eliminating aiptasia

joshradio

Long story short, my system has been neglected and I have aiptasia growth EVERYWHERE... beyond the help of Joes Juice... trust me, 8 bottles later and they are still everywhere...
Would a scrub down and 48 hour fresh water soak of my live rock eliminate everything enough to reuse in a new tank?

wangotango

Try peppermint shrimp. Killing the rock is a little extreme and should only be a last resort.
-Justin

janastasio

I have the same problem in my tank right now as well, although I am not willing to sacrifice my live rock! I was researching online and found these aiptasia eating nudibranches, which I am strongly considering. I realize once the aiptasia is gone, so will their food source, so I figure instead of the coral blind thermos swap it could be a thermos nudibranch swap! Just kidding on the swap part at least!

ninjamini

I hade a few of these and some corn anemonees too. I used Kalkwasser powder mixed with water. I used the plastic measurer (it is used to measure .5ml water) that came with one of the test kits. Put it right up to its mouth and slowly squirt out the kalk. It closes up around the tip and bingo! I've got ya. Keep going till its empty.
Now be warned doing this in the tank can get calk everywhere. IT tends to float around. Here is some tips:
1. Shut off the flow. Last thing you need is water flow pushing the kalk over to your candycane coral.
2. Be ready with airline tubing. I create a syphin with the tubing to suckup the peices of kalk that float away. This can take awhile. It does make a mess.
3. Be ready with some fresh salt water to replace the water you syphon off.
4. rinse-repeat. If you got them you will get them again. Thats why they are the pest that they are. Have fun - You didn't think that keeping a salt water tank was going to be easy!

aquaknight

Originally Posted by JoshRadio
http:///forum/post/2899395
Would a scrub down and 48 hour fresh water soak of my live rock eliminate everything enough to reuse in a new tank?
No. I've had aiptasia live for about a week in hypo in QT, after
living through a full 3 week copper treatment. Would have to be an extended FW soak, or take the rock out and let it dry, either way you're going to have completely dead rock that will need to be recured.

natclanwy

Originally Posted by JoshRadio
http:///forum/post/2899395
Long story short, my system has been neglected and I have aiptasia growth EVERYWHERE... beyond the help of Joes Juice... trust me, 8 bottles later and they are still everywhere...
Everything on your rock will die before the aiptasia will they are tough, I have had them survive in a bucket of fresh water for a few days.
The nudibranchs are only a good choice if you don't have anything that preys on them like shrimp, large crabs, certain fish. Also it will take a few weeks to months to clear the aiptasia from your tank depending on how many you start with.
Save your money and make your own Joe's juice out of Mrs Wages pickling lime and boiling salt water, and don't get discouraged. I had aiptasia on every square centimeter of my tank and 50lbs of live rock. You couldn't even see the live rock though the aiptasia and I killed it 99% with kalkwasser (DIY Joe's Juice). The trick I found for getting ahead of it was to treat as many as you can at one time without killing everything else in your tank. I would treat an entire rock at once and I would do that every day until I got through all of the rock then I switched to once a week now I am down to once a month for the last few that are difficult to reach. I have used as much as 25ml in one dose but keep in mind this was a last ditch effort to eradicate the aiptasia I did have several corals, fish, and a clam in my tank all of which survived but use this method at your own risk.

pallan

pepermint shrimp have always worked for me. bought 5 from SWF.com and i was rather dissapointed in the tiny little things i recieved but put them in the tank expecting them to just be food and they went to work and slowly i started seeing less and less aipstasia. now i dont see any. i hunted last night trying to find the peppermints because i never see them and i found three rather large peppermints hunting the tank at night. they are all grown up now. there was aipstasia on almost every rock i tried kalk, and joes juice but there are always some beind the rock you can never reach. pepermints go in and get them all.
i bought 5 for a 75 gallon with 75+/- pounds of rock.

joshradio

if my newborn is down when I get home, I'll upload pics of what I'm facing... thx for all the input! Someone else recommended clearing one or two rocks and boiling the rest and then allowing them to re-seed with the ones I salvaged... so we'll see... pics to follow shortly!

