Dying Anemones

Steve F

Good morning , I have purchased for the first time two anemones for my newly started tank. When I brought them home they began put out a white discharge and shrunk up. Not sure what is going on I check my water and everything looks great but did not want them to die.

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
If the discharge is from the mouth, it's most likely the stomach contents. This can sometimes be a common reaction to environmental shock. If they are oozing from the foot. Get them out asap. That's a sign of decay and will foul your system very quickly.

Finding_Nem

Wow advice giving is not good. Many things could be going on. But first start out with how long your tank been setup. What is you water test reading. Your lights? And most important what kind of anemone?
Anemone do very bad in shipping. I say 50% survivor rate. Hardy ones will do better. Condy, rock anemone etc. what you don’t want to see after a day is the mouth still gaping open. So more info is needed to better help. Good luck.

bang guy

for my newly started tank.
The new tank is the issue.

Give the Anemone to someone with an established tank or back to the store.

Once your tank has been established for a year or so and you have proper lighting and water flow you can try again.

L

Laikoo

The water environment anemones require is similar to coral reef. They are hard to survive in a new build tank.

J

Just_Poppy

I have a condy, and a green bta and 3 rock A's and the hardest one to please is the condy...
It took awhile for it to place its foot, while the gbt latched right on.... the rock ones latched on also and look like they are imbedded to the rock...
I waited 6 months before getting them though.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Just_Poppy

The new tank is the issue.

Give the Anemone to someone with an established tank or back to the store.

Once your tank has been established for a year or so and you have proper lighting and water flow you can try again.
I agree your tank needs more and different types of bacteria in it, that takes time for that to grow and obviously the other water parameters must be met also to have success. Patience is a major factor in reefing and everybody makes mistakes, so do research and ask questions.
I've been doing it for a long time and still research, ask questions and try different tactics, but most of all stability in the tank is probably the best advice I can give ya....