Emergency.. Mantis Question

scarybo

Tank was upgraded from a 29 gal about six months ago. Never have lost a fish even during minor ick outbreak. Last night I woke up and heard a clicking noise. Not too loud, but I had never heard it before. I got a flashlight, but I couldnt find anything unusual after looking for an hour. I have a small reef lobster, peppermint shrimp, and a small crab that never bothers anything. I was worried that I might have a Mantis. I dont think so because I have never lost anything. I do lose some snails from time to time, but I cant keep track because I also see small new ones. Could a Mantis appear after almost a year. Wouldnt I have lost some of my smaller fish like my blenny or firefish?

sskram

sounds like you have a mantis. I had a couple yrs ago. I think they eat snails. I dont think I lost fish, but I might have lost some blenies or gobies. Be careful as they can leave a mark. The only way I got mine out was by removing the rock that they were in. I was lucky, once one swam to a rock on the top of the tank, and that was the end of that! They do have babys though,so watch out!

scarybo

That's what I'm afraid of. I dont want to take my tank down. Everything is finally stable and growing. I have no ideal what rock it could be in. I have never seen a trace of a Mantis. Even the snail I lost are just empty shells. I thought they would smash the shells. Is there any way I can really be sure before I disturb the tank.

michelle13

It could also be a pistol shrimp. They click too but are harmless. You can do a search on the web or the board to bring up articles and pics on the differences between a pistol and a mantis.

scarybo

I thought about a pistol shrimp also since no fish loss and the lobster and crab are okay. I just wanted someone else to say. Thanks Michelle and Bang for giving me some hope...

michelle13

No problem! Did you figure out which one you have? I have one in my tank too, but haven't been able to determine if it's a mantis or pistol. I thought about trying to trap it just to see what it is!:)

scarybo

I'm still at work.. getting ready to leave now and see what I find. Last night was the first time I heard anything so hopefully I can see something. Spent an hour at 4am looking in the tank with no luck.

scarybo

Nothing...Got home today. Found a few holes in live rock. Of course it would be in my base rock in the back. Placed a silverside by the whole, nothing took the bait. Looked around after lights out ..found out where my lobster hides, found alot of worms and life on my rock(yipee!) , my peppermint, but no mantis or pistol. Now I'm wondering if it was those $#@% rios on my wavemaker. Back to work looking at the tank.

rsd

Just to let you know... late at night my tanks would start clicking as well... I traced it down to the rather large hermit crab I have that likes to bang around. I didn't realize he did it all day until I freaked out one night in a very quiet house. Now I realize he does it all day... I just never "heard" him.
Good luck.