Easiest fishes

hook

started out with a picasso trigger once my tank completed cycling. Still got him. he survived the ick, and still has a cool little personality.

kidwicked

I don't really understand what people mean by getting more experience under their belts. I mean c'mon.. theres only so much you can do when running a fish tank... you set it up properly.. monitor it to a degree to make sure things are where they should be and thats all.
this isn't rocket science like many people try to make it out to be.

puffer32

Originally Posted by KidWicked
I don't really understand what people mean by getting more experience under their belts. I mean c'mon.. theres only so much you can do when running a fish tank... you set it up properly.. monitor it to a degree to make sure things are where they should be and thats all.
I disagree with you! An experienced fishkeeper learns what fish to put together according to aggression, tank size and water quality. They almost have a 6th sense when something is amiss in their community, and most important, how to fix it. Can't tell you how many times I have read a post from a beginner saying "I didin't know" An experienced keeper has been there, done that. Newbies often depend on LFS to give them advice on everything, thats their first mistake :scared:

cgrant

Originally Posted by puffer32
I disagree with you! An experienced fishkeeper learns what fish to put together according to aggression, tank size and water quality. They almost have a 6th sense when something is amiss in their community, and most important, how to fix it. Can't tell you how many times I have read a post from a beginner saying "I didin't know" An experienced keeper has been there, done that. Newbies often depend on LFS to give them advice on everything, thats their first mistake :scared:
Well put!

oceanists

Originally Posted by KidWicked

HA! What do you do when you PH is 9 your calcium is at 600 and your alk is WAY low
you have to not only do maintnence , but to a degree you need to know how to deal with water chemistry , If this hobby is so easy why are there about 20 questions a day on this board asking "how do I lower my nitrates" and that is the EASIEST thing to take care of. Not to mention you have to know what fish mix with what fish , what fish will eat inverts, What to feed when to feed, how to spot feed , what to spot feed? Do I need to add Iodine? How do I get rid of this cyano? How many watts per gallon does this need? What is the PAR on my lighting setup up? What should my supplement lighting be? How can I grow macro Algea? What starfish are suitable for my tank? How do I cure my fish of Ich? Brookynella? Pop Eye? Deflated Blatter? Fin Disease? When is OK to euthanize my fish? Why wont my coraline Spread? How do I frag corals? How can I tell if my fish is stressed? Why did my tank crash? Why wont my skimmer produce foam? Can I stop trying to maintin my tank and just wipe everything out with Chemi Clean? How do I rid myself of Hair Algea? Diatoms? How can I make my own Green Water? Rotifers? How can I breed my fish?Why is my water cloudy? Should I change from CC to LS? Why are my corals dying? annnnnnnnnnnd What is the MINIMUM tank size for (insert anything here)?????
I came up with all of that within a minute and a half , there is much much much more.
Smoke another one bro!

dogstar

Originally Posted by chilwil84
the easiest fish most freshwater over salt
yea, they can live in mud puddles, wait, They do live in mud puddles....

oceanists

Originally Posted by Dogstar
yea, they can live in mud puddles, wait, They do live in mud puddles....

especially bass , the stay in the nastiest, swampiest water

bsd230

actually spirulina enriched brine shimp gives them a lot of the nutrients they need. I have a foxface Lo that is very healthy with above and dried seaweed.

