do you have a stingray?

Try the aggressive forums. Also, I would only reccomend the smallest, youngest stingrays in 180 gallons, and even then that would be minimum.

nick76

Originally Posted by keith burn
i know but i live by the gulf of mex and i will set free after thay get big
do thay grow fast?
Never Release Fish Back into the ocean!
thats a big No No.

andy51632

do thay grow fast?

alix2.0

do thay grow fast?
OH MY GOD PLEASE TELL ME YOU HAVENT DONE THIS BEFORE.

keith burn

Originally Posted by alix2.0
OH MY GOD PLEASE TELL ME YOU HAVENT DONE THIS BEFORE.

ok no but the rays i am talking about come from the gulf

alix2.0

still dont. you could introduce something from your tank into the ocean. parasites, diseases, etc.

btb9000

How would you feel if you introduced a parasite, disease, etc that wiped out the entire population of stingrays in the Gulf? Unlikely but still VERY possible.
If you can no longer keep the animal, a have no where to put it, please kill it. Harsh, but its better to sacrifice an individual animal, rather than an entire species or worse.

tang4me

Originally Posted by BTB9000
How would you feel if you introduced a parasite, disease, etc that wiped out the entire population of stingrays in the Gulf? Unlikely but still VERY possible.
If you can no longer keep the animal, a have no where to put it, please kill it. Harsh, but its better to sacrifice an individual animal, rather than an entire species or worse.
This simply is not possible. This particular stingray could die from the stress of being re-introduced to the ocean, but I doubt it and it would absolutely not affect it's environment in the gulf. Releasing a native fish back into it's environment would have no adverse effect. I'm not advocating it, but the danger is to the specimen in question not it's natural environment.
The danger is releasing non-native fish, and not because of a mystery virus that kills everything. The danger is those fish not only survive, but thrive and change the balance of the ecosystem. There are presently at least 16 non-native fish species thriving off the FL coast, including yellow tangs. This is currently being studied to see whether this will have an adverse affect or not.

Instead of killing it when it gets too big, why not just never get one in the first place? That'd be the smart thing to do.

keith burn

Originally Posted by BTB9000

1st how can you have Unlikely and very possible at the same time ?????
Now we have FLORIDA’S SALTWATER HATCHERY NETWORK...
Thay DO IT ALL THE TIME and imo thay do not keep the water as good as we do...
We do not add parasites,disease,etc we can not make new things in the tanks that is not in the world that is not in it now...
OR is it like very possibly & Unlikely as well ???
AND it came from the gulf in the 1st place.
And i will get a tank that it will live in for years.

nick76

1st how can you have Unlikely and very possible at the same time ?????
Now we have FLORIDA’S SALTWATER HATCHERY NETWORK...
Thay DO IT ALL THE TIME and imo thay do not keep the water as good as we do...
We do not add parasites,disease,etc we can not make new things in the tanks that is not in the world that is not in it now...
OR is it like very possibly & Unlikely as well ???
AND it came from the gulf in the 1st place.
And i will get a tank that it will live in for years.
Regardless if some1 else does something wrong that does not make it right for you to do it as well. The Answer here is No. No one on this board will agree with you about releasing fish or any sea creature back into the ocean. It is simply not acceptable. We are here to guide you in the right direction, we can only hope u take our advice. We are just trying to steer you in the right direction.
Stay away from Rays until u get a larger tank.

keith burn

[/QUOTE]Stay away from Rays until u get a larger tank.
OK if you look at the 1st post i asked what size tank.
I do not know how it all got to this but.
will a 9'-6'-4ft tub thay was for a l/r tank work if it will get like 8-12'' wide

nick76

Ive believe ive been told that a full grown ray will need a 3 foot wide tank 24 to 36 inches.

N

nereef

the only way it is safe to release back into the wild is if it is only kept with specimens that came from the gulf also. otherwise, it is possible to release something into the environment. saltwater hatchery network is safe because they only keep them with other native species.
so, as long as you keep with species of the same region (this includes:fish, inverts, live rock, etc) you will be fine.

keith burn

The tank i will put it in is 6ft wide 9ft long, and it will be from the gulf.
So if it is not going to be a good home for it i will take it back home.
We all try to keep the best water for the fish we love to keep and it will not be something i do lightly.We keep the light/water/flow all to make the home
for the fish the best we can and it will not be different for it.

cthomason

I have a 220 gallon tank with 2 puffers and 2 triggers. Can a stingray be put in this tank??? The tank is 6 foot long. It has a sump pump and protein skimmer underneath it.