Do URI Actinic Whites look pink?

verde_ad

I just got a new VHO retro for my tank and was wondering if my actinic white bulb should look pink? I have never had VHO's before, so I don't know what they should look like. Will these bulbs "burn in" like halides or will they stay the same color? They are running on an ice cap 660 with two bulbs (1 super actininc, 1 actinic white).

T

thomas712

Double check them, make sure they are not the URI aquasuns, they do have that pink cast, I tried a set once and didn't like them. They did however seem to have a longer life.
Thomas

verde_ad

the bulb says actinic white on it. And the ring around the outside is blue. I have an aquasun bulb and it has a green ring around it. I just switched from only having a 250 watt 20k AB bulb, to having a super actinic and a actinic white + the halides. Do you think it could be that I am just used to really blue lights, so they loook pink? I am really reaching for something here. Even my wife says they look pink.

T

thomas712

Hmm could be.
I'm running 10k 250watt XM with 2 URI actinic white 50/50's and 2 actinic and I don't see any pink in my bulbs, not like with the aquasun.

verde_ad

well, I just compared the aquasun to the actinic white. I put them both next to eachother and turned them on and there is a difference, although very suttle. I couldn't really tell a difference, but my wife picked out the different bulbs without me telling her, so theymust be different. I got all three, so I could play around with different bulb combos. My sps colors were fading under just the 20k halide, so I am going to run two super actinics for a while and see what that does to the coral. If I do end up going with one actinic and one actinic white, which bulb should be in the front?
Thanks for the help,
AJ

T

thomas712

Which bulb up front depends on what you like, try it both ways and have your wife look at it. Not to say that you are but many men are slightly color blind, I am.
Thomas

verde_ad

I will try switching them around. I am a bit color blind too, so that is why she has been helping me. I own a restaurant and I always have to have my female staff members check the lettuce for me, because the difference between good lettuce and bad lettuce is too subtle for my eyes. I appreciate the help and will work on some of the different bulb combos. I have two actinics in now and will probably leave it that way for a bit to see what happens to the color of my corals.
Thanks for the help,
AJ