Does algea eat up PH?

buzz

When you say PH, do you mean pH as in acidity? Or PH as in phosphates? Because yes, they will suck up phosphates. High phosphates are a contributing factor to algae.
I don't think it has any major affect on acidity, at least no more than other factors.

bang guy

I have the same questions as Buzz.
On the PH as Acid/Alkaline flavor I believe Algae does have a significant impact on PH. Many reef systems have the PH drop after lights out because photosynthesis stops which increases the amount of CO2 in the water. This CO2 lowers the PH as Carbonic Acid.

eng50

This question is from my other post that I wasn't able to get a response on...I have had a sudden "testable" PH over last 48 hrs. I believe it is in correlation with the refugium algea bloom, but the lowered PH is affecting the inverts specifically the snails...I am adding Seachems reef buffer slowly to try to bring it back up, but more important to me is to find the cause...
Thank you for your input, if you have more advice please let me know!!
Bill

buzz

So then you ARE referring to acidity/alkalinity...
OK...have you tested your alkalinity? If not, be careful using buffers. Alkalinity and pH go hand in hand.

eng50

Yes, the alk is 9.5 dKH...so far...but any ideas on the sudden ph drop? Do you think im on the right track? I really don't like to use chemicals to fix a balance that is supposed to exist naturally...but if I can get to the cause I should be ok..

broomer5

Trying to understand your situation.
Are you saying you have a 75 gallon tank w/20 gallon sump that was up and running - and pH was holding stable.
THEN
You added a 5 gallon refugium w/algae lately - and within the last 48+ hours ...... your pH has dropped significantly ???
What was pH prior to adding fuge ?
What is pH now ?
Did you do a recent large water change when you added the fuge or macro algae ?
Is it caulerpa or another form of macro ?
Macro alage dosn't really "bloom" so much as it slowly grows.
What is the lighting duration in the fuge and tank ?
Hours on / off ????
Are you getting other forms of MICRO algae growth in the fuge ?
Do you have large amount of MICRO algae in the tank ?

eng50

Originally posted by broomer5
Trying to understand your situation.
Are you saying you have a 75 gallon tank w/20 gallon sump that was up and running - and pH was holding stable.
THEN
You added a 5 gallon refugium w/algae lately - and within the last 48+ hours ...... your pH has dropped significantly ???
That is correct...
What was pH prior to adding fuge ?
8.3 consistantly
What is pH now ?
after the buffer it is now 8.3 again...and removing the phosguard sponge
Did you do a recent large water change when you added the fuge or macro algae ?
No
Is it caulerpa or another form of macro ?
Grape Caulerpa, Razor type which is all brown now, and two other types I don't have names for..look like palm tree fronds
Macro alage dosn't really "bloom" so much as it slowly grows.
What is the lighting duration in the fuge and tank ?
Hours on / off ????
24 as per some recommendations here
Are you getting other forms of MICRO algae growth in the fuge ?
Do you have large amount of MICRO algae in the tank ?
Lots of micro on the glass in the fuge, completely covered, and a fair amount I clean every other day in the main tank (just on the glass..hermits take care of the rock etc)..I was told here to let it grow( in the fuge). Macro also growing well except the razor type

eng50

Broomer, thanks for the reply, sorry, new to doing the quote/reply thing...anyway...
Other levels
Alk 10dKH
Ca 440
Trate 10
Trite 0
Amm 0
SG 1.022
Phos .1
The only answer I can come up with is the algea, and try a reverse photoperiod vs 24/7...
any thoughts..??

eng50

Broomer? you there, I hate that the private messaging is disabled, can't get anyone when you need 'em!!

mal

How big of a Ph swing are you talking about? A small change is not a huge deal. When I say small, I mean a difference of .3 to .4. My Ph swung from about 8.3 during the tank lights on, to 7.9-ish after lights out. When I got my 'fuge I went with a reverse light cycle. Problem solved. Keep in mind, even the ocean see's Ph swings. It doesn't have the option of reverse light cycle refugiums. The 'fuge macro algae will use CO2 that builds up at night when the main tank lights are off. This is why a lot of folks run reverse light cycles. It will help in the Ph swings. Good surface agitation can also help with gas exchange in the main tank, sump / refugium. HTH

broomer5

eng50
I wouldn't be surpirsed at all to see some pH fluctuations after INITIALLY setting up your refugum.
Everything prior was stable.
Then you introduced some new factors - the fuge and the algae and the 24/7 lightings.
Most anytime we make a change - expect a change.
But over time - things will once again become stable.
Looks like you buffered the water - corrected the short term problem.
An increase in "growing" algae, and by adding a new area for this algae to grow under constant 24 hour lighting - may have very well caused the pH to drop. I would have to guess that it did at least.

eng50

Ok,
Removed Razor algea from refugium, all dead, think that was a big part of the problem..Water looks alot better, slowed micro algea growth everywhere
Changed light to reverse photoperiod (on refugium)...on at night off daytime..
PH still low and won't stay up...7.9 consistantly...
Leave it and see what happens, or keep buffering until it stabilizes at 8.3 consistantly??

bang guy

Before you add more buffer, what is your Ca level?
If your Ca level is very high then adding buffer could cause it to precipitate. This will lower the PH rapidly and possibly cause Caulerpa to sporulate ;)
a PH of 7.9 is not critical. It's a just symptom of a problem that needs to be corrected. It's also possible that it will work itself out as you suggested. We should try to find a problem just in case though.
Guy

eng50

Ca 430-440 as above, no other levels seem to be changing...
What happens when caulerpa sporulate?
thanks Bang, hopefully it will all work out , like I said, tank looks great now! Strange, very strange, but good!

bang guy

Originally posted by eng50
Ca 430-440 as above, no other levels seem to be changing...

Oh... guess I missed that. Really sorry :eek:
What happens when caulerpa sporulate?

It converts most of its mass to gametes. These little guys swim around clogging filters and overflowing Skimmers ;) The algae also disintegrates when this happens. PH can drop fast because of all the O2 consumed and CO2 produced from the furiously swimming gametes. Nutrient levels will also skyrocket at this time, Nitrate and Phosphate.

eng50

The razor type algea was almost disintigrating when I removed it. Does it do like the caulerpa?
Maybe that was it. I did see small (tiny) snail like bugs in the refuge, but assumed they were pods..not lots of them. The grape caulerpa is doing great, growing like wildfire...
I hope all is going on the right track, pacience is the key, just don't want to loose anything along the way!!!
Thank you
Bill
By the way, you didn't miss the Ca reading, I went back and editted it, it read MG before I fixed it, my error!!