elegance coral

denis

hello anyone with success with elegance coral? been doing some research and some sites say they are hard to keep alive. would be in 180 g reef, 1200 mh light, all water para in range.

meowzer

WELL....I had a beautiful elegance coral....had like 6 mouths (whatever)...brought it home, put it in my 225G, it got sand on it...moved it to the 54G...I believe it was too irritated by then....I had it 2 weeks max.....:(

veni vidi vici

From my experience Indo-Pacific Elegance corals are hard to keep,very delicate corals.Mine did fine for a while until the day when my GBM decided to start nipping at it. I moved it close to where my GBM was living and within a couple of days brown jelly started to form it swelled and denigrated.However i have heard people having success with Aussies.
Good Luck

meowzer

Originally Posted by denis
http:///forum/post/3198847
on the fence wondering if the purchase is sound.
Have you already purchased it?
How old is your tank? What else is in it? I think they need established tanks too (mine was, but the sand sifter poured sand on it)

denis

not purchased yet running for 2 years frogspawn fox coral many polyps and shrums 2 clowns 3 tangs sail yellow kole and blue hippo 6 chromi

meowzer

Well it doesn't sound like you have anything that would bother it....
IDK...they are beautiful....Although after my $75 trial...:( I don't think I would chance it again

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3198871
Well it doesn't sound like you have anything that would bother it....
IDK...they are beautiful....Although after my $75 trial...:( I don't think I would chance it again
I dont know this to be positive,but from what i understand even clowns hosting a elegance can kill it.
Just something to consider.

gill again68

My LFS guy told me he wouldnt sell me one if I wanted it. Of course my system is to young but I was inquiring for later purchases. He had priced the one at his store for $140.00. Was about as big as your fist. Really nice. He has managed to keep it for 6 mths I think he said. I think he said it was an Aussie. Still he said I should steer clear. I said thank you sir.

gc1962

I have had one for a little over a year and a half now and it is still going strong. I have it on the sand in a low flow area of the tank and it seems to like it.

coco worm

well i had an elagance for a little over a year and it was the size of my head. but it died
beacuse my lighting was not strong enough, but know i am waiting for my lfs to get one that size again now that i have upgraded my lighting

heide264

Never heard good things about them. No personal first hand experience.
I know both the Pittsburgh zoo aquarium (PPG aquarium) and my LFS can't seem to keep them alive for more any more than a month. Could have just been bad luck.
I would just go buy two other corals instead. You'd probably be much happier considering they'd add a lot of variation to your tank compared to the price of the elegance, and they'd almost certainly be more hardy. Grab something that you can split easily and trade back in for others =).
My $.02.

stanlalee

australian do well. indo pacific do poorly. as simple as that (make sure its australian). the Drs often have them in DD.

ophiura

Eric Borneman has done a lot of research on them. YOu may wish to google him and elegance coral. If I recall, they are actually thought to not do well in our "pristine" intensely lit tanks. But there also appears to be a disease that could be an issue as well. It has been some time since I read about them so I may not recall correctly.
All in all, many experts have tried, and in recent years, have not faired well as a general rule with some forms.