Dogs and Lymphoma

scotts

CB, I was trying to type something and I sounded too preachy. Let me just say I know what you are going through and bascially it sucks! You will know when it is time to get a new dog.

cranberry

I've had a great couple of days. I ended up requesting the Flagyl and he's back to his old self again. But I think it was letting off after the weekend of immodium. Figured it wouldn't hurt. I would love to take him for a walk but I'm afraid it would make him too winded.

al mc

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3080880
I've had a great couple of days. I ended up requesting the Flagyl and he's back to his old self again. But I think it was letting off after the weekend of immodium. Figured it wouldn't hurt. I would love to take him for a walk but I'm afraid it would make him too winded.
Still, all in all, good news

cranberry

So..... how will I know it's time. Everyone keeps saying we will know. I don't want to wait until he gives up on life altogether.... but I don't want to give him up prematurely.

bigarn

Does he seem to be in pain? Is he eating? Going to the bathroom pretty normally? Lethargic?
Sorry for the questions, but I just picked the thread up from here.

cranberry

I think the nodes are coming into his airway. He's had increased work of breathing since the beginning. It's why I brought him to the vet in the first place. The only time it subsided was when we first started the steroids and again when the weather got cooler. He's intermittently whistled since forever.
He didn't walk all the way out to the gate with me, to make sure it closed, like he usually does.
He was a little slow in taking his peanut butter cookie this morning. The reason I think this has to do with obstruction verses anorexia is that he will gobble up soft or small items really fast. He sounds like he's choking when I give him the dry hard cookie. I think I'm going to have to take away his favourite thing or find a nice way to soften it. I'm going to go make him an egg for his morning p.ills and see if he eats that normally.
When he gets excited he seems to take awhile to recover.... pants a lot. Hypoxia? Retained CO2? He does seem a little "slower". He holds his neck straight like I see in kids who have stridor after he gets all happy.
The possibility of pain really bothers me. I know they are said to take a lot before they show it. I don't want that for him. We've had an absolutely beautiful 8 months, I don't want his last days to be filled with pain he's trying to hide. No one wants the last bite to be sour. I do have him on pain meds though.... just in case.
He just went after one of the squirrels like a rabid dog..... but then he pays for it with worsening work of breathing. Oh he loves those squirrels.
Another normalcy I just say that maybe he wouldn't do if he was feeling really bad.... he was just licking the Beagles ears. The Beagle is really gonna miss that. I have to remember to record the noise she makes..... it's pure love.
His eyes look sad......

bigarn

I realize what a tough, heart breaking thing it is to watch this happen to our best friends. I've had to put 2 dogs down because of cancer. IMO your pal isn't ready yet. Once all normal activity stops and he becomes very uncomfortable and lethargic, then I'd say it's time. All we can do is make them comfortable as possible and cherish the time with them.

al mc

CB.....in my experience dogs with lymphoma are not in pain. They become weaker over time, have difficulty breathing and/or eating which then presents us with unpleasant decisions. The breathing difficulty could be from the neck nodes, but more likely than not they are from the mediastinal area glands in the chest.
Euthanasia is always a difficult decision. I am dealing with cancer in one of my own pets and do feel that as a pet owner (not a vet) I will know when it is time.
IMHO, it does not sound like it is time for you to make that choice.
(I use the squirrel chase factor with my own dog as one of the signs!)

cranberry

When he sleeps on his side he really struggles. When he sleeps on his belly with his head on his paws he sleeps better. Does that behaviour sound about right for the mediastinal?
Could he be hypoxic? I'm gonna steal an O2 tent from work.... LOL. he reminds me of someone with COPD.

S

smartorl

Like most women know when they are in labor (I've been watching too many "I didn't Know I was Pregnant" episodes) you will know when it's time. If the realization doesn't come from you, you will always have questions.
When you look at him, eye to eye do you think he is a happy dog? We always tell people to examine the quality of life. Like was stated before, he doesn't know he has the c-word so his actions and reactions are based on how he feels. He is an aged dog and to be honest, I just saw this thread for the first time, he's done quite well well to still be in such good shape this many months later.
I hope you find some peace in whatever decision you make. It's never easy losing a beloved pet.

cranberry

If it wouldn't throw him over the edge, I'd love to bring him to the vet to get an xray shot to see what is where....... but it would cause him some major stress.
His tolerance for activity has definitely gone down. We just walked out to the garage and he's winded. That's probably why he was hesitant about the cookie.... he was out of breath from me coming home this morning and getting excited. That's probably why he sounds the way he does with his cookie... he's trying to eat and breath at the same time.
I have no idea what he is doing here 8 months later.... they gave me a month and at the absolute most, 2.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/3067488
I've never tried salmon. I'll see if he likes it. I figure I should at least keep the salt under control. Last night I made him fresh chicken with rice and carrots.
Can I come over and be your dog? I'll bring the fork and knife.:)
One of my friends has a basset with cancer. Sadly she's getting to the point where she falls down and can't get up. Poor little guy. btw who was your Vet in Corpus?

cranberry

If his cancer don't get him, his cholesterol will!
I went to Windsor Park Animal Hospital on South Staples just kind of down from H.E.B in Moore Plaza. But the guy I really liked, Dr.Posey moved to an emergency practice. If I was still there I would have left with him. Pigott was also very nice.

jaxfishgirl

This is such a heart breaking thread. I am so sorry you are going through this. We lost a mini schnauzer a few years ago to liver cancer and it was so hard. I completely know what you are going through. I know the sad eyes look & it is the hardest thing to see in your dog's eyes. They do hide their pain from you and it's so hard to have to make that decision. Take all the pictures and video while you have the time. You will definitely cherish those memories.

al mc

http:///forum/post/3227137
When he sleeps on his side he really struggles. When he sleeps on his belly with his head on his paws he sleeps better. Does that behaviour sound about right for the mediastinal?
Could he be hypoxic? I'm gonna steal an O2 tent from work.... LOL. he reminds me of someone with COPD.
Sounds mediastinal to me. I can't prescribe but i might consider seeing if your vet agrees that increasing the pred. is in order. You might also consider a bronchodilator...Aminophyline/Theophyline.
His PO2 probably is lower when he rests with this situation. Do his gums become a bit paler with exertion?

cranberry

I didn't know there was room left to increase the pred. I will definitely call them. But I don't want to.... I really have formed a displeasure for my vet. I was hoping to never go back to them with him. I have someone who will come to my house when the time comes to put him down. Emmy does not tolerate the vet.... I can't let his last moments be there.