Do I really need a skimmer?

mikeyjer

I agree with what was said. Skimmer doesn't need to be run to keep a successful tank. I've seen successful tanks without one. But I also have seen what a skimmer can do for sw tank. I'm speaking from experience with my own tank from not running a skimmer to running a skimmer, what a huge difference it makes. Like I've mentioned before, I will not run a sw tank without a skimmer IMO!!! Each person have a individual opinion, what may work for you, may not work for another. Take everything said with a grain of salt, if you like it, do it! If not, just let it go. I think it is up to the original poster to use it or not, we can not tell him to run it if he doesn't want to, we just give our opinions and let him make the decision. :happyfish

uberlink

A question for those not running skimmmers: Why not run a skimmer?
I think most of us would agree that they are at a minimum harmless, and in all likelihood at least somewhat helpful. This is a hobby with high failure rates. Why not throw on a relatively inexpensive piece of equipment if it is (a) harmless, and (b) likely somewhat helpful?
A reasonably good skimmer can be purchased for anywhere from $75 on up. I run a Remora, which is more like $170. Of course, most of us spend far more than that on live rock, lighting, and any number of other things necessary to keep our critters happy. Why not make this small investment, even if only for some additional insurance?
My two cents...

k-rok

I have a 75gal setup with 50lbs of live rock, 9 fish, and many inverts. I do 1/3 water change every 3 weeks - month. I have never used a skimmer. I don't even know how they work, just that they are supposed to make the water cleaner. I am running lots of filtration though. I have 2 filters hanging on the back. One has carbon filters and the heater along with the black spongy looking filter, and the other has the two bio-wheels and filters. The water normally looks crystal clear, although the sand gets brownish looking after a few weeks. Should I look into purchasing a skimmer?

drea

u def need a skimmer sonner or later, but depending whats in your tank, it may be ok.. as long as you do a weekly 10% water change... i have a tank w/ a skimmer and one w/o, they both do great but skimmer is def reccomended

v-lioness

A question for those not running skimmmers: Why not run a skimmer?
A skimmer can be a great safety net & water purifying device, Skimmers remove nutrients efficiently therefore can limit the amount of life in our tanks because they remove these nutrients that some life depends on.
In a skimmerless system everything can play an important role, Bacteria can take up nutrients, than they are consumed by deposit feeders in-turn consumed by benthic or pelagic carnivores and it goes on from there with sponges, single celled algae, micro-grazers.......
Many people run a skimmer and really have no clue Why, they were just told to run one, But there are many types of system that are skimmerless & successful.......
I choose to run skimmerless because I have an understanding of my system, I am patient, I do not go to my Lfs and buy a fish because I like it, I feed my system 2-3 times per day, I have been skimmerless for years and Sinner's Girl I am with you and run BB.
Kaye

timo

I currently have a Kent skimmer for my 60 gallon cube. Total excess. Skims like mad. The tank is SPS with a few fish. It also is bare-bottom, meaning no sand.
I'm not against skimmers, but the question was does one need one.
Now who was it that asked about the benefits of a sand bed... :scared:
Thanks everybody!
TimO

timo

Originally Posted by V-Lioness
A skimmer can be...
Kaye
And don't forget the aeration going on. Remember from chem 202, as water temp goes up, it's ability to hold oxygen diminishes. As summer comes along, I know I think about that. And saltwater's density makes the familar air-stone we used in our freshie tanks turn the reef into a blizzardy mess.
TimO

v-lioness

Now who was it that asked about the benefits of a sand bed...
***) ...... LOL
And don't forget the aeration going on
Very good point, For me since I have large fish in my tank, I must use an aerator since I am skimmerless, it is in my sump, but they can make a mess of things. When my fish were young this was not an issue but I woke up one morning with my largest fish gasping at the surface, I added an air pump (I had it laying around) almost instantly the fish moved towards the bubbles and stopped gasping for air. I have not gone without one since that day, and I have not lost fish due to this.
Now my 90g with smaller fish does not seem to have this issue with aeration, yet both tanks have sumps.
Kaye

fishguy83

Originally Posted by TimO
Now who was it that asked about the benefits of a sand bed... :scared:
Thanks everybody!
TimO

what I meant was - the sand bed acts as filtration, and houses denitrifying bacteria, and i'm sure in an established tank, has a good cleaning crew (that probably can't be seen) in the sand? - so is that enough to do the work for a skimmer (similar functions or not?)
after all, I am a newbie, was just throwing it out there... sorry i asked.

timo

The pros + cons of a sandbed of a vareity of depths vs. no substrate has been discussed ad infinitum and typically hinges on a one trial study with no control tank of a person's own tank. Needless to say this is subjective at best.
Do a search.
I say whatever works.

timo

wattsupdoc said:
It seems as though this thread has gone all ascew..
Plus in this hobby are pocketbooks will be much happier .
It seems as though there are those on here that cannot accept this advise because the blinders that they wear. QUOTE]
I sure hope it hasn't gone askew... Rember, like all those that said they didn't use a skimmer... they had particular tanks and understood it's limitations. A good unskimmed tank cantidate could have thriving zoo's and mushrooms, two of many coral types that come from lagoonal reef areas that don't get the rushing current the outter reef zone gets, each zone representing a very different micro-cosm environment. I suggest learning about the natural habitat of things before trying to recreate the paradise they will thrive in.
Mistakes will be made, and we regret and learn from them.
Without that intrinsic understanding of your own particular box of glass's limited (but wonderful) ability to sustain a particular type and/or amount of life, I'll be looking forward to your threads of woe describing your tanks imminent doom. (I.E. Just be smart)
Trust me, I'm not a rich man. I tend to be pragmatic.
And to respond to the last clip, someone has to chime in and wake up the yes men of this board. Especially this forum. Too many indians not enough chiefs.
I even feel some learning from the new hobbiests forum may have occoured from this discussion. LOL
Thanks, reefers!
TimO

timo

Originally Posted by V-Lioness
***) ...... LOL
Very good point, For me since I have large fish in my tank, I must use an aerator since I am skimmerless, it is in my sump, but they can make a mess of things.
Kaye
May I suggest you route your drain tube(s) into a filter sock http://www.gettankedaquariums.com/Sa...arge%20pic.htm (long addy!) along with the stone... It'll harness your rogue bubbles.
HTH
TimO

saltwater8

Originally Posted by fishguy83
after all, I am a newbie, was just throwing it out there... sorry i asked.
Na, don't be sorry for asking, most of us here are good people who come here to ask questions and to help each other.
There are however, as you found out, a very few pompous people who feel the need to spout their negative comments - but they are the "extreme
minority"

Have fun, ask all the questions you want, we all do!
:happyfish

v-lioness

May I suggest you route your drain tube(s) into a filter sock
Good Idea, I will try that tonight...... I always have extras laying around, I use them for my carbon... Thanks
Kaye

zman1

Originally Posted by TimO
The pros + cons of a sandbed of a vareity of depths vs. no substrate has been discussed ad infinitum and typically hinges on a one trial study with no control tank of a person's own tank. Needless to say this is subjective at best.
Do a search.
I say whatever works.
As the old saying goes "Opinions are like rear ends, everyone has one, some are just bigger than others"
Google = An Experimental Comparison of Sandbed and Plenum-Based Systems
For a nice 2 part article... Change the 6 to a 7 in the URL for part 2
They do make only one note on bare bottom but as you indicated this comment was not in a controlled lab environment on a BB. Works great for you but your 60 SPS tank with a few fish may not be the norm or average either. However, thought I'd tweak you... Chief
I picked one of the overall summary bullet points from the part 2 page.
Overall death rates were roughly twice as high in aquaria with shallow sediments as in deep sediment treatments. The highest overall death rates were seen in aquaria with shallow coarse sediments over a plenum, and the lowest death rates occurred in aquaria with a sandbed composed of deep coarse sediments. The treatments that were closest to the design aquarists employ for deep sandbed, Miracle Mud and Jaubert plenum aquaria had intermediate death rates. The shallow coarse sediment design that is closest to that used in Berlin systems had one of the highest death rates, and the deep coarse sediment design for which there is currently no accepted name had the lowest overall mortality (Fig. 10). We did not test bare bottom tanks, but the data clearly suggest that the shallower the sediment, the higher the mortality rate, and you can't get much shallower than a bare bottom tank!