Does your LFS give you some % off of things?

coral keeper

Originally Posted by fishissues
yea my lfs don't do zip for me they try to trick me because im not an adult -.-
I'm also not and adult. I'm only 14.

teen

Originally Posted by DragonZim
Which stores are you talking about Teen? I find that depending on who I am talking to at Aqua Hut I may get different prices. Don and Tony (the guy with the brown ponytail) give me great deals since I'm in there all the time. Which shop do you work at?
first i was talking about was aqua hut.
second is fishy inc. les gives (or at least gave) 10% off to LIRA members. plus i knew him good so he would alsways give me a fair price on things. too bad hes closing shop.
and i work at suffolk county fish and reef. you ever stop in there?

stephish

Yeah, my LFS is great I get a "frequent flyer" discount automatically and if I buy multiple corals I get a bulk discount too. I've been working on setting up a 90g and they've been great in helping me find deals on my lights and other equipment. They're also fabulous about special requests on orders.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by teen
first i was talking about was aqua hut.
second is fishy inc. les gives (or at least gave) 10% off to LIRA members. plus i knew him good so he would alsways give me a fair price on things. too bad hes closing shop.
and i work at suffolk county fish and reef. you ever stop in there?
I've been to SCFR a couple of times, but it was back when they had first opened and didnt have too much stock. I'll have to make another stop in there. What days do you usually work? I've been to Fishy, Inc once, right after Les moved into his new store. I was really impressed with his frag setup but since he had just moved in he didnt have a whole lot of stock. The folks at the LIRA forum on -- said that he has some other project coming up which is why he is closing down... Aquahut just rocks.. Don is a great guy. He's given me some great deals and stayed open late a few times for me when I was working late and needed to pick some rock up from him.

renogaw

some of our lfs's were getting me REALLY good before i joined up CT Area Reef Society. now, some of the lfs stores actually give up to 30% discount on everything, and GREAT specialy group buys. I'm able to get the 5 gallon bucket of instant ocean for $32 from a few of our stores simply because i'm in CTARS.

kirkland

The LFS I frequent the most has good sales at least once a month, sometimes more often. He is easy to haggle with as well and the RO/DI water is free. The other LFS, not so much.

aquaknight

10% off for the local reef club here too.
Though usually the prices aren't marked, and if you get the owner, he usually enters the prices off the top of his head instead of looking them up. He charged $70 for my Tusk when he listed at $89.99.

maelv

I got that big acan in the middle of the tank for $40 bucks at an LFS, he was wanting $80 originally, but hooked it up....it measures a good 6" x 5" pretty good deal.

teen

Originally Posted by DragonZim
I've been to SCFR a couple of times, but it was back when they had first opened and didnt have too much stock. I'll have to make another stop in there. What days do you usually work? I've been to Fishy, Inc once, right after Les moved into his new store. I was really impressed with his frag setup but since he had just moved in he didnt have a whole lot of stock. The folks at the LIRA forum on -- said that he has some other project coming up which is why he is closing down... Aquahut just rocks.. Don is a great guy. He's given me some great deals and stayed open late a few times for me when I was working late and needed to pick some rock up from him.
i work monday, thursday 4-8pm
friday,10am-4pm
and sunday 10:30am-5pm
yea, les is closing shop (not sure if he actually shut down yet). i know what hes getting into, but im not supposed to say.
and yea, aquahuts great for pretty much everything.

petjunkie

Mine's a pet store, doesn't techinally sell saltwater really but I set up a display sw tank for the owner and am helping her set up a 120 in her new house, plus I bring her my excess corals/old equipment and whatnot. For this I get everything fishy at her cost and free mice for my snake. Plus I have credit there, I just ordered a 135 rr Oceanic and owe $180 more on my bill which is paid whenever I am. I buy a lot of pet stuff there, usually at a discount also.

milkman

I'm such an ass I walk in with the walmart of fish stores catologe and tell them to match the price or I buy it from them. LFS owners would rather make very little money than none at all. LFS all realize there competing with online vendors who don't charge sales tax and sell at cheaper prices. I understand ther trying to make a living but there's a huge mark-up on fish related products.

Big franchise stores suck for discounts. Little mom and pop stores are the best! They have way nicer fish and know alot more. I go into this little shop with nice fish every week. Say whats up and talk fish for a bit and he gives me deals on everything in the store. 3 inch Mystery Wrasse for 70 bucks...guiddy up!

fanker

because they usually mark up the price 300% so if they get something for $5 they sell it for $15 but if they think ur not goin to buy it for the price than they will lower it soo no matter what there making money and the faster they get things out the less death they have

stumpyfish

there is only one LFS around here that even sells SW supplies and fish. usually they give me deals on snails and crabs and sometimes shrimp, but their prices are so inflated that its nothing to brag about. I just bought a cleaner shrimp there this past weekend and it ended up costing 22$ marked down from 29. Stinks.

waterlogged

Originally Posted by stormy31
i have spent probably over 1000 dollars at this guys shop and he NEVER gave me a deal.

Same where I go.