Dying refugium?

fulcrum

Here's the story:
I have two tanks. Living room tank: 110 gallon tall, 120 pounds of live rock, 5" live sand bed, 75 gallon three stage sump (middle part of the sump is a refugium with chaeto and a few mangroves, third stage is holds the skimmer and a return pump). Tank is relatively new (been running for about 2 months), but water chemistry is excellent.
The tank in the den is a 92 gal corner that has been up and running for 4 years now. Up until a month ago it was configured with 85 pounds of live rock, 4" sand bed, and a 20 gallon sump with nothing but a skimmer and a return pump. The back walls of the tank were covered in coralline, and water chemistry was always pretty good, but not excellent. The tank is pretty well stocked, but its been a stable population for over a year now.
1 blue hippo
2 firefish
1 yellow tang
2 mature false percs (a breeding pair)
1 flame angel
2 cleaner shrimp
I decided to make a refugium for the 92 gal corner, to see if i could improve water quality (like what i see in the new tank). I converted an old two stage sump into a two chamber refugium with 2" holes in the dividing wall to allow communicaiton between the sand and water on either side. I used live sand to create a 3" bed, plumbed it so that my tank overflow drains to the refugium and the refugium drains to the orignal sump with the skimmer and the return pump (essentially creating the same schematic arrangement of my new tank).
Both refugiums have 6700K lighting, although the fixture on the new tank is a 96 watt, and the new refudgium on the corner tank is only two 18 watt fixtures (for a total of 36 watts).
The refugium on the new living room tank is rocking and rolling. Chaeto grows very well, the mangroves are sprouting new leaves every week. water chemistry is good, coralline is really starting to spread in the display tank.
Here's the problem. I cant keep chaeto alive in the new reufgium for the corner tank. It slowly loses color over the course of a week, until its a very pale green. It doesnt grow.
I have seen refugiums flourish at a couple of LFS with these small 18 watt fixtures, and I am using 2 of them, but I'm starting to wonder wether I have enough light.
I have tried not running the skimmer to see if its taking too much plant nutrient out of the water, but it seems to have no effect. (I kept the skimmer off for a week, with no improvement in the looks of the chaeto.
I assume its missing light or nutrients. Obviously I'm missing something....what is it? Are some tanks incapable of supporting a refugium?

fulcrum

I have the the overflow from the tank going to the refugium, and then the water drains into my original sump, so whatever rate my return pump is going would be the total flow of the system.
The tank is fed by a mag 9.5. I do have a valve on the return pump to slow it down some, but its always been set like that because the pump is a little oversized for the overflow in the 92 corner.
No clue what the actual flow rate is. Does it sound like a poor waterflow issue? Would simply moving water aruond in the refugium help? I have a few spare powerheards.

fulcrum

On the skimmer issue: I read that some people dont use a skimmer if they have a refugium. So I figured it was a paramter I could easily change to see if it had any effect.

bang guy

A Mag 9.5 is going to be plenty of flow for a refugium so I no longer think waterflow is the problem. If the water isn't flowing around the algae then the algae will starve. With the amount of flow you listed there should be more than enough flow.
Try temporarily adding more light. Try a halogen floodlight, something like 65 watts. Not too close because of the heat but see if the extra light helps.
Is it possible that the water is already too clean to support macro algae?

fulcrum

I suppose its possible. Nitrates were always less than 20ppm, but never zero. On the occasion they would get to 50 I would do a big water change, but that was maybe every 6 months or less.
I will try a small powerhead in the fuge, just to see if improving water flow over the algae helps it pick up more nutrients. When I think about the configuration of the fuge, the alge may not be in a very high circulation area (laminar flow is probably greater near the surface of the water, and algae comes to rest an inch or more below the surface)
If I cant keep the macro alive I suppose it couldnt hurt just to keep the reufgium in line, and let the pods go nutty in the sand and lr rubble down there.
Overall it was a pretty healthy tank....and I'm beginning to wonder if I should have left well enough alone.

renogaw

i got the light that melev's reef suggests from some lightbulb store online. I at first thought my chaeto wasn't growing, but now i can see that it is. its like 5700k from a spiral PC in a floodlight glass, uses 20ish watts, but puts out equivalent of 120w i believe. may want to try more lighting if the flow doesnt work.