Do you trust your RO/DI too much?

garick

I thought it was mainly to remove phosphate, minerals, metals and such. Then use a dechlorinator after :D

bang guy

Originally Posted by Garick
http:///forum/post/3206760
I thought it was mainly to remove phosphate, minerals, metals and such. Then use a dechlorinator after :D
The carbon stage will remove chlorine and chloramine. Cranberry's point is that the carbon stage needs to be replaced regularly.

coral keeper

What kind of RO/DI filters does everyone here have? I got mine from the filterguys too. I got the:
$240.00 - OCEAN REEF + 2 SIX STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI
* All systems are made to order with clear 10" canister housings
* Stage One 5 micron poly sediment filter
* Stage Two 5 Micron Matrikx NSF rated CTO/2 Workhorse carbon block
* Stage Three 0.6 Micron Matrikx NSF rated chlorine guzzler carbon block
* RO membrane 75 GPD Dow Filmtec
* Stage Five refillable cartridge with color-changing DI resin
* Stage Six refillable cartridge with color-changing DI resin
* 100 PSI pressure gauge
* Auto shut-off (Requires Float Valve or Switch To Work)
* Dual TDS meter
* Membrane flush valve
* Quick connect fittings
* Self Piercing Saddle Valve Water Supply Connection
* Drain Connection
* Filter wrench to make cartridge replacement easy
ADD ON:
RO BYPASS VALVE - $12
Also, whats the Membrane flush valve for?

aquaknight

It's advised every 3-6 months depending on your usage/preference, to flush out the RO membrane to help prolong it's life. The flush valve allows you to flush out the membrane without disconnecting everything. Personally, I disconnect the membrane anyways.
I have a General-Water bay-of-e unit, I've replaced the RO membrane, replaced the DI section with a 10" unit, as well as the prefilters, all from the filterguys.
75gpd membrane
* 1 POLY SEDIMENT FILTER 1 MICRON
* 1 MATRIKX CTO/2 CARBON BLOCK FILTER
* 1 MATRIKX +1 CARBON BLOCK FILTER
THE TIDE SINGLE DI SYSTEM

cranberry

The membrane flush reverses the waterflow through the membrane to dislodge debris.... extends the life of the membrane.
Lemme see what my filters are..... the canister itself is an old 125 g/day system and whose brand is really immaterial.
I have no idea what may RO membrane is.... I'm sure I researched it well at the time and it's logged SOMEWHERE if I really needed the info.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/3208949
Hey Cranberry, does the DI resin get rid of chloramine?
Your carbon prefilters should remove chlorine/chloramine. If they get past them, the RO membrane should remove any left, however chlorine/chloramine cause the membrane to very quickly disintegrate.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3208962
Your carbon prefilters should remove chlorine/chloramine. If they get past them, the RO membrane should remove any left, however chlorine/chloramine cause the membrane to very quickly disintegrate.
Oh, ok.

cranberry

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3208962
There are different chloramines used... the most common is monochloramine, but it also includes tricloramine and at least one other... I forget.
The monochloramine is the smallest molecule and can pass through a reverse osmosis membrane.
Anyone can request a report from your municipal water peeps and see what is in your water exactly.

ryancw01

Good thread. I have never used carbon in my reef tank before, but this gave me the motivation to get out and buy some and throw in the sump. Do most people on here use carbon in their reefs all the time?

buckeyefs

One or two good quality carbon block prefilters will fist split the chloramine back into chlorine and ammonia. The carbn with adsorb the chlorine, and let the ammonia pass. Much of the ammonia gets past the RO membrane, but it is removed by the DI resin.
Russ

cranberry

Agreed. The problem arises when people don't change out their carbon frequently enough. There's no way to detect it unless you test for it. Your TDS will not pick it up. So, the chloramine doesn't get worked on by the carbon and passes by the membrane and isn't processed by the DI.... then you end up with it in your water. I know of 2 tanks with "sudden death syndrome" that tested positive.

aquaknight

Postal office is offically on my hate list. I ordered engines for my r/c plane from an online hobby store Sunday night, they went out Monday. Then I ordered new filters and the test kit Monday night, shipped Tuesday. I paid extra for priority for both so they'd get here before the weekend. Well neither has arrived
. I have tracking numbers for both, so I know they went out. It was raining Friday, the mailwoman probably didn't want to get wet

cranberry

Don't EVEN get me started with USPS. They wouldn't even try to deliver, say they did (online tracking) and then not even give me a slip. I now have a direct number to their boss if I have anymore troubles because they have messed me up so many times by just being lazy. My postal lady officially won't even speak to me if I say Hi

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3211649
Don't EVEN get me started with USPS. They wouldn't even try to deliver, say they did (online tracking) and then not even give me a slip. I now have a direct number to their boss if I have anymore troubles because they have messed me up so many times by just being lazy. My postal lady officially won't even speak to me if I say Hi

They are going to get an ear-full Tuesday (even worse, today's a holiday
).
I also ordered black silicone for the braces for my 240gal Monday night, which were shipped UPS ground, and they got here Thursday night.
Never again....