Does GFO affect chaeto growth?

raptor72

This stuff used to multiply so fast for me, I was always giving it away. Since my GHA problem started and I began using the GFO, I haven't been able to keep a healthy ball of chaeto. It just slowly recedes, like my hairline.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor72 http:///t/395077/does-gfo-affect-chaeto-growth#post_3516724
This stuff used to multiply so fast for me, I was always giving it away. Since my GHA problem started and I began using the GFO, I haven't been able to keep a healthy ball of chaeto. It just slowly recedes, like my hairline.
LOL...I like the hairline remark.
The macroalgae lives on phosphates and nitrates, that's why we keep macros in the fuge. As it grows it absorbs them from the water, we harvest out the overgrowth and that removes the bad stuff with it. You are running GFO that absorbs the phosphates from the water, and the little bit of nitrates is the only thing keeping the macroalgae alive...so naturally it isn't growing. Unfortunately GHA is a macro ( a very crazy invasive one) and feeds on the same thing your Cheato does. Once you removed enough nutrients to starve off the GHA...you also starve out the cheato.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor72 http:///t/395077/does-gfo-affect-chaeto-growth#post_3516724
Absolutely! GFO removes PO4 from the water column. Without PO4 Macroalgae cannot produce DNA. No DNA = no growth.

flower

Wow, I had no idea that it starved it of DNA.
Anyway it's still a win to run the GFO because it does what the macroalgae did. You may not have any macros in the fuge, but at least you don't have to be concerned anymore with GHA.

bang guy

Macroalgae will consume PO4 but has the added benefit of also consuming Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia.