Dog bite need advice

lovethesea

are you sure they don't care? Because by sis in law has one and their agent asked (when they built their lake house) what kind of animals they had. I am guessing if they declined to tell the truth, any problems in the future they would not be covered (as far as the animal) I am guessing. Now Bailey (their pit) has NO I repeat NOOOOOO clue what he is. Biggest laziest cutest sweetest lug of a dog. Not one growl, glare,threat EVER from this dog towards people. Of course he barks like every other dog and lets his presence known when the mailman, delivery person, etc comes buy. The trash guys love him, they give him treats. When my kids were younger, they tugged, pulled, hung onto him etc. Most pits get a bad rap imo.

halamaya

beautiful dogs!! I don't think that his dog would be walking away so well after meeting those two one bad terms. My pug beagle mix always pairs up with the pitbul and use's it as a gaurd. While she runs around causing trouble nipping at legs by unseen dogs.

btldreef

Originally Posted by Katsafados
http:///forum/post/3200843
Just call the police. If he comes to your door again, tell him hes harrassing you and your going to call the police. State that your dogs are chained, theres a law that all dogs much be leeshed, his dog trespassed and as a result your dog might have acted apon it, also let him know you have your neighbour as a witness that there was no barking ect. I dont think you should deal with this guy further, and let the police do the talking. If everything you say is true you shouldnt have anything to worry about. DO NOT CALL THE VET OR HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THAT, ITS LIKE YOU ADMITTING FAULT EVEN IF YOU ARE TRYING TO BE KIND AND HELP THIS PERSON IF IT WAS ACCTUALLY YOUR FAULT.
If your dogs acctually attacked his, he should have called the police right there and then.
+1
I actually had a dog bite mine about 3 years ago. It was my fault, my dog got out, and got punished for trespassing. The guy was so scared that I was going to sue him. But it was my fault. I even offered to sign a paper stating that my dog trespassed just to put him at ease because my vet wanted a record of the shots as well. My dog is an idiot who thinks big dogs are toys

This guy is harassing you and definitely trying to scam you. If he shows up again, call the damn cops or go to the precinct and file a complaint.
Firstly, if your dogs were so "big and mean", I think his little dog would be a little more injured, don't you? My dog (a 25lb rat terrier) tangled with a pit puppy (which is why we asked for a shots record) who was on a chain, and got torn up! Secondly, he had to come back more than once? That's harassment. Do not send his vet any paperwork. If he had been polite, then yeah, go ahead, but he's being ridiculous. If your dogs are up to date on their shots, tell him they are and let it go. If he sues you, well, then you have to open up the boxes or go to the vet and find the papers, otherwise, don't give him anything.
BTW, nice looking dogs

srfisher17

I really don't want to open the whole pit bull can of worms. But in many localaties, when stuff likes this gets to court, just the word 'pit bull" can often swing the whole outcome---fair or not.

lil.guppy

Your dogs are beautiful
I worked for the SPCA of Texas and if your dogs were leashed in your back yard there is nothing that guy can do. He has to prove that your dogs were loose or on the run and they were not. Do not show him shot records and dont talk to him unless a lawyer or police officer is present.

flower

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3201554
I really don't want to open the whole pit bull can of worms. But in many localaties, when stuff likes this gets to court, just the word 'pit bull" can often swing the whole outcome---fair or not.

This kind of thinking is what the "bite victim" is hoping for. You did nothing wrong, the dogs were on their property and chained...do not give in to fear, thinking you can't win so pay for this nut to go away.

yerboy

So far he hasnt asked for anything but my shot records. I did thake those to hit vet today, she didnt give me much information but she did say that they had to sew the dog up and he was in pretty bad shape but doing much better today. Also she said it would be another 10days before they would know how well the dog is going to be.. Im not sure what that means, is the dog in some kind of coma? When i saw the dog he didnt appear to have a scratch on him.
I asked to see the dogs shot records and she told me it would be illegal to show me without the owners permission but she did say the dog was up to date.
Either way i close on my house here jan 29th and close on my new house the same day 150 miles away so ill be gone very soon and starting a new build thread.

lovethesea

I still say you should get some sort of police report. It may be too late now, but something in writing that his dog was off a leash and wandered into your yard. By his own admission he was walking his dog on the road which was waaay far from your chained up dogs.
Hopefully he is realizing this story won't work out for him in the long run and drop it.

reefraff

Originally Posted by yerboy
http:///forum/post/3201678
So far he hasnt asked for anything but my shot records. I did thake those to hit vet today, she didnt give me much information but she did say that they had to sew the dog up and he was in pretty bad shape but doing much better today. Also she said it would be another 10days before they would know how well the dog is going to be.. Im not sure what that means, is the dog in some kind of coma? When i saw the dog he didnt appear to have a scratch on him.
I asked to see the dogs shot records and she told me it would be illegal to show me without the owners permission but she did say the dog was up to date.
Either way i close on my house here jan 29th and close on my new house the same day 150 miles away so ill be gone very soon and starting a new build thread.
You didn't give the vet ask for your personal info, name address etc. where they may attempt to bill you did you?

