Ecotech MP10 noise

sng

Yes this is a new purchase a few days old, its generation 2. Talked to Ecotech people they told me to have it running for 2 weeks. Hopefully it goes away, I don't see why im spending over $200 for a power head that makes such a loud noise. I also don't justified why I am supposed to pay for the shipping to ship this pump to them, when out of the box it came faulty.

btldreef

Wow, that's a terrible answer from EcoTech. Their customer service is so much better than that.
I hate to say it, but I doubt two weeks is going to make a difference here. Being that it's a new pump, I'm going to say that it's probably not properly aligned. That being said, I'd call them back up, tell them it's gotten worse instead of better and ask that they send you a new pump. Just gently remind them that public forums are a wonderful way of sharing your customer experience....
What size tank is this on and how thick is the glass?
What setting is it on?

sng

Its a Truvu Cube 24x24x24. 60 gallon.
Its aligned, i tried many positions and the same exact noise! I'll shoot that guy a email again.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sng http:///t/390353/ecotech-mp10-noise/20#post_3457092
Its a Truvu Cube 24x24x24. 60 gallon.
Its aligned, i tried many positions and the same exact noise! I'll shoot that guy a email again.
Nice little tank! These are acrylic tanks right? Not glass? What is the thickness? Are you using the little gasket that came with it?
I'm wondering if your acrylic is too think. After I went back and listened to the video again knowing that Truvu's are usually acrylic, that's exactly what popped into my head: the tank is too thick for the MP10.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sng http:///t/390353/ecotech-mp10-noise/20#post_3457066
Yes this is a new purchase a few days old, its generation 2. Talked to Ecotech people they told me to have it running for 2 weeks. Hopefully it goes away, I don't see why im spending over $200 for a power head that makes such a loud noise. I also don't justified why I am supposed to pay for the shipping to ship this pump to them, when out of the box it came faulty.
Exactly........
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///t/390353/ecotech-mp10-noise/20#post_3457081
Wow, that's a terrible answer from EcoTech. Their customer service is so much better than that.
I hate to say it, but I doubt two weeks is going to make a difference here. Being that it's a new pump, I'm going to say that it's probably not properly aligned. That being said, I'd call them back up, tell them it's gotten worse instead of better and ask that they send you a new pump. Just gently remind them that public forums are a wonderful way of sharing your customer experience....
What size tank is this on and how thick is the glass?
What setting is it on?
Their customer service isn't all that.......I never got a response on my MP60......
As long as the acrylic thickness isn't over an 1/2" should be fine......

2quills

Shawn, I think they just need to make an mp80 for you lol. Mr. 1", thick tank.
I think the O.P.'s tank is 10mm or 3/8" thickness. Does that work for the mp10's?

meowzer

LOL......my tank is about 1/2 " and the MP10 would not hold on it....as a matter of fact even the MP40's are not real solidly held together :(

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/390353/ecotech-mp10-noise/20#post_3457261
Shawn, I think they just need to make an mp80 for you lol. Mr. 1", thick tank.
I think the O.P.'s tank is 10mm or 3/8" thickness. Does that work for the mp10's?
3/8" is the cut off for thickness for the MP10 if you go by EcoTech standards for thickness. However, a lot of people have luck with thicker if it's glass. There have been some complaints that the magnet strength is weakened more by acrylic than glass. I have never had an acrylic tank, so I've never tested it out myself. I have an MP10 on the back painted wall of my 180 and it hasn't moved in over 6 months, so I've been one of the lucky ones. I will say that the sound on that video sounds exactly like a MP that is not aligned. While the OP might have it completely lined up, if the thickness is too much for it, it won't be fully aligned.

acrylic51

I think looking back at the specs it was 0.375 for the MP10's....I would assume or hoping the tank is 1/2" acrylic.......
Honestly Corey 2 of my MP60's stick together well without properly mounting.....(knock on wood).....The new 1 I had replaced I haven't taken out of the box yet......1" acrylic is definitely pushing the MP60's to their limits.......I don't like to skimp on material or second guess better judgement on builds. I'm just not sold on their "fabulous" customer service.....When anyone shells out that kind of cash for your product they at least deserve an answer be it jump of the nearest cliff or whatever.....They didn't win any points with me. They did however seal the deal that I won't buy their LEDs......
It all comes down to quality control and it seems a lot of companies are lacking that lately.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/390353/ecotech-mp10-noise/20#post_3457266
I think looking back at the specs it was 0.375 for the MP10's....I would assume or hoping the tank is 1/2" acrylic.......
Honestly Corey 2 of my MP60's stick together well without properly mounting.....(knock on wood).....The new 1 I had replaced I haven't taken out of the box yet......1" acrylic is definitely pushing the MP60's to their limits.......I don't like to skimp on material or second guess better judgement on builds. I'm just not sold on their "fabulous" customer service.....When anyone shells out that kind of cash for your product they at least deserve an answer be it jump of the nearest cliff or whatever.....They didn't win any points with me. They did however seal the deal that I won't buy their LEDs......
It all comes down to quality control and it seems a lot of companies are lacking that lately.
I'm hearing a lot of complaints about the LEDs from locals.
Did you ever try and call them or just do it through email? They're usually pretty good about answer questions over the phone and via their forum on RC.

acrylic51

Email.....My schedule is way to hectic driving for UPS, so phone calls during the daytime are out of the question.....Email I can "paper trail" them....Oh and on RC.....Heaven forbid you post problems on their forum....They want it behind the scenes......BS!!!!!!!!!! My issue and off topic when you drop $2200 a shot on some PH's......They better be perfect........

btldreef

I hear that!
Some locals have the LEDs and complain about bulbs burning out, colors being off (which can be argued is personal preference), etc. Most locals that have them are not happy with them.

ibew41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/390353/ecotech-mp10-noise/20#post_3457278
I hear that!
Some locals have the LEDs and complain about bulbs burning out, colors being off (which can be argued is personal preference), etc. Most locals that have them are not happy with them.
is the led burning out a large percentage?I have the radions after replacing AI sol which replaced T5s,and our lfs sell them almost as fast as they come in.our local club alone has 16 people that have them and only one person had an issue and it was the cord that plugs into the power supply.The only problem I have is taking pics with leds on the tank

sng

Just an update, Ecotech tech support has been great! Got my replacement parts (Dry side and Wet side) the noise is reduced, but there is a slight vibration noise which is still annoying. 2 days ago the control unit where you set the setting crap out on me! Not sure if its just me, but this has been a very bad experience with Ecotech product. I lost two SPS frags due to no flow cause of the crap out of the controller. Still waiting for Ecotech to send me a response on the control unit problem (wouldnt turn on).

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by sng http:///t/390353/ecotech-mp10-noise/20#post_3465686
Just an update, Ecotech tech support has been great! Got my replacement parts (Dry side and Wet side) the noise is reduced, but there is a slight vibration noise which is still annoying. 2 days ago the control unit where you set the setting crap out on me! Not sure if its just me, but this has been a very bad experience with Ecotech product. I lost two SPS frags due to no flow cause of the crap out of the controller. Still waiting for Ecotech to send me a response on the control unit problem (wouldnt turn on).
wow, what a huge waste of time dealing with all that crap. Sorry to hear of the troubles but I'm sure you're not alone.

sng

Yea the best part two of my sps frags are starting to die due to the flow =/
I told them yesterday that I need to get this pump running, they had me send a picture of the circuit board of the controller... I dont know why they will need pictures, but I sent it to them to find out they were closed so I will have to wait until monday until I get a response and another few days for them to send me a new controller. This is a pain, im most likely going to buy a reliable pump later today so my other sps corals won't die.

acrylic51

I'm curious if their looking for water damage inside the controller itself.....Not saying there is, but what else would they honestly tell from a pic......I myself aren't a huge fan of EcoTech's customer service.....

btldreef

That's crazy. I've never had any issues with my EcoTechs and I have 6 units in total, old and new controllers, eco smart wireless, and regulars, and they're all great.
As I mentioned earlier, that slight vibration noise might never go away due to the thickness of your tank and it being acrylic.
Good luck!