Does Anyone Regret Upgrading

jw1977

I'm considering upgrading from 46 gallon tank to a 120-180 gallon. Does anyone regret making the upgrade from either a maintenance or time standpoint?

24saltydog

How can you regret upgrading your tank. If you love fish and coral you will always want more. Go for the biggest tank you can get and then go bigger. The maintenance is the same on any size tank. You still have to do water changes, just alittle more water. I upgraded from my starter 72 gallon bow to a 180 and I am still looking to go bigger- 250-300g. The only down side is when you go bigger all the equipment also goes bigger in price. Upgrade and go the biggest the first time. It will save you money in the long run. Good luck.

I went from a 28G JBJ, to a 180G DT with a 105G Refuge
No regrets here, opened the door to alot more things, more and better fish, corals, etc.
the only drawback is cost, of course with size, there is an increase in cost. If you can afford it, then go for it.
The only thing I would suggest is don't go for cheap... I see fellow reefers trying to go BIG on a budget, DON'T do that... you will just be frustrated and most likely unsuccessful. Go for good equipment, lights, etc.

t316

Seriously jw....Time is not an issue, as you will (should spend just as much time on a 300 gal. as you would a 20). Water changes will be an adjustment, but one of the benefits is that you can get away with alot more mistakes...lots of water volume dilute errors.
But I cannot lie, a bigger tank will hit you in the wallet (more water, more salt, more lights, more desires for more corals/fish).
But I stick to my guns...bigger is better baby

novahobbies

I went from a 55 to a 110. Do I have ay regrets? YOU BETCHA.
I regret I didn't go larger. Get the maximum tank your space and wallet can afford comfortably. If you want a really big gun (200+) youre probably gonna need to save for a while. Like others have said, don''t forget to factor in the costs of the equipment. Get an RODI unit for yourself, it'll save you $$ with a large tank. Lights, skimmer, fuge, filters...all of this stuff is gonna be more money than you realize. Better to sit down with your budget and your signifigant other now and make the decision, then start saving for your new baby.
My 110 is awesome; I love working with it. But if I had to do it over again, I'd have saved for a little while longer and gone straight to my "dream" tank: a 265g 7-foot long beast. I doubt I'm ever gonna want to go larger than that, and I really shoulda went directly to that tank.

flower

I personally am at my max with a 90g...
Space plays a bigger part than money for me. I also want to be able to reach the bottom of my tank with no help.
While I agree bigger is better...I want my tank in th living room where I can enjoy it. I don't want my tank in some other room where nothing can fit in there but the tank. I don't want to just visit my tank, I want to live with it. I often watch my tank instead of the TV.

noah's nemo

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3142413

I personally am at my max with a 90g...
Space plays a bigger part than money for me. I also want to be able to reach the bottom of my tank with no help.
While I agree bigger is better...I want my tank in th living room where I can enjoy it. I don't want my tank in some other room where nothing can fit in there but the tank. I don't want to just visit my tank, I want to live with it. I often watch my tank instead of the TV.

I do this all the time....
Went to a 125 from a 75 0 regrets..Like said above,wish i went with a 125 from day 1..

lietz06

I went from a 55 to a 200 gallon tank. I looove having a bigger tank. Only because I can have more fish and lots and lots of room for corals. I'd def. say go for it! Like everyone else said...it does cost more. Maintence is pretty much the same...just larger waterchanges. Also like everyone said...go as big as you can. You don't want to get another upgrade syndrome...so just go as big as you can. Hope this helps:)

E

eric b 125

i went from a 55 to a 125. yeah, equipment is more expensive, but honestly, i just get it when i can. my 125 has been up for about a year now and i just finished adding the last bit of rock. dont get me wrong, it's looked good for the past year, but i figured what can another 50 lbs hurt... i still have a lot more upgrading to do (because i want to drill it, add sump/fuge, CLS) but for now all my levels are at 0 and as much as i hate to say it, i might do a water change once every 2 months, and my bio load is up there. i think that a 125 is a perfect size for a first reef.

ninjamini

I went from a 6 to a 12 to a 55 to 2 55's and now I have a 90 and a 56. the 56 is about to go bye-bye (I need the space) but I am aslo thinking about going from a 90 or a 180. All it takes is money and time.
Bigger tank = more money for water, salt, pumps, power heads...' yea dont forget fish and corals.
MONEY, money makes the world go around.

A

abeandlulu

I went from a 90 gallon to a 265 gallon and have not one regret. I love it. If i had the room I would go bigger. I was going to sell the 90 to help pay for the 265... Yea right that one is still up and running

small triggers

i went from a 35g to a 150g, THE ONLY REGRET I HAVE is i am not a professional plumber and i wish i would have planned that out better. Thats about it,,, I love the extra space to be able to get my hands in to clean, i love the fact my fish can grow comfortably, and i LOVE the look of a bigger tank!!!!

btldreef

We went from a 14G to a 40G to a 155G. I actually have a few regrets about losing the 40G because it was such a beautiful setup. BUT, I love the bigger tank and know that sooner or later it will be even more beautiful than my 40G was, and I want a bigger one (and will have one eventually, but a 155 in a 700 sq ft apartment is big enough for now!) Yes, I did say that, a 155G tank in a 700sq ft apartment!
We also watch the tank more than the TV, I think most people in this hobby will say the same thing.
I don't think it takes that must more time to maintain the larger tank. The biggest issue is money. Bigger tank = smaller bank account, bottom line.
If you can afford it, do it!