spanko

Quote from
Wet Web Media;
Eradication:
Physical Removal:
Good luck here, these tissue-grade animals have a few tricks up their... tentacles. Try to rip, cut, pinch or siphon them out? They’re attached, and able to quickly withdraw, often into a tiny cranny. You remove most of the polyp... and the bit left regenerates into another (or a few) anemone! Nonetheless, with large infestations, a first line of offense is to physically extract as much of them as possible... I’d either do this with a siphon or remove the rock they’re attached to for scrubbing under a sink of running freshwater... you’ll only help the Aiptasia to asexually reproduce in your system by breaking it up and spreading it around there.
My fave siphon attachment tool for sucking a high percentage of Glass Anemone tissues out is a piece of rigid tubing with a narrowed tip, attached to a larger diameter vacuum hose.
Predators:
Thankfully there is a whole spectrum of animals that eat Glass anemones to some extent (what do you expect with such a bountiful natural supply?). These can/should be considered on the basis of their utility per your application, specificity of diet (some are errant nibblers on other sedentary invertebrates), and likely survivability (whether they live in captivity or no).
Elegance et al. Corals:
In the "who’s a better stinger" contest, the Meat/Elegance Coral (Catalaphyllia jardinei) rank near the top, higher even, than the Glass Anemones. If you could keep these mostly reef-system incompatible Caryophyllids alive and were willing to risk moving them about to sting your Aiptasia (but not other animals), your pest control problems would be over. FWIW, Hydnophora corals are also better stingers than Aiptasia as well.
Nudibranchs,
Most popular is the little, almost invisible Berghia verrucicornis, are great obligate (this is all they eat) Aiptasia destroyers... do remember to "pass your specimen(s) on" a few weeks after your Glass Anemones are apparently gone. Otherwise the Berghia will perish from lack of food.
Hermit Crabs;
Perhaps the best (cheapest, most readily available, easiest to track and remove...) Aiptasia nemesis are a few Hermit Crabs. In particular the more common "Red Legged ("Hairy") Hermit Crab, Dardanus megistos is an almost-all-the-time reef-safe animal that also eats pest algae. One or two to a tank is all it takes.
Shrimp, especially the Peppermint Shrimp, Lysmata wurdemanni can be a great Aiptasia muncher. Be aware that there is some confusion in the trade re this species and other Lysmata that are no good as designated Aiptasia munchers.
Fishes:
Most celebrated is the Copperband Butterflyfish, Chelmon rostrata... now, if you can only find one in good shape to start with... and get it to not sample your living corals... A hardier choice in butterflies is the Raccoon, Chaetodon lunula... which generally will eat in captivity... but also is not above trying your corals, featherduster worms... If you use one of these fishes, you must keep your eyes on your other livestock. Other chaetodonts that have been cited as effective Aiptasia eaters include the Long-nosed Butterflyfishes (genus Forcipiger), Klein’s (Chaetodon kleinii), the Threadfin (C. auriga) and Tear Drop (C. unimaculata). Once again, be careful here... not all specimens will eat Aiptasia, and definitely not all will JUST eat Aiptasia.
Puffers of various sorts have made the Aiptasia hit lists of other authors. The Guinea Fowl (Arothron meleagris) gets HUGE, but I bet it would eat Aiptasia, along with everything else in your system. The Tobies, or Sharp-Nosed puffers, sub-family Canthigastrinae might be better, but they do would go roving for other food.
Some of the larger marine Angelfishes will eat Aiptasia for sure. The Queen (Holacanthus ciliaris) and some of the Dwarfs of the genus Centropyge have been cited.
In Europe, many aquarists utilize Scats (family Scatophagidae) to eat Aiptasia (and algae). These fishes are mostly sold as brackish aquarium animals in the west, and must be slowly (over a period of weeks) acclimated (back) to full saltwater concentration.

