dsb in a nano??

kris

I will soon be embarking on my newest adventure--a 10 g nano garden (lots of different macro algae and maybe a seahorse) anyway as I have searched for info I found some do not believe a dsb is appropriate for the smaller tanks.
Can you guys tell me why?
I was told my home needs some plants, but I kill all my houseplants and my garden outside crashes every year, so I figured I't try sea plants--besides I know the cats won't eat them:p

aggie05

In a 10 gallon I would have a 2-3 inch sand bed. In my 10 I have about a 3 inch and I just started a 2.5 and have aobut a 2 inch in it. The DSB is also very beneficial to nanos. Email me and I will send you a link to a nano-specific board that will be a lot of help.

j21kickster

I fully believe of using a DSB in a nano- I have a 4" DSB in my 20 gallon and the water is perfect- You still get the benefits as you would in a larger system- Also that website is www.nano-reef.com i think its ok to list b/c it is just about nanos and the dont sell products- It is a good place but if you ask around there is a TON of info here as well- Im thinking about writing a Q&A article for this board to anwser many nano questions such as this-Also here is my 20 gallon

kris

Nice reef j2!!
It never occurred to me to use anything but a dsb until I did a search in our archives (for nano info) which turned a few debates on the issue.
Sammy this is a standard 10g, I don't actually even have the tank yet so I can't go measure. but I am very curious why the dsb would be detrimental in a small tank.

bang guy

Just an opinion based on experience.
I see no harm in a DSB in a 20 or a 10. I just don't see much benefit in having more than 1/2 - 1". I have noticed that sandbeds in smaller tanks (Beautiful Nano Kickster!!!) tend to quickly lose the critters that prefer open sand. These critters are needed to get water down deeper in the sand where the anoxic zone is.
1/2" of sand will support the worms and pods needed as detrivores and it's plenty of sand to act as a biologic filter for removing ammonia and Nitrite.
I suggest more frequent water changes and this should be no problem for a 10 gallon ;)
My $0.02
Guy