does anyone here....

someone400

Originally posted by DVS
Yes, its refreshing to find humor in someones misfortune isnt it?

No, not really….I assume you are being sarcastic. You have to admire people who are less fortunate and can still have a sense of humor though.

moray345

just so yall know there is a difference between homeless and street people homless are people who got laid off or sumtin like that and cant afford a home and street are peopl who are lazy asses a who dont give a crap and get money from stupid people who think they are in need then go spend it on pot:yes:

moray345

i used to give but one day i gave a lady about 5 bucks she said she was going blind and all wel i give her some and she walks over to a cadillac and gets in and drives off i was so pissed:mad:

fishnerd

DVS- Hats off to you.
I find it funny that the responses like "I tell the lazy bum to get a job" et al, come from posters whose hobbies are endemic of teenagers who still live with their parents, and have no clue what its like to be down and out.
I GIVE FOOD AND CLOTHES TO THE HOMELESS OFTEN. I DO NOT GIVE OUT CASH.
I get off work at midnight in downtown Baltimore, and find it amazing how the same con artists come to me every night with the same BS sob stories. Just last night I told a guy how amazing it was that he always eats at the same fancy restaurant, and always locks his keys in his car after dinner. He forgets that he uses the same line on me 5 nights a week.
I praise those who help the less fortunate. Unfortunately, heroin and malt liquor are the problem of many asking for your handouts!

ctm474

I find it strangley ironic that the same people who say "just get a job" are the same people who assume every homeless person is going to use the money for drugs and alcohol. Maybe the reason they don't have a job is because of that sterotype that you portray on them. When they fill out the application at McDonalds or wherever you want them to apply and they leave the address section blank - when asked about it, they answer that they are currently homeless. I'm afraid the hiring manager might think the same things that you do - alcohol, drugs, theft. Once you are down that low it is extremely diffucult to bring yourself back up. I suggest you think about that the next time you are complaining about one of your "problems" - hair algae, high nitrates...

T

tizzo

Lets not forget the first words of the latest robbery victim... "If they woulda just asked me, I would have been more than happy to give it, I just don't like that they think they had to steal it from me."
Now it's those same people, the ones with signs that are asking you, nobody gives it willingly. Not a dollar, not a drink of water, not a pair of shoes and definately not a job!!
Would you honestly trust your business with one of these guys?? Especially when the interviewee after them is an upstanding high school student??

nw2sltfsh

Everytime I see a homeless person asking for food or money I think to myself "how far am I from being in that position" If my job ended tomorrow and I could not find one would I be able to keep my house and feed my kids? Or is it possible that I am living outside of my means that I could be in that position attempting to live
I have and will continue to give money, food, clothing and help to the homeless - with the unemployment rate recently - how far away are we honestly?

someone400

Most people, myself included, live from check to check. If I was to lose my job then it would be a relatively short time before I had to start a major sell off of what ‘luxury’ items I have and scale back of my lifestyle. I believe that most of us could find another job even if it was something that paid considerably less. It would mean that we would probably not be able to continue our hobbies like SWF though….

Count your blessings and remember those who are less fortunate because some day it could be you.

dvs

Originally posted by someone400
No, not really….I assume you are being sarcastic. You have to admire people who are less fortunate and can still have a sense of humor though.

You think I would say that honestly after reading what I had originally posted?

unleashed

Originally posted by Sevenley
Now I would tell that guy to get a job!

tell me something you would tell him to get a job?? if you were a business owner would you hire him?? think about it for a minute.ok sure there are alot of able bodied indeviduals that are homeless out of work for one reason or another, do you honestly think most of them just woke up one day and say hey I think Ill just lose my home, my family or my health sleeping in the streets begging for food booze or anything .does sound so much more apeeling doesnt it.ok sure alot of them drink they use the money for booze but in all honesty if you had lost everything like they have for one given reason or another would you want to look at your life sober?next time you judge someone on the streets think about how he got that way to begin with.not the fact of what he is still doing there.I grew up in a very small town.we had our single neighbor hood bum.we called him joe.no one ever realy knew his name but he slept on park benches with his dog.he walked around town picking up beer cans pop bottles and anything else he could make some money for .he dint't hurt anyone.no one ever seen that man do an honest days of work .people handed that man money left and right for food shelter of what ever his needs were but yet he still slept on benches and behind dumpters.
now ya heres the kicker to this story.joe passed away about 20 yrs ago or so but I will never forget him and i don't think any one from my town will either.all the money that was given to him he put into a trust fund.not for him self not even for family he didnt have a family.he left over 3 million dollars or more that he collected over his life with interest and gave it all to charity.. he was burried with a goverment burial pine box no head stone or cremated I dont know for sure but there was no funeral for joe.some people may chose to stay on the bottom of society. but that homeless bum named joe will always be remembered for his selflesness will you?
people in glass houses should never throw stones

socer03dud

a friend and I were walking down the older part of the town that i live in, or old town... We usually get on a bus and walk though it. We started to walk through the town when this homeless lady came by and started to beg for money from us. (she was smoking) She said "would you ladies spare some change, you look like rich folk" I started to laugh... Not at the homeless lady but what she said. She said would you LADIES spare some change, I am a guy (hence the name socer03dud, i forgot to add the c and the e) Though I would just share that

someone400

Originally posted by DVS
You think I would say that honestly after reading what I had originally posted?