merredeth

Originally Posted by Oceanists
HA! What do you do when you PH is 9 your calcium is at 600 and your alk is WAY low
you have to not only do maintnence , but to a degree you need to know how to deal with water chemistry , If this hobby is so easy why are there about 20 questions a day on this board asking "how do I lower my nitrates" and that is the EASIEST thing to take care of. Not to mention you have to know what fish mix with what fish , what fish will eat inverts, What to feed when to feed, how to spot feed , what to spot feed? Do I need to add Iodine? How do I get rid of this cyano? How many watts per gallon does this need? What is the PAR on my lighting setup up? What should my supplement lighting be? How can I grow macro Algea? What starfish are suitable for my tank? How do I cure my fish of Ich? Brookynella? Pop Eye? Deflated Blatter? Fin Disease? When is OK to euthanize my fish? Why wont my coraline Spread? How do I frag corals? How can I tell if my fish is stressed? Why did my tank crash? Why wont my skimmer produce foam? Can I stop trying to maintin my tank and just wipe everything out with Chemi Clean? How do I rid myself of Hair Algea? Diatoms? How can I make my own Green Water? Rotifers? How can I breed my fish?Why is my water cloudy? Should I change from CC to LS? Why are my corals dying? annnnnnnnnnnd What is the MINIMUM tank size for (insert anything here)?????
I came up with all of that within a minute and a half , there is much much much more.
Smoke another one bro!
Slow down....
First off, all this is goes back to basic high school chemistry. Some people have to go back further to remember than others. Some people have a knack for sciences and can figure it out rather quickly while some are slower in learning all about saltwater issues.
Some people can grasp things easier than others. I know for a fact that my husband would never dream of trying to test water on the tanks - or for the pool and hot tub for that matter. Why?? Simply put - he knows his wife has a better understanding of sciences than he does. That doesn't mean he's an idiot because lord knows when it comes to wiring new constuction on our homes we built in the past HE was the genius - not me.
Whether you or others want to call this rocket science isn't the issue. It is science - pure and simple. Everyone has natural gifts. For some it is science that is easily understood and for some it is something they really have to work at to learn and grasp the concepts.
Yes, after awhile the sixth sense kicks in and you think 'perhaps I shouldn't do...." but give the newbies a break here.
We are going to deal with new people coming onto this board each and every day - that is why it is called a PUBLIC FORUM. We can either come on here and have patience with people and educate them with the words that we know or we can get into a pissing match about how 'hard' this hobby is. In the end does it really matter how 'hard' it is? If ten people want to know why their calcium is at 600 and their Ph is at 9, the people who do know the answers to their questions should respond with kindness and respect.
Telling someone to "go smoke another one..." isn't exactly an attitude that fosters people to want to become better fishkeepers. As a matter of fact, comments like that offend me and probably others here too. Not only does it show your immaturity, but it also makes people feel stupid, when in fact they are not stupid - they just don't know.
God has blessed each of us with a certain amount of expendable income to delve into this hobby - in essence God has also allowed us to be in charge of some of his many creatures - and we have a responsiblity as hobbyists to educate those that are just getting blessed with this opportunity to be good to the creatures that are available for our aquariums.
Oceanists, I've always respected your knowledge in the hobby but other off the cuff comments are hardly the type that make me want to give you personally the respect that one would deserve if they chose to write with the intellect I know you have.
I'm off my soapbox now. But it pisses me off when people disrespect others by using comments like "go smoke another one..."
Denise M.

merredeth

Originally Posted by kmc
***)
KMC: What was that all about? Waiting for the flaming of me to begin?

Denise M.

oceanists

Originally Posted by Merredeth
Slow down....
First off, all this is goes back to basic high school chemistry. Some people have to go back further to remember than others. Some people have a knack for sciences and can figure it out rather quickly while some are slower in learning all about saltwater issues.
Some people can grasp things easier than others. I know for a fact that my husband would never dream of trying to test water on the tanks - or for the pool and hot tub for that matter. Why?? Simply put - he knows his wife has a better understanding of sciences than he does. That doesn't mean he's an idiot because lord knows when it comes to wiring new constuction on our homes we built in the past HE was the genius - not me.
Whether you or others want to call this rocket science isn't the issue. It is science - pure and simple. Everyone has natural gifts. For some it is science that is easily understood and for some it is something they really have to work at to learn and grasp the concepts.
Yes, after awhile the sixth sense kicks in and you think 'perhaps I shouldn't do...." but give the newbies a break here.
We are going to deal with new people coming onto this board each and every day - that is why it is called a PUBLIC FORUM. We can either come on here and have patience with people and educate them with the words that we know or we can get into a pissing match about how 'hard' this hobby is. In the end does it really matter how 'hard' it is? If ten people want to know why their calcium is at 600 and their Ph is at 9, the people who do know the answers to their questions should respond with kindness and respect.
Telling someone to "go smoke another one..." isn't exactly an attitude that fosters people to want to become better fishkeepers. As a matter of fact, comments like that offend me and probably others here too. Not only does it show your immaturity, but it also makes people feel stupid, when in fact they are not stupid - they just don't know.
God has blessed each of us with a certain amount of expendable income to delve into this hobby - in essence God has also allowed us to be in charge of some of his many creatures - and we have a responsiblity as hobbyists to educate those that are just getting blessed with this opportunity to be good to the creatures that are available for our aquariums.
Oceanists, I've always respected your knowledge in the hobby but other off the cuff comments are hardly the type that make me want to give you personally the respect that one would deserve if they chose to write with the intellect I know you have.
I'm off my soapbox now. But it pisses me off when people disrespect others by using comments like "go smoke another one..."
Denise M.

