Enough Light For Anemone?

bacffin

I have a 45 gallon tall that has been up and running for about 9 months. The height is 24" and I am using a coralife pc with 192 watts. Is that enough light to support an anemone? Do some species have different light requirements? My kids are looking for a clown and anemone and I am not sure if this will work. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bruce

bang guy

Do you have any corals?
An RBTA would probably work but it will occationally wander and destroy corals.

bacffin

Nope, no corals, just fish, inverts and about 60lbs of live rock. I think I have some aptasia (sp?) growing in the crevasses of the live rock, so that is why I was asking about species. If that is capable of living in there, I assume others might too.
RBTA? Is that short for red bubble tip anemone? Time for some home work on these creatures

Thanks,
Bruce

T

thomas712

I would agree that a BTA might work, however I would have rockwork up above the 1/2 way mark of the tank so that it could climb up for more lighting.

bang guy

I want to add a disclaimer on my picture. I do not recommend having more than 2 Clownfish in a tank. This family is in my lagoon so when they get kicked out of the Anemone they will have plenty of places to live far from the parents.

bacffin

Wow Bang that must be an awesome sight to witness.
Thanks for the pic. Does this species like rock more than sand? I was just reading Thomas's thread on selection and health and wanted to see a healthy one before I stop at the lfs to see some.
I only planned on 1 clownfish to begin with.
Thanks,
Bruce

thegrog

Originally Posted by Bacffin
Would you have a pic of a RBTA?
Here is my 3 year old RBTA.
The tenticals have gotten really long over the years. It is under 20,000K MH lights.

T

thomas712

Well of course I have to add one of mine, take your pic!

viper_930

Here's a pic of mine.

Notice how close the RBTA is to various other corals and the clam. IME with my two RBTAs, I've never lost any coral to anemone stings, though I know it's happened to other people.

bacffin

Hey guy's
Are these all the same species from the Entacmaea genre? :notsure: I'm getting confused now.
Thanks,
Bruce

viper_930

All the anemones shown here are Etacmaea quadricolor, common name bubble-tip anemone. Many people have theories about why some have the bubbles and some don't, but nobody knows for sure.

skench

I have a 25 Gal Tank with roughly 22-25Lbs of Rock. I'd like to get a RTBA.
Right now I have a 32w 10,000k Daylight/460nm Actinic lighting. Do I need to bump it up? If so, what would you recommend.
It's a fairly new set up <6months so I haven't introduced any corals yet, just the rock and of course fish. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

viper_930

skench, I'd say a minimum of 3x65 watt PC lights, but for almost the same price you could go with a Coralife clip-on aqualight which has a 150 watt metal halide light.

ifusayso

Viper, my RBTA looks very similar to yours in terms of size of tips and coloration. I've working at getting it healthy( I was ill-advised prior to learning of this board) and never did anything to feed it perse. Since mine now looks healthy like your RBTA(which is reassuring), I wanted to know about what things you do to keep yours healthy.
I think we have nearly the same wattage of lights I have 4 65 watt pc over a 55(4.7 watts per gallon). I have had it for about 1 1/2 years. What do you feed it, additives you use? I feed squid directly 1-2 times a week. For the whole tank, I used calcium(but at 460~ so I stopped), iodine, stontium, and dt's phytoplankton as suggested on the bottles.
Thanks, Heather
Sorry Bacffin for borrowing your thread...

viper_930

All I do is a 15% water change weekly on the tank. I don't add any additives except for cal/alk for adjustments.
I have a 150 watt MH + 2x65 watt PC lights. I have to admit I do not feed mine, but it still grows faster than I'd like. I've had the mother anemone, which split once, for almost 1 1/2 years. I know if I feed these more regularly they will split more often.