Equipment for 125 Gallon?

azfishgal

OK, I know some of you are probably getting sick of me and I don't even have the stand for my tank yet. Instead of doing a bunch of different threads, I thought it would be easier to just do one (for me that is). I need an equipment list for my tank. I know I need the basics: lights (I think I want T5s), sump/fuge, Power heads, Protein Skimmer, UV, etc. Please give me your opinion on what should go with my tank. Here are some details to help:
125 gallon tank (6' long, 22" deep, 18" wide) reef ready with overflow.
I'm starting with FOWLR but will want anemone and coral in future (easy to take care of coral, nothing difficult)
If you need any more info just ask. Thanks so much. I figure if I order/buy one item every couple of weeks, by the time I get the stand built and water in my tank, I will hopefully have everything I need and it will be less painful than buying everything all at once.

I would set up the sump and refugium first, you could modify an old tank with acrylic sheet and silicon to create separate chambers for you skimmer, and a Refugium. a 55g tank would work pretty good as a sump/fuge for you tank.

lazypinoy

i run this setup, should be good for a fowlr.i use this setup for a reef and
i think i have the same tank dimensions as urs.
sump:(20gallon)
1 asm g-3 skimmer w/ sedra 5000 pump
1 rio 1700 as uv pump
1 25 watt gamma uv
1 Resun 9 watt uv
1 sedra 9000 return
1 250watt via aqua heater
Tank
1 seio 620
1 seio 820
1 seio 1500
3 t-6 vho 140watt
2 vent vans
and just a little more:
3 -5 outlet extensions
1 shock buster
1 15ft extension

teresaq

I used a 55 gal for my fuge/sump, and wish i haddent. It fits in my cabnit great, but it to tall to work in. I cant get my arm all the way to the botton.I wish I had used the 40 gal i have.

mandarin w

Same proplem here, I used a 75 gallon, for the sump in my 180.
These guys should have taken better care of us ladies, and told of about such things.
:cheer:

Nice to see more and more gals getting into the hobby.

jmick

On my 125 I have the following
750 watts MH lighting
55 gallon fuge with another 150mh on it.
Mag 3600 return
1 300 watt Titanium heater and another 100watt.
For Flow I have 1 SEIO 3600, and 2 Rio 3100's. Gonna try the Maxi mod in the next few weeks.
Have a Aqua-C Remora Pro with mag 3, which I need to upgrade, need larger skimmer.
Also run a little filter with activated charcoal 24/7.
Run a Phos Reactor as well.

extremepcs

This is what I have in my 125. No one has flamed me too bad yet, so it must be OK for a FOWLR tank

125g corner flow tank w/ 2 overflow boxes
55g sump/refuge combo (custom)
1200 gph supply pump in sump
Coralife 220 Super Skimmer in sump
140 lbs. live rock (20 lbs in refuge chamber)
Coralife 72" Lunar Aqualight - 4 96w 10k CF lamps
I think I will need to add a powerhead to the main tank and upgrade the lighting if I convert to a reef. Lighting is WAY too expensive. I was looking at a MH light at my LFS and it was like $899! I've seen some on the net for well over $1,000. My wife would strike me dead if I dumped that much on a new light :hilarious
From others advice, I have ordered a RO/DI unit. I have a TON of diatoms in my new tank. I've read that they thrive on the silica found in tap water.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by extremepcs
Lighting is WAY too expensive. I was looking at a MH light at my LFS and it was like $899! I've seen some on the net for well over $1,000. My wife would strike me dead if I dumped that much on a new light :hilarious
What about T5s? I'm reading they are less expensive, bulbs seem to last longer (and are also less expensive), and they are much cooler than the MH. Has anyone else out there found this to be true?

azfishgal

Originally Posted by mandarin w
Same proplem here, I used a 75 gallon, for the sump in my 180.
These guys should have taken better care of us ladies, and told of about such things.

Nice to see more and more gals getting into the hobby.
:hilarious Don't worry, I got your back!

And I've taken note of not getting the 55 gallon for a sump. I think I'm just going to pay the $300 to have one made. I know I can make it cheaper, but I've never done this before and I'm afraid of screwing it up. I should probably get my sump and skimmer first, just to be sure it fits in my stand.

beatlesfan

yeah same goes for me i am settign up a 125g with the same dimensions so i will just take their advice as well azgal

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Beatlesfan
yeah same goes for me i am settign up a 125g with the same dimensions so i will just take their advice as well azgal
Nice to know there is another one in the trenches with me.

azfishgal

This is what I have in my 125. No one has flamed me too bad yet, so it must be OK for a FOWLR tank

125g corner flow tank w/ 2 overflow boxes
55g sump/refuge combo (custom)
1200 gph supply pump in sump
Coralife 220 Super Skimmer in sump
140 lbs. live rock (20 lbs in refuge chamber)
Coralife 72" Lunar Aqualight - 4 96w 10k CF lamps
I think I will need to add a powerhead to the main tank and upgrade the lighting if I convert to a reef. Lighting is WAY too expensive. I was looking at a MH light at my LFS and it was like $899! I've seen some on the net for well over $1,000. My wife would strike me dead if I dumped that much on a new light :hilarious
From others advice, I have ordered a RO/DI unit. I have a TON of diatoms in my new tank. I've read that they thrive on the silica found in tap water.
Is this the skimmer you got?
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=6

azfishgal

No. I got the one rated for 220 gallons. May be overkill... Don't know. I got it at my LFS.
OK, thanks!

scotts

I have a 125 and yes I used my old 55 gallon under the tank as my sump. But then I am cheap. This is the skimmer that I just picked up used. https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=6 I LOVE it. One of the many good things about it is that it is quiet. Many skimmers are loud and I cannot ever hear this one. It is also easy to use and adjust.
HTH
Scott

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Scotts
I have a 125 and yes I used my old 55 gallon under the tank as my sump. But then I am cheap. This is the skimmer that I just picked up used. https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=6 I LOVE it. One of the many good things about it is that it is quiet. Many skimmers are loud and I cannot ever hear this one. It is also easy to use and adjust.
HTH
Scott
That's good to hear, especially after seeing the price. Ouch! But, being quiet and easy to use is worth the money I guess. Thanks for sharing. I will put it on my list of possibilities. Thanks! :happyfish

I agree the ASM line of skimmers are great and if you Modify the Needle wheel with pastic mesh your bubbles created are twice as much.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Copernicus45
I agree the ASM line of skimmers are great and if you Modify the Needle wheel with pastic mesh your bubbles created are twice as much.
I think I'm going to go with the ASM as it seems to get pretty good reviews. Thanks for the tip on the bubbles. :joy:

scotts

Well like I said I am cheap and I bought my skimmer used. So since you have some time before you need a skimmer you might want to look around for a used one. Just trying to help.