Does high temp help rid parasites?

daredevil

Someoine at my LFS said that if u put you aquarium temp at 85F the parasites might go away and can't tollerate the temp. Is this true? If it is how long to I keep it there? I had 2 m percs (male and femal) and one morning the male( whom was injured when I bought) died. The guy at the LFS said that it could be a parasite( c my other thread"Percula clowns swimming in place"). Thanx

bang guy

Not really. This might have surfaced from letting a tank sit fishless to rid it of Ick. The Ick lifecycle is accelerated at higher temperatures and the tank doesn't have to sit as long.

G

grindzgreg

Yes the higher the temp the more it removes the paracites. Keep it at that temp for an hour.
Stay cute:happy: :happy: :happy: :jumping: :happy: :nope:

daredevil

It's been at 86 for about 5 days now. Will it help at all or will I have to take out my animals and put the temp to 95 or something. BTW the clowns along with most of the fish at the LFS have copper in their tanks. It might not be parasites at all. Maybe the male just died from being injured. So will 86 help rid the parasites at all? How much longer should I leave it there if it is helping at all? Something else. I don't know if this helps( I'm no clownfish expert) but the female's top fin( on top if her head) was up and so was the fin on her stomach. The males where the complete opposite. Theyu were both down. Does this help at all?

dburr

First you need to know what your treating BEFORE you can treat the fish.
Just raising the temp will not do a thing for your fish but stress them out.
What are you seeing? Fins don't look the same from fish to fish? That means nothing.
Are you seeing parsites? Ick? Do you know what to look for?:thinking:
How long have you noticed something is wrong?
Can you post more on your setup and how long have you had the fish and what type of fish?
HTH

daredevil

I'll lower the temp back to 80 tomorrow. Just read the thread percula clowns swimming in place(I'll bump it for u).:)

bang guy

Originally posted by daredevil
It's been at 86 for about 5 days now. Will it help at all or will I have to take out my animals and put the temp to 95 or something.

Help what? I don't know what you're trying to accomplish.

dburr

I'm trying to rid parasites. I think I have them.
OK, but WHAT parasites? What are your fish doing? What looks abnormal?
Do you see white spots, black spots, red spots or maybe no spots.
Need more info, if you know what "parasite" you can dial in on how to treat "that parasite".

daredevil

I think I might have velvet ick. My male false perc died all of the sudden. But when I bought him he was already injured and that could have killed him. It looked like white cottony balls on a curved line on the fishes side. The female had one on each side of her body and since i've raised the temp to 86 they have faded away. Am I doing it right? Will the parasite maybe go away after a while or just keep attacking fish?

daredevil

Something else. When fish die do they float or sink to the bottom? Also, when they r sleeping wouldn't they wake up if u touched them?

daredevil

I just looked in the disease forum and read the sticky beth put up. After the male died it looked like the picture of the clown in the sticky that had brooklynella. Is the disease in my tank or is he just rotting away from being dead?

dburr

If the fish is still in your tank, take it out. Sounds like a bacterial infection because of the wound. I would run some carbon before adding another fish.
Maybe someone else could chime in for more advice.
HTH