eletricution

R

rkhlk

First of all let me say I FEEL VERY BAD ABOUT THIS!! about a week ago i was doing some work in my tank when i noticed my tank heater had come loose from the glass (suction cups lost suction). I pushed the heater back on and went about my business. A few hours later after lights had went off i was sitting at my desk when i noticed a huge flash of light go across my tank. Aparentley I broke the heater glass tube when I pushed it back into place. I unplugged everything and found out what had happened and removed broken heater. The next day all inverts were dead except one hermit crab. I lost about six hermit crabs, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 coral banded shrimp, and about 6 snails, and have not seen any brsistle worms moving around at all ( I used to have alot). I don't know what else I might have lost (small feather dusters on rocks). I just puchased the small reef package from SWF to replenish my cleanup crew. But still this is horrible. All fish are fine (Percula clown, Blue damsel, Clarki Clown, and 4 Striped Damsel). This stinks.

granny

It does, but it could have been so much worse!! Bristle worms will return-I dont like them anyway-shrimp are plentiful, so you havent depleted any rare species-same for other critters. Thank goodness your fish and YOU are ok-You could have been electroculed yourself-Now THAT would have STUNK!

A

anothrname

you are lucky it didnt happen when u reached in to push it back against the glass!!!
it probably got cracked against a rock when it came loose, and consider yourself blessed!

R

rkhlk

does anyone think this might have any effect on my live rock?

symon

I would give it some time and watch water levels, look for ammonia spikes! That could cause a whole new cycle, I am thinking! Sorry to hear about your experiance! Made me check mine out, But i have a titanum ( unbreakable)

pfitz44

Tending to agree with Symon on this... because of the large die off....
Have lots of water ready incase the ammonia comes back up. Whats left for inhabs?

jakebtc

had this happen 2 times in my wet dry when i couldnt have my tank at my house. so my grandparents let me set it up at thier house for a couple months till i moved. the constant water level dropping in it from evap made the glass weak and evetually it just got too hot and exploded almst burned the house down . Next heater i get will be titanium but for now i just keep the heater behind live rock in the tank and have a auto top off system and a HOUSE so i can have my own aquarium w/o anyone sayin

[hr]

R

rkhlk

at the time this happened I have 1 blue damsel, 1 four striped damsel, 1 royal gramma, 1clarki clown, 1 percula clown, and 1 lucky crab. About 35 lbs of live rock. I ordered the smallest cleanup crew from SWF and just got an email that they are sitting at my front door when i get home. this had happened about two weeks ago and this past weekend i removed the cc from my tank and put in live sand. along with a nice water change. But is my live rock dead or will it show signs of life again?

rusting

Sorry for your loss. This also happend to me. I did't lose anything, but it sure stressed them out. I bought a plastic heater for about 30.00 bucks. I hope everything works out for you.