Does weld on 4 work glass to acrylic?

bmkj02

Getting acrylic to stick on glass is hard. I tried it and it last for almost a year and started coming apart. Usually acrylic with acrylic and use weld on for the glue or glass with glass and use silicone. When I redid mine I just went with glass all the way around.

dan81

I'm trying to build a refugium to replace my old one thats giving me all sorts of problems. I bought a glass tank so maybe ill just get the baffles cut out of glass. Silicone would then be the best thing to use?

acrylic51

Silicone doesn't adhere to acrylic very well....If your fuge is primarily glass the outside walls and using acrylic for the inside baffels you can get away with that, but not a super strong bond.

bmkj02

Even siliconing acrylic baffels to a glass tank is pushing it. Wont last long. Maybe a year like mine did. Silicone is the best thing you can you to put glass baffels in a glass tank. Lowes and HD glass in pretty thin. I didnt like it and the edges were to sharp. Good chance on getting cut if you are doing any maintenance. I went to a glass shop and had them cut the pieces for me and bevel the edges. 1/4 thick glass

spanko

Yup, do it right the first time and use glass baffles and silicone for a glass tank conversion to sumpfuge.

scsinet

A little sandpaper goes a long way towards breaking the edges of cut glass to prevent cuts.
THe thing to keep in mind in a sump application where you are using a pre-built aquarium and installing baffles is that really all you need to do is put enough silicon in place to structurally hold the baffle and make it "mostly" water tight. Small leaks here and there aren't going to matter much, because the flow through any sump is enough to overwhelm the any leakage and spill over the top of the overflows anyway... in other words, when you are using a baffle to divide two compartments, both with water, what does it matter if 1% of the water leaks through and 99% goes up and over like it's supposed to...
When installing acrylic baffles, I usually use a TON of silicon... a huge 3/4" bead on each side of the acrylic, to lock it in place. I've never had a problem doing this. The trick is to use thick enough acrylic that flexing is not major. If the baffle flexes under the weight, it can pull hard enough on the silicon to break the weak bond between the silicon and the baffle. Once this happens it's only a matter of time before it fails entirely. I never use anything other than 1/4" acrylic for baffles.
A good adhesive that bonds to glass and acrylic is Marine Goop or Locktite Marine Adhesive and Sealant. You could use small amounts of this to structurally bond the baffles to the glass, then follow behind with silicon to form the seal. You could use this stuff for the entire job, but it gets expensive, and it's very difficult to remove should you ever want to reposition your baffles.

dan81

Ok, I purchased the glass tank yesterday and I still have the receipt. Keep in mind, I most definitely wanna do this right. I have been on the refugium mission for the last 2 weeks. I finally decided to scrap my old fuge and just make a bigger and better one.
Here are my options:
A) Keep the tank i purchased and use glass baffles with silicone (I don't mind glass at all and weight is not an issue)
B) Try to force the acrylic baffles into the glass aquarium (don't wanna do this due to the advice and the fact it's a short term fix)
C) Purchase some acrylic sheets and build the fuge myself. (I have no experience with this whatsoever)
Please help.
Thanks

cranberry

In the past I have used acrylic sheets (thick) and silicone. I now use Marine/Outdoor EPDM foam rubber weather stripping. Be sure to choose EPDM.
Be careful with the sizing of the baffles. If it's too snug the pressure can break the glass panels. It should have a little teenie weenie clearance. Silicone will hold it really well. Some of my baffles I couldn't get out... they can be pretty sturdy.

dan81

Ok....I have a new option! LOL. I just spoke to my LFS. He can build me the fuge out of acrylic to my exact measurements and he'll charge me $210. I'm in $40 with the glass tank at the moment. I would need to purchase the silicone (sealant) plus have the glass baffles pre cut. That should bring me into the neighborhood of 200 bucks. I'm thinking this is the way to go here. Any objections or suggestions?

cranberry

Are you the DIYer type? If it's a hateful task, by all means get the pre-made. Wait, before I go further, how big of a sump are we talking here? And what have you bought already? What tools do you have?

dan81

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3167141
Are you the DIYer type? If it's a hateful task, by all means get the pre-made. Wait, before I go further, how big of a sump are we talking here? And what have you bought already? What tools do you have?
I'm running a 65 gal. I'm restricted by space under he tank (main problem as to why everything has gone to ---- lol). I am pretty handy and crafty. The only thing I've purchased is the glass tank, which I can return. It's a 20 gallon. The measurements are 30x12x12. I have access to most tools necessary. Thanks Dad...lol

cranberry

Oh no Dood, totally do it yourself. It will not cost you 200 bucks... plus the 40 you spent.
One tube of silicone from the hardware store. Cheap. You can get acrylic sheets from Home depot. Cheap. If they don't have them thick enough, you can glue 2 together. The weather stripping I was talking about if you wanted to go that route. Cheap.
Experience in doing such things is priceless. If you do it yourself, the next time someone comes on here, you can tell them how YOU did it and how/if you would do it differently.
Why would you need someone to cut the acrylic. You could do it with a dremel if you had to. Any cutting tool will do.

dan81

http:///forum/post/3167152
Oh no Dood, totally do it yourself. It will not cost you 200 bucks... plus the 40 you spent.
One tube of silicone from the hardware store. Cheap. You can get acrylic sheets from Home depot. Cheap. If they don't have them thick enough, you can glue 2 together. The weather stripping I was talking about if you wanted to go that route. Cheap.
Experience in doing such things is priceless. If you do it yourself, the next time someone comes on here, you can tell them how YOU did it and how/if you would do it differently.
Why would you need someone to cut the acrylic. You could do it with a dremel if you had to. Any cutting tool will do.
Well, I was gonna stay with glass all the way around if I did it on my own. So, I'd definitely want someone to cut the glass for me. That's where I think I'd pay a pretty penny. I dunno. Ive been having such a horrific experience trying to accommodate everything under the tank that I'm almost leaning towards having it done for me professionally. As it is, I'm gonna have to cut out a second door on the side of my tank stand to be able to slide in the tank. What a mission!

cranberry

You honestly don't have to use glass. But it seems that's the way you want to go, the pre-made sump, and indeed sometimes it's nice to have someone to do the work for ya.
I have a couple of pre-made sumps because there wasn't a standard glass tank that would fit in the dimensions.

dan81

http:///forum/post/3167170
You honestly don't have to use glass. But it seems that's the way you want to go and sometimes it's nice to have someone to do the work for ya.
I'm actually gonna have it done out of acrylic if it's built for me.
My original idea was to use the glass tank with acrylic baffles. I'm a little freaked out by some of the posts saying they're seals have come undone. I don't want to be on this mission a few months or years down the road. I rather get it done right the first time. I'm a finance manager at a VW dealer and I have this pet peeve that I only touch a deal once. That's just the way I am. I rather pay more, work more, whatever the case but get it done right.
You're right, it is nice to have it done although I like the hands on approach and would actually prefer to do it myself...