yerboy

well my info was on the shot records so they have that. i hope they dont try to bill me thats for sure.

reefraff

http:///forum/post/3201727
well my info was on the shot records so they have that. i hope they dont try to bill me thats for sure.
Yeah, I would have never given them the info. Hope I am wrong but I think you haven't heard the end of this.

yerboy

well on to a more positive note
here is my swc mini cone. in the process of curing/cycling some old LR thats been sitting dry for about a year. I spiked it with about 12oz of nog so its running harder then it should.

aw2x3

http:///forum/post/3201727
So much for taking everyones advice. lol
By giving any info, to the persons vet, you've only made yourself look guilty. Don't be surprised to get the bill. And if you end up going to court, for it, that's one major factor they're going to bring up.
You shouldn't have given the guy squat, contacted your local police dept and sat on your hands. If you would've done that, you probably wouldn't have heard anything else about it...now, you've opened yourself up for alot more trouble.
I hope you don't think you moving is going to put a stop to it, if this escalates.

yerboy

Originally Posted by AW2x3
http:///forum/post/3201861
So much for taking everyones advice. lol
By giving any info, to the persons vet, you've only made yourself look guilty. Don't be surprised to get the bill. And if you end up going to court, for it, that's one major factor they're going to bring up.
You shouldn't have given the guy squat, contacted your local police dept and sat on your hands. If you would've done that, you probably wouldn't have heard anything else about it...now, you've opened yourself up for alot more trouble.
I hope you don't think you moving is going to put a stop to it, if this escalates.
Yah i didnt listen to anyone, im hard headed like that.
I know that moving isnt going to stop this guy from doing anything legally if he chooses to do so, but at this point i dont think he will. He knows he was in the wrong and doesnt have a leg to stand on. What will be will be.

reefraff

http:///forum/post/3201924
Yah i didnt listen to anyone, im hard headed like that.
I know that moving isnt going to stop this guy from doing anything legally if he chooses to do so, but at this point i dont think he will. He knows he was in the wrong and doesnt have a leg to stand on. What will be will be.
If this guy's dog was up on it's shots why would they even need your dog's records? If he goes to court and says your dog was off the chain can you prove it wasn't? His response in court will be "then why did he give me his dog's records?" Hope we're wrong.
Nice skimmer too.

yerboy

yes i can prove my dogs where on there chains. Hell even the guy told me my dogs had not gotten of the chains. His own vet said his story was that his dog came into my yard. I will keep everyone updated.

yerboy

Found this§ 44-17-403. Liability for death of pet; damages; exemptions
(a)(1) If a person's pet is killed or sustains injuries which result in death caused by the unlawful and intentional, or negligent, act of another or the animal of another, the trier of fact may find the individual causing the death or the owner of the animal causing the death liable for up to five thousand dollars ($5,000) in noneconomic damages; provided, that if such death is caused by the negligent act of another, the death or fatal injury must occur on the property of the deceased pet's owner or caretaker, or while under the control and supervision of the deceased pet's owner or caretaker.

and this
§ 44-8-413. Injury caused by dogs; civil liability; exceptions; limitations
(a)(1) The owner of a dog has a duty to keep that dog under reasonable control at all times, and to keep that dog from running at large.
A person who breaches that duty is subject to civil liability for any damages suffered by a person who is injured by the dog while in a public place or lawfully in or on the private property of another.
(2) Such a person may be held liable regardless of whether the dog has shown any dangerous propensities or whether the dog's owner knew or should have known of the dog's dangerous propensities.
i just cant find any way in reading the tennessee laws that he would have a case against me.

bionicarm

Based on your original post, this incident occurred 3 days ago. From what I've read, he hasn't contacted you or come back by to discuss his dogs injuries, correct? If not, I would assume the following:
1) The 'injuries' on his dog were negligible or non-exisitent
2) He took his dog to the vet, and the vet told him the injury was negligible.
3) He contacted his lawyer yesterday, explained what happened, and his lawyer cited him the same statutes you found.
In any of the three scenarios above, the guy apparently knows it's a waste of his time and money to sue you because of the minor injuries, no injuries, or he doesn't have a leg to stand on. I'm willing to bet he's blown it off, and will steer his dog away from your property, or keep him on his leash when he walks by your property. At this point, I think you're getting all worked up and worrying about nothing.

yerboy

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3202043
Based on your original post, this incident occurred 3 days ago. From what I've read, he hasn't contacted you or come back by to discuss his dogs injuries, correct? If not, I would assume the following:
1) The 'injuries' on his dog were negligible or non-exisitent
2) He took his dog to the vet, and the vet told him the injury was negligible.
3) He contacted his lawyer yesterday, explained what happened, and his lawyer cited him the same statutes you found.
In any of the three scenarios above, the guy apparently knows it's a waste of his time and money to sue you because of the minor injuries, no injuries, or he doesn't have a leg to stand on. I'm willing to bet he's blown it off, and will steer his dog away from your property, or keep him on his leash when he walks by your property. At this point, I think you're getting all worked up and worrying about nothing.
Thats exactly how i feel about it. i dont think anything will come of this.