I think you misunderstood me, and the go smoke another one comment.
I was not bashing the newbies personally I like to help and answer questions, Im simply stating that if this hobby is so easy, why do these questions always come up, Newbie or not.
It wasnt directed at anybody, and was more of a joke towards KidWicked than a shot at him. I understand that things are easier for some people than others. But you have to be honest this is a hard hobby and this is the reason why most stores dont guarantee their saltwater fish or corals.
It is also a hard hobby to understand, and for somebody to just come and say this is an easy hobby , maybe they havent experienced the worst of it yet.
Im not making myself out to be a know it all because that deffinatly is not the case.
But if your looking to call something easy then do it with freshwater.
You also state that my comments could make someboidy feel stupid (which wasnt my intention) .... but on the other hand , saying that this hobby is easy can make somebody feel REALLY stupid.
Sorry to offend you , that was my intention at all. JMO
Now that I have wasted my work lunch on defending my post because it was taken out of context , ill go back to work

kingfisher

hello, im really new to the salt scene, so im researching for a possible tank in about 1 year (enough time to research basics) and thought i would thow out some i deas before i do something relyy stupid!!! now what about the following ideas for a starter 1st timmer setup????
All-Glass brand ELITE 55 Gallon Freshwater Deluxe Aquarium Kit (convert to salt use)

* 2 - 24” Flourescant Full Hood with Bulbs
* AquaClear Power Filter 70
* AquaClear Foam, Carbon and BioMax
* 200 Watt Heater
* Aquarium Net Adhesive Thermometer
* Aquarium Kit Instructions
* Nutrafin AquaPlus Water Conditioner (1 fl oz)
* Nutrafin Max Complete Flake Food (1 oz)
* Dimension: 48” x 13” x 20”
with the following fish: ( 1 of each)
blue chromis
blue/yellow chromis
blue/green chromis
ocellaris clown (black/white)
percula clown ("nemo" from finding nemo)
questions?????
1. do i have to use/have live sand of live rock???
2. using filter listed above how long before tank is cycled (safe for fish)????
ANY ADDITIONAL ADVISE IS GREATLY APRECIATED, THANX, ALL OF YOUR NEWBIE SECTIONS HAVE BEEN AN INVALUABLE GOLDMINE OF INFO, THANX AGAIN FOR ALL WHO HELP!!!!

rbrockm1

go with the blue chromis. what other type of sand or base you going to use. Everybody will agree with me you should use LS. you don't need LR but it helps. It will take a couple of weeks for the cycle.

kingfisher

thnank you, so the setup i found will work ok??? and did u mean start with just the blue chromis or dont bother with the other chromis types? what about the clowns? any tweaks or adjustments to the equip etc...?

rbrockm1

if you have not cycled yet only fish i recommend putting in there is a damsels and then remove it when ready to put in your other fish. we don't want any unneeded deaths

kingfisher

as i posted before about the tank kit, i found the same kit but a different version by the same company, it features a wisper series filter, instead of a aquaclear series filter, which is better??? and i also found 2 different testers, both suction to the inside of the tank underwater, and last 4-6 weeks and take cotinuous tank readings, one is for Ph and the other tests amonia, are these reliable or dont bother with them????

garnet13aj

I wouldn't use damsels to cycle, it's not fair for them to be put ina poisenous environment just because they will survive it doesn't mean they will thrive. And I'm not exactly sure but Clowns of the same species cannot be mixed so you should check out whether the ocellaris clown (black/white) and the percula clown can be mixed I'm not sure