Does carol need to feed food

bang guy

He lost me when I read "The trubble with all these methords"

Sure, spelling is irrelevant to the facts but it certainly detracts from the credibility.

In my opinion, anything with a digestive tract should be fed. The only question is what and how much. Why would an animal, such as a Montipora sp. have 90% of it's biomass devoted to digestion if it wasn't necessary for it to feed?

The author also mentions that systems where hobbyists feed there corals have 20ppm Nitrate levels is simply false. Also false is where they mention that tanks with clams and SPS require Nitrate levels below 1ppm.

I give the video one star.

Bryce E

Agreed. Video was very poor. No offense to its maker. At least they took the time to make something and share their opinion. That takes effort. That being said, yes it is hard to keep your levels where you want them with the presence of extra nutrients and waste. But that's what modern day reef keeping is all about. The ability to add nutrition without over polluting the system. That's something that mother nature does very well. And we can only hope to learn enough about it to be capable of providing everything that is necessary for these ocean dwellers that we keep in a glass box in our living rooms... lol. But all coral's require food. A lot of food is provided in the way of light, giving sugar as a fuel source but lighting in the hobby is still far from what's being provided by the sun and in the wild they get solid food, dissolved organics, as well as the best lighting there is. (All 3) So I would have to say in my opinion that you need to provide a variety of nutritional sources for your corals. Even if our lighting was the same as the sun you'd still do this and since it's not it's that much more important. That's just my opinion.

I watched one of Mr. Saltwater video, he also said he never feed his corals, than I saw this one, I want to find out from here. I also watched Paul Talbot's video, he said people don't need protein Skimmer for reef tank, his mother had a tank with pretty good amount of corasl for nine years with out a protein skimmer.

Bryce E

Even if you're not "spot feeding", if you are dumping food in your tank for fish and other inverts you are likely adding small particulate matter that's too small for your fish to eat. Even if it is not your intention to feed your corals directly you are likely doing it anyways.

bang guy

Yes!

When I make fish food I purposely over blend it a bit just to ensure there is fine coral food and food for other carnivorous filter feeders.

pegasus

Yes!

When I make fish food I purposely over blend it a bit just to ensure there is fine coral food and food for other carnivorous filter feeders.
+1. I feed everything from LPS with large mouths, to the tiniest zooplankton...

mandy111

I used to target feed once a week, but last year or so I havent. , I just use ammino in the water twice a week at lights out and all the corals have thrived. They also obviously feed on fish pooh and food in the tank, The only thing I do feed regularly is my BTA's

I used to target feed once a week, but last year or so I havent. , I just use ammino in the water twice a week at lights out and all the corals have thrived. They also obviously feed on fish pooh and food in the tank, The only thing I do feed regularly is my BTA's
What is ammino? brand name