Dosing Pickeling Lime w/Reactor

aquajon

yah i thought of wireing in a second timer to shut off the dosing pump, but i do not want to get it to complicated... i have all my stuff on order so next week the project begins.

spmnarciso

Good luck with it. My advice is to take your time. I cracked my first acrylic tube by not taking my time.

cincyreefer

Sorry I havn't read the whole thread to see if it has been stated, but is everyone testing their ro/di water before mixing it?

cincyreefer

Yes, the only way to get a reading of the theoretical Ca and alk levels is if the water is free of any ion, and if you can somehow get little to no CO2 in the water... like maybe supersaturating the water with O2 to near 200% O2 saturation. The other thing to mention is the accuracy of most aquarium tds meters. I have found them to be rather inaccurate and not the easiest to calibrate correctly. I recently compared a typical "cheaper" tds meter to my calibrated conductivity probe on my YSI 6920 and the YSI was reading a conductivity of nearly 38 and my tds meter was reading 0. I would imagine that could cause a decent sized precipitation of Ca which could be a reason for lower than expected values.

spmnarciso

Which way are you testing to get those numbers?
3ml of effluent straight from the reactor, and perform normal Ca Salifert Testing Procedure?

spmnarciso

That's the same way I did it. Thanks. I know you were having a tough time with it, so I'm glad you can clarify the issue for me. How often have you decided to mix it for?