, the most I plan on for my 75 is 3 maybe 4, not sure yet. Few fish and lots of inverts is what I like.

saltwater8

Well, obviously the only things you really NEED are salt and water... I guess when someone says "need" it is more - what would make my inhabitants happier.....
I have seen the disgusting, smelly brown liquid that my and every other protein skimmer I have seen pulls out of the saltwater and can't imagine not using one.
I don't overfeed and do 10% water changes a week.
Obviously it is only my opinion, but I would say I "need" a protein skimmer and would recommend one to anyone else in the hobby.
No need to start calling others who post to help "kids" or any other name however, just because you don't agree or like what they have to say.
Again, we are all here giving our opinions, no matter what they are based on.

S

sinner's girl

I didn't call anyone names...and I've never said a skimmer couldn't help or they didn't work, just that a tank could be ran without it. I also stated that I kept a light bio load, if I had a heavy one, I would worry about better filtration....

wattsupdoc

It seems as though this thread has gone all ascew..I hope the question has been answered. It seems to me as though it has. TimO and sinners girl. your experience and intelligence is a great benefit to this site. there are many of us newbees who much appreciate your taking the time to pass down their knowledge so that we behind you may stumble and fall a little less. Plus in this hobby are pocketbooks will be much happier because of you. I have alredy been given a wealth of knowledge by those of you who truly love this hobby and the creatures we keep. And I have only scratched the surface. It seems as though there are those on here that cannot accept this advise because the blinders that they wear. My hats off and thank you all.

fishguy83

hopefully i'm not opening up a can of worms...
BUT -
Just wanted to further this conversation - I've heard from different people if you have a good sand bed, etc... etc.. the skimmer isn't a necessity, but like said, will still help clean out the tank - However, do you need a deep sand bed w/o skimmer? Or just in general... what is a good sandbed depth? I just wanted to know, because my LFS gave me enough for only about 1" of coverage, said didn't want to go under 1", but not too much over, and if you went deep, go about 4-5" -- Since I'm thinking of starting out skimmerless, until I make up my own mind - will that be OK? Or do I need to pull my tank apart some, and add more sand???
Just thought maybe we could talk about how the sand bed affects the tank (quality, nitrates, etc...) and what is required for a sand bed (depth, livestock, etc..) and if depending on how deep your sand bed is, will this affect whether a skimmer would be greatly beneficial or not?