No I would not which is why I made the assumption. I did not intend to offend you, if I did I apologize. I just didn’t want you to think that I posted that pic with the intention of making fun of the homeless in a mean spirited way.....:)

larrynews

i have, but my thought is that they have made every person in their family and every freind they have ever had mad or something that someone would not take them in....and when i still worked in tv before i started staying home with the baby, we did many stories on people that had signs that said will work for food...we asked all of them to do work even had a local busniess owner say he would give them work and not one would take it...they just wanted money

schneidts

When I was younger, I used to give money to "bumbs" all the time. Sometimes on a daily basis...my heart bled. I even left blankets for a local vagrant named Jim. I observed him day after day walking the same route, and retiring to his home under the bridge every night. It was cold, so I left him some blankets in a bag with a note attached, "Hey Jim, stay warm", it said. I gave $10 to another regular panhandler on the local strip, one day. He didn't ask for it, but every day he went through the garbage outside of where I worked and it just killed me to see someone reduced to that. I went out and said, "Here's ten bucks, man. This isn't a gift, this is payment for you to stop going through this garbage, and so you can get a good meal." He looked at me, shrugged, and walked away. Later that night on my way home I passed him sitting on the sidewalk with a nice tall brown bag. My point: statistically, the majority of homeless people are insane or addicts. It's very, very sad. However, if you are ever curious how hard it is to get help, go to your local department of social services and tell them you don't have a home, any money, or anywhere to go. They will most likely give you "emergency" money, a place to stay, and a card that will enable you to get groceries. The argument that homeless people can't get jobs doesn't really fly with me. If you want to, you can get cleaned up enough for an interview. I would say it's safe to assume that living that lifestyle would make you thrifty enough to land a job at McDonalds. Let's be honest, many of the people who are asking you for money are lying to you in regards to why they need it, I'd say they could lie on an application enough to write an address of a relative and lie enough to not volunteer they're homeless. To those of you who truly help those in need you are great people. I wish we lived in a world where no one had to worry where they were going to get their next meal.

unleashed

well think for a min whats the 2nd thing they ask for on a job application.phone number to be contacted.i dont see too many ppl eating out of a dumpsters that have a phone to be reached at.so cleaning them up a bit isnt always effective and whe it comes to welfare all i can say is hahahahahahahahahahahahhahha
do you realise how many people become homeless because of our welfare system?back in the day yes people abused the system they made a way of life some still do.those that know how to manipulate it do just that.but for the most of society people that just came on hard times such as lay off or shut downs alot lose everything because our system fails them.alot of them arent even capable to handle daily life because of mental or emotional disabilities or physical.most of th homeless people are mentally disturbed people to begin with.state funded mental institutions closed down no more goverment funding for them so the released the mentally ill onto the streets.some do ok but alot of them dont.Im not saying to hand your money out to each homeless person you see chances are they are capable of working for a living but not all of them are. I live in michigan and our shelters are over crowned and have no room for more to keep sheltered.this winter detroit itself even noted we have had a higher death count do to lack of shelter from the cold.its just a pitty thats all. our country prides itself on being the land of oppritunaty yet so many go homeless of hungry while we feed other countries and protect them while ours is going to hell ina hand bag.

moraym

Originally posted by fishnerd
I get off work at midnight in downtown Baltimore

I was just up in Baltimore this week for work, and I've got to say I'm too afraid to say no to some of those guys up there. Considering there's not a great police presence most times there, and outside of Powerplant Live someone told me he hoped i could "duck bullets" after I declined to listen to his story about using money to help Canton. He didn't have a gun, but he easily could've. I usually just ignore the people in Baltimore, but I'm always holding my breath i'm not going to be hit from behind by metal or flesh.
Our office used to be a few blocks outside the waterfront, and after two shootings outside and the daylight carjacking out front, they're all happy to be in a new spot on the inner harbor. Although it seems when i wander even a block away from that I've got to watch my back for beggars who may take things into their own hands.
I don't mind DC since the beggars are passive and just have signs. The guys in Baltimore are much more aggressive and can get me worried at times.
But to get more on topic, I don't give money to people on the street because the people who are most aggressive about asking for it, are usually asking for the wrong reason. I'll give money, time, clothes, etc to a shelter or someplace like that, because from what i've seen, those people are more likely the ones who came on troubled times, not the ones hustling me for cigarette money.