Equipment in the basement

lolit

Im going to move a 95 Gal. to the living room that its right above the basement I have this idea in my had for a long time about putting everything in the basement so in the living room its going to be very quite I still don’t know what kind of filterer im going to put but I know I have all the room for what ever I want swamp , skimmer ,wet/dry … is any one ever did that and can give me some hint I will appreciate that .
Amir
:

snipe

Well I can tell you this. If the crap is in the basement you would have to have a "HUGE" pump to put the water back up in the tank.

randy 13

I personally haven't done that but I helped a guy with his aquarium where the filtration is in the basement. His tank is reef ready.
Of course, he has check valves, and an overflow from the sump into a large trashcan with a sump pump in it.
RO/DI
Large container for saltwater.
Automatic topoff to sump.
3' tall skimmer
He doesn't really have a lot of filtration as far as a fuge, sump, etc.
Really, it's a lot like the plumbing you have under your stand, only it's a little farther than that.

J

jfdjason

It's actually very easy to do...Just make sure you have a good return pump and you are ready. Also you might have to "tweak" a overflow....Water falling 12+ feet could create one hell of a splash

bang guy

That's how I run my system.
Be sure to use a pressure rated pump like an Iwaki MD55RLT. Normal circulation pumps lose a lot of ability past 8 feet of head so plan accordingly.
Also be very sure to use an oversize sump. The extra plumbing will hold more whater that you think.
You can also do a closed loop from the basement very effectively.

newfishliny

My suggestion to you is to build a platform , lets say the basement hight is 8 ft . build a square of builder cinder blocks 4 ft hight by 4 ft square . lay 1 or 2 pieces of 3/4 ply on top, its really like a table.The whole idea about this design is that you can use the pump ( return ) with less strain to it and not as strong because you reduce the hight.
good luck
new fish

thangbom

wel.. thats a good idea about raising the filter set-up in a basement to lesson the load on the return pump but if it was me.. i'd just get a bigger pump and have the filter set-up on the floor.. y u ask??.. well it make it a lot easier to do maintence ont he system when the filter is on the floor rather then 4'' off the floor and on a ladder.....

snipe

ThaNgBom how tall are you? If your on a ladder for 4 foot you must be pretty short lol. If its 4 foot off the floor it would probly be right at stomach level and would be easier to do maintence on.

squidd

I run mine in the basement "too"...
And it's a lot easier to maintain at waist level than it is on the "floor"....
Ever try to start a "siphon" on a floor level sump...?????
Drain line "routing" is a concideration, but a good overflow drainline "chamber" should cover most of it...
The big "challange" is proper sizeing of the return pump and line, with addd head pressure..
Definetly a "pressure rated pump" is in order...But other than that...
It's just longer lines to and fro....
"OLD PIC"...

aquaman

Hey, not to get off topic, but how are you supporting the tank on an upper floor? Did you have to put in jacks or anything special? And if you do not mind, would you please give a brief description of how you set it up.:thinking:

mbowker

How about a few details of your basement euipment,
1. What size tank.
2. Is your Display directly above your basement equip.
3. I only see one pipe going up, is there one not visible in the pic?
4. What size pump are you running, and it looks like a mag?

thangbom

hey.. not to call any 1 a dummy .. ah hem ahh hem.... bu.. if the filter stand is 4' of the floor.. and then the tank that u will use as the filter is 20'... wont that make it somewhere 5'8'' off the floor.. then that means my arpit will need to be atleast 5'8'' off the floor to confortably do maintence on the filter... well.. i know im not a tall guy but hey... u gots to be perdy tall to reach like over that and clean it up some.. i mean.. easy access makes it a lot less of a pain in the butt to work in...... all im saying.. ohh yeah.. what brong with being short???....(he he) leave me alone.... let my viet self be....=(

snipe

Where do you get it being 5 foot 8 inches off the floor? If you have it on 4 foot pedastool it would be 4 foot off the floor "unless you have a magic floating sump"

aquaman

Originally posted by Snipe
Where do you get it being 5 foot 8 inches off the floor? If you have it on 4 foot pedastool it would be 4 foot off the floor "unless you have a magic floating sump"

I believe he is adding the height of the tank itself. In that case he would be right.

thangbom

he he.. yeah aquaman.. u tell him!!!!!! lol heheh that sound soo cheesy but cool.... ahhaha and yes i was adding the sump itself... u do have to put it in consideration u know....

snipe

But when you measure you measure from the floor to the bottom of the tank so it would be 4 foot so I win :jumping: :)