Do you run a chiller on your reef...questions..

my5girls

I have no clue about chillers. I will be starting a 125 reef soon. Do you run a chiller? If so what kind? What brands should I consider..any to avoid? I would like something on the quiet side. How do you hook them into the plumbing..before or after the skimmer? Hubby is insistant on using a canopy with the MH/PC so I am almost positive that we will need one. Thanks!!

bang guy

Chillers are really expensive to run IMO. If you've got the bucks then buy a large one so it lasts longer.
If it were me I'd try fans installed in the canopy first. Point the fans so they blow dry air across the water surface. This will increase evaporation and that will cool the water. If you have a sump install a fan there too.
Don't fall into the trap of pointing the fans ar the bulbs. It's the water you want to cool off, not the bulbs.

my5girls

LFS told me that it would be best to use the glass top. The MH bulbs could break if any water gets on them. Using the fans like that would mean no glass tops. Will that be alright to use that way? The lights will be on legs 6 inches off the aquarium. Is that too low to use no glass? The lights come with external ballasts and a 4 inch fan in each end to help with the heat. Hubby was thinking about putting an additional 2 fans in each end of the actual canopy also. If we did that and did not use the glass do you think we could keep it cool enough? Thanks for all the info!!

kjord97

Here is my 125 gal reef with 2 sets of coralife MH's/ PC there is 2 150 watt Mh's and 4 65watt acentics. The lights sit about 6 inches above the tank. The water stays at 80-82 degrees depending on time of day. I keep the water flow pretty high at the surface as my powerheads are aimed up to give the shimmering light effect as well as to increase surface flow to keep water cool. The glass below the MH's will crack if it is the thin stuff. My glass is 1/2 inch thick and is used for the center bracers on the tank. You should not need a chiller as they are very expensive to buy and operate. I run the very basic stuff on my tank. A CPR hang on tank refugium, seaclone skimmer 150, and lights. The sand and rock is my main filter. Tank has been up and running for 2 yrs with everything growing and looking beautiful. Now if only I can figure out my new digital camera to take better shots. hehe

bang guy

Very few reefkeepers use glass tops, especially with a canopy. If you decide to keep the glass top then you will definately need a chiller.

my5girls

I am seriously condidering not going with the glass top. I guess they just made me paranoid about breaking bulbs. I don't plan to have any jumpers in there so I am thinking I should be ok not using it. On the light issue, I was looking at 3x250 MH with 4x96 PC...could I get away with the 3x175 MH and 4x96 PC? the tank will be 22 inches deep. I don't want any restirctions on what I may decide to keep in the future as I get more into it, that is why I thought the 250's but will the 175's work?

bang guy

If you don't want any restrictions on what you can keep then I'd recommend 250 HQI. The Double-Ended fixtures may provide you with piece of mind as well because they have a glass cover in the fixture to reduce UV light and this will also protect the bulb. I like them because it's really easy to clean the glass vs trying to clean a glass top or a bulb.
The 175 will work fine as well but you'll want to keep animals requiring intense light toward the top of the tank.
How long is your tank?

jhill5

I would go with 2x250 before 3x175, you may want to look into T5 for actinics, I have used PC in the past and I like the T5 actinics much better.
my $0.02

my5girls

What is the difference between the T5's and the PC's and why do you like them better. Actually, I can order them like that, 3 X 250W HQI WITH 4 X 80W T5 HIGH OUTPUT RETRO. I actually am doing away with the whole light hood and getting the retro fixture that hubby can screw inot the top of the canopy. I had no idea you could do that, but called the place I am ordering lights from and he said that is what I would need if using a canopy. So that made me feel better.
So why are the T5's better? Thanks for all the info!! I really do appreciate it.
Oh, the tank is 72 inches long, 18 wide (I think) and 22 inches tall.

dejaco

About chillers. My system is a 210 with a 45 sump. With 250 watt metal halide and two 160 watt VHO actinics - plus submersed pumps and powerheads - my tank went to 88 degrees F. Now with absolutely no heaters and 2 - 250 watt MH's and 2 160 watt VHO
I run a 1/3 hp Titanium chiller. I set for 77 ' F and water is always between 76.5 ' F & 78.5 ' F. I like the cooler tank temps - things don't grow as fast but things don't go astray as fast either. The tank does have glass canopy, without it the water movement was audible.