Drinking Water?

blackjacktang

At safeway this company called Galcier (or something like that) has one of those water dispencers. They are selling it for 48 cents a gallon. And it is Drinking water. I was wondering if you can use drinking water in your tank. Thanks guys!

2quills

According to their website they are calling it advanced RO water. I would think it's safe enough for aquariums, yes. I would test it either way just to see what the TDS reads.

superman

I've been using water labeled 'Drinking Water' from my local grocery store for years now. It's the only water I've put in my tank and haven't had any negative results. The coral does great, the fish do great, and don't have any issues with it. The label just says filtered by Reverse Osmosis and/or deionization.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjacktang http:///forum/thread/383982/drinking-water#post_3361906
Air stones, heaters, etc??
If you're doing small water changes it isn't always necissary, but recommended. I mix my water for about 24 hours and by that time it's already room temp which is really close to the tank temp anyway and I do small water changes weekly so I don't bother heating it. But I do run a power head which mixes and aerates the new water, yes.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjacktang http:///forum/thread/383982/drinking-water#post_3361887
At safeway this company called Galcier (or something like that) has one of those water dispencers. They are selling it for 48 cents a gallon. And it is Drinking water. I was wondering if you can use drinking water in your tank. Thanks guys!
This should be the same kind of unit that they have at Walmart. Right? I have been using the Walmart RO water and I love it. But the grocery store me and the wife shop at has the Glacier unit as well, so I might try that. If you have a Walmart around you check them out because I pay around $.37/ gal for mine there.

saltfan

So, for this price, someone tell me why the hell I went out and bought a RO/DI then??? Man, thats cheap water. Oops, my bad, other than the fact that I change 55gallons out at a time.

florida joe

The drinking water at your local supermarkets is municipal water which has been further filtered, now depending how well their filtration system is working you need to determine by TDS testing as stated. The other water you can obtain at the stores is natural spring water which is not filtered municipal water but rather derives from natural springs,

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///forum/thread/383982/drinking-water#post_3362143
The drinking water at your local supermarkets is municipal water which has been further filtered, now depending how well their filtration system is working you need to determine by TDS testing as stated. The other water you can obtain at the stores is natural spring water which is not filtered municipal water but rather derives from natural springs,
If I recall correctly I believe Poland Springs water is derived directly from a 10" pipe off a municiple water supply.

florida joe

http://www.polandspringbornbetter.com/#/the_difference_between_poland_spring_and_home_filtered_water
i wonder if they are trying to pull a fast one

bang guy

Quote:
Several towns in Maine have objected to the business practices of Poland Spring and its parent company Nestlé. In some towns, such as Fryeburg, Maine, Poland Spring actually buys the water (110 million gallons of water from Fryeburg a year) from another company, the Fryeburg Water Co., and ships it to the Poland Spring bottling plant in Poland Spring.[sup][6] However, Fryeburg Water Co. also sells water to the town of Fryeburg.
Quote:
In June 2003, Poland Spring was sued for false advertising in a class action lawsuit charging that their water that supposedly comes from springs, is in fact heavily treated common ground water.[9][/sup] The suit also states, hydro-geologists hired by Nestlé found that another current source for Poland Spring water near the original site stands over a former trash and refuse dump, and below an illegal disposal site where human sewage was sprayed as fertilizer for many years.