Does increasing temps do more harm than good?

florida joe

Originally Posted by luvmyreef
http:///forum/post/3238941
I couldn't agree more. I always keep my tanks at 77-79. I think it may be a very bad idea to increase the temp. Speeding up the death of your fish in my opinion.Besides, I always thought that the warmer the water, the faster the lifecycle of ick, thus making it harder on the fish. If you keep it cooler and slow down the cycle, you will have time to treat the problem, and boost your fishes immune response, and not have the problems stated above. But this is just my opinion.
Any additional info is appreciated on the subject.

Well let’s go on the assumption that higher then normal temps will speed up the life cycle of ick. If in fact that is the case, what we are trying to do is get the parasite in its vulnerable cycle in the kill zone of the particular method we are using faster. By speeding up the process we can shorten the time we need to tread the fish and get it back to a more normal environment

luvmyreef

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3249163
Well let’s go on the assumption that higher then normal temps will speed up the life cycle of ick. If in fact that is the case, what we are trying to do is get the parasite in its vulnerable cycle in the kill zone of the particular method we are using faster. By speeding up the process we can shorten the time we need to tread the fish and get it back to a more normal environment
Why Joe, this is the first time you have posted in one of my threads....:) I totally understand why people increase their temps during an ick outbreak. I just decided never to do it, based on my own research. But lets give another scenerio shall we: a newb purchases a fish that has a couple white spots (he misses) from his local store, thinks the fish is fine. Next day receives an online order of fish. and instead of doing it the right way he dumps fish and water into his tank, not knowing that he just dumped ick in his tank. Now he has ick in two different stages in his tank. He posts on here that... oh my goodness one of my fish have ick! Help.... First thing he does is increase temp...speeding up the cycles of the ick.....good or bad idea?
Anyways, the article in this post was just to raise the question of what else are the high temps doing to our fish/tanks in the process.

florida joe

Why Joe, this is the first time you have posted in one of my threads....:)
So many posts,it takes time to offend everyone.. Now for your scenario. I need some more info if you want a yes or no answer. What type of fish, size and type of tank, is he going to treat in DT or QT and how is he going to treat
I do believe you meant to say that the fish he revived on line had no ick am I right?

luvmyreef

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3249589
So many posts,it takes time to offend everyone.. Now for your scenario. I need some more info if you want a yes or no answer. What type of fish, size and type of tank, is he going to treat in DT or QT and how is he going to treat
I do believe you meant to say that the fish he revived on line had no ick am I right?
You...Offend...Nah!!...I find your replies quite interesting. Anyway, the scenerio was just an example of how one could introduce ick into the display tank in different parts of their lifecycle. And if increasing temps speed up these cycles, then imo that would be a bad thing. But that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. Besides, people will do what they want regardless of advice they receive.
I found it interesting to see the above article on warmer temps, and was hoping cranberry could give more info. into what the effects are when temps are increased period or while treating problems.

florida joe

You...Offend...Nah!!...I find your replies quite interesting. Anyway, the scenerio was just an example of how one could introduce ick into the display tank in different parts of their life-cycle
understood and something the new hobbyist needs to understand. My post was to simply point out why some hobbyists would consider raising their temp