Do RO/DI units cause leaks?

dmitry

I'm wondering if anybody who lives in apartment building and uses an RO unit to clean their water has had problems with leaks. Not with the RO unit itself, but rather with the building plumbing? I finally set mine up today and let it run for 12 hours while I was at work. When I came home a small puddle formed under the sink - I see water dripping slowly from one of the pipes. Just curious if anyone else has run into these problems? Clearly because the water is turned on all the way and the RO unit filters it very slowly the back-up is causing the high pressure. I can deal with a small leak, but I fear real damage down the road if the pipes just burst and flood the whole building! :scared:

mwaraxa

Well as far as back up pressure goes. . . There would be more pressure there without the RO unit and the faucet just being plain old off. Your not going to get more pressure on those pipes than if you didn't even have the RO unit. The water is max pressure on those pipes untill you turn the faucet on and relieve some of the pressure. So really, if you think about it, when you turn on the RO your acutally releasing some of the pressure that would normally be there. So my guess would be that the dripping is coming from some joints that you messed around with installing the RO unit.

dmitry

The dripping is happening under the sink - which I did not touch at all. I only looked under once I noticed a puddle. Someone suggested it's condensation on the feeding pipe. All the joints on the RO unit and the connection to the fawcet are dry.

acrylic51

Doubt very seriously you cause the building plumbing under the sink to leak. As mentioned earlier it's no different if you would have left the faucet off..... Sometimes pipes will just leak.. Have you actually located the source of the leak????

bang guy

It's condensation IMO. If you run cold water through a plastic tube in a humid environment water will condense on the tubing, run downhill along the tubing, and drip off the low part of the tube.
This probably means that your water is too cold to run through your RO effectively. Take a temp reading, if it's low then you need to warm the water a bit or your RO will run slow & waste water.