spanko

cont'd
Chemical Means...
A few are touted, but these should be your option of last resort... most of these are outright biocides (killers of all living things), to non-effective... If you stoop to chemical means, be prepared to make large water changes to save your livestock from poisoning.
Strong Bases; caustic chemicals like Calcium or Sodium Hydroxide (the former is "Kalkwasser", the latter the principal ingredient in oven cleaners) can be applied directly to the Aiptasia... in dry or concentrated liquid form... use gloves and forceps for the former, a sturdy pipette or hypodermic syringe for the latter... Given the choice, go with the Ca(OH)2.
Hot Sauce to the Great Unknown: Some folks are hawking other "novel" (this is a kind word!) materials to wipe out Glass Anemones, or make them go "dormant"... injected (good luck) to simply poured in. I’ve yet to see any credible evidence that these work on a consistent basis.
Other chemical approaches detailed in the literature include blasting the Aiptasia with concentrated salt mix, hot water, hot hydrogen peroxide... to dangerous chemicals like hydrochloric and acetic acids, copper compounds, even copper wire... don’t even think about using these.
Control Help: Though it won’t get rid of your Aiptasia, keeping your system clean and low in metabolites (nitrates, phosphates) will cut down on their growth and proliferation.

ninjamini

Wait hot sauce? apple juice? poison? Why would you want to introduce something into your tank thats weird.
Nudibranch? fish? why get an animal that you dont want.
These are easier to eradicate than you think. Calk kills them. Calcium is good for the tank. Other than an alk spike there are no ill effects. All the bio diversity survives. all the little critters are ok. If you are having this issue the tank must be on the young side and you should not have a lot of delicate corals that can not survive the alk changes.
Save your money on all those fancy chemicals. Dont put weird things into your tank. Dont buy a critter you dont really want. It reminds me of an old song:
There was an old reefer who swallowed some aptasia that wiggles and giggled and tickeled inside of her.
She swallowed some vodka to kill the aptasia.
She swallowed a shrimp to drink the vodka.
She swallowed some hot sauce to season the shrimp.
She swallowed a fish to eat the shrimp.
I guess she's die.
Originally Posted by ninjamini
http:///forum/post/2899820
I hade a few of these and some corn anemonees too. I used Kalkwasser powder mixed with water. I used the plastic measurer (it is used to measure .5ml water) that came with one of the test kits. Put it right up to its mouth and slowly squirt out the kalk. It closes up around the tip and bingo! I've got ya. Keep going till its empty.
Now be warned doing this in the tank can get calk everywhere. IT tends to float around. Here is some tips:
1. Shut off the flow. Last thing you need is water flow pushing the kalk over to your candycane coral.
2. Be ready with airline tubing. I create a syphin with the tubing to suckup the peices of kalk that float away. This can take awhile. It does make a mess.
3. Be ready with some fresh salt water to replace the water you syphon off.
4. rinse-repeat. If you got them you will get them again. Thats why they are the pest that they are. Have fun - You didn't think that keeping a salt water tank was going to be easy!

morval

which ever method you use be sure to clean them out of your sump/fliters aptasia will live in the darkest places in you tank and continue to multiply after you think you have got rid of them all

natclanwy

Here is a pic of my tank a couple years ago right after an entire bottle of Joe's Juice was used, all of the white patches are treated aiptasia. My tank is a room divider so you are only seeing half of the anemones and my outbreak got much worste than this before I got it under control.

Here is a shot from not quite a year ago after I got the aiptasia under control

joshradio

OK... here's some shots of my aiptasia farm... now keep in mind, I've been treating with Joe's for about 6 weeks now, and this is what it looks like so far...

...I know it doesnt look like much but this is AFTER 6 WEEKS of treatment...aka thinned out...

jackri

The way I would go is with the kalk solution.
Copperband butterflys can be a good eater.. but if you don't want the fish in there why get it?
Pepperming shrimp can work and do for some people... I've just never had any luck with my 4 but I've only got one aiptasia... and a year later still only one so maybe they just stopped the spread. I haven't nuked it with a kalk solution because I forget about it alot being only one and in a place I really don't see it but I should just to get rid of it.

saltfan

Copper Banded Butterfly fish. They will eat those babies, and contrary to common belief are not hard to keep.

natclanwy

Those aiptasia are too large for peppermints to take care of.
Copperbands aren't hard to keep just hard to find one that will eat prepared foods, and many will stop eating at some point for whatever reason and